Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SB Champs from the 00's you would take over the 1998 Broncos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CP3MVP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: SB Champs from the 00's you would take over the 1998 Broncos Reply with quote

Self explanatory, which Superbowl Champions from 00- present would you take over the 1998 Denver Broncos? Looking back they're one of the most underrated Great teams ever IMO

http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/promotions/chicago/superleague/?teamId=1998
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, that team was stacked, but a team that could stop the run and put the game on Elway's arm would be in the best position to beat them.

If you look at the Broncos loss to the Dolphins that year when they shut down Davis and forced Elway to throw the ball to win the game he struggled. The fact that Bubby Brister was 4-0 as a starter with the Broncos unit in one fell swoop shows the quality of that team as a whole and also brings into a little bit of question the true value of John Elway to that side. I mean, on an offense that scored 30 points per game Elway just threw for 22 touchdowns.

But I think that team can be beat, The Steeler's both years they won in the 00's would probably beat those Broncos. The 02 Buccaneers would have beaten them most likely too.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Not sure, that team was stacked, but a team that could stop the run and put the game on Elway's arm would be in the best position to beat them.

If you look at the Broncos loss to the Dolphins that year when they shut down Davis and forced Elway to throw the ball to win the game he struggled. The fact that Bubby Brister was 4-0 as a starter with the Broncos unit in one fell swoop shows the quality of that team as a whole and also brings into a little bit of question the true value of John Elway to that side. I mean, on an offense that scored 30 points per game Elway just threw for 22 touchdowns.

But I think that team can be beat, The Steeler's both years they won in the 00's would probably beat those Broncos. The 02 Buccaneers would have beaten them most likely too.

If we're going with the greatest defenses as the most likely candidates we might as well throw the 2000 Ravens in there. Their defense would have matched up really well with Denver. They faced a murderer's row of rushing attacks that year and still broke all of the records, that's how dominant they were.

But I think we're just talking about who would rank higher. In that case, the 04 Pats are the only ones with an argument.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, none.

I wouldn't even take the 07 Pats over the 97-98 Broncos. TD would hang 150 on that weak defense.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Uh, none.

I wouldn't even take the 07 Pats over the 97-98 Broncos. TD would hang 150 on that weak defense.

4th in both points and yards = weak defense

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Uh, none.

Not to mention you never know in the playoffs. Remember how Larry Johnson was supposed to absolutely murder the Colts' horrible run D back in the '06(?) wild card game at Indy?

Plus, Bill is known for being able to take away the opposing team's best player every week. Not saying the Broncos didn't have the passing attack to compete with the Patriots, but they sure would need it along with Davis.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Uh, none.

Well, when you play against QB's like Kyle Boller, A.J. Feeley, Cleo Lemon, Kellen Clemens, and a young Trent Edwards, what do you expect?
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Uh, none.

Well, when you play against QB's like Kyle Boller, A.J. Feeley, Cleo Lemon, Kellen Clemens, and a young Trent Edwards, what do you expect?

Yeah, that's not at all misleading.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohlmann20 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Uh, none.

Not to mention you never know in the playoffs. Remember how Larry Johnson was supposed to absolutely murder the Colts' horrible run D back in the '06(?) wild card game at Indy?

Plus, Bill is known for being able to take away the opposing team's best player every week. Not saying the Broncos didn't have the passing attack to compete with the Patriots, but they sure would need it along with Davis.

I remember and as a KC fan, I expected LJ to get completely shut down....I knew the Colts would put 8 or 9 in the box and force a rusty Trent Green to beat them...Herm Edwards for some reason didn't expect this.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronco's weren't even the best team in 1998.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Bohlmann20 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Uh, none.

I remember and as a KC fan, I expected LJ to get completely shut down....I knew the Colts would put 8 or 9 in the box and force a rusty Trent Green to beat them...Herm Edwards for some reason didn't expect this.

Yeah, I don't know if people were really expecting domination. The Chiefs did not leave a good impression that year, and their playoff appearance was considered a total fluke by pretty much evertyone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:

Not recordwise, no. The Vikes were.

And, I am glad that Elway went out on top, but I wish that they would have played Minnesota. That would have been an outstanding Super Bowl.

I know that this thread is just the 98 Broncos against the 2000's SB winners, but I would take those 96-98 Broncos and the 98 Vikings over any of those 2000's champs, and I would take them over a lot of teams in the Super Bowl Myth era (85 Bears, 84 Niners, etc...).
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Uh, none.

Weak defense? What are you talking about? The 07 Patriots defense was very good...

Weak defense is laughable.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Not recordwise, no. The Vikes were.

And, I am glad that Elway went out on top, but I wish that they would have played Minnesota. That would have been an outstanding Super Bowl.

I know that this thread is just the 98 Broncos against the 2000's SB winners, but I would take those 96-98 Broncos and the 98 Vikings over any of those 2000's champs, and I would take them over a lot of teams in the Super Bowl Myth era (85 Bears, 84 Niners, etc...).

Here's thing about the ridiculously stupidly named Super Bowl Myth: if the AFC was so much worse back then, doesn't that make the NFC even better? And since they played NFC teams about 15 times out of 19 or so, wouldn't that actually make their accomplishments MORE impressive?

And seriously, the 49ers played a 14-2 team led by Dan Marino and won by 22 points. How is that not the greatest performance by any team in any Super Bowl?

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Uh, none.

Weak defense? What are you talking about? The 07 Patriots defense was very good...

Weak defense is laughable.

4th in YPG, 4th in PPG allowed. It was actually one of the best defenses in the NFL that year.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: