Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ESPN stat that exposed Christian Ponder
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NFLFan76

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: ESPN stat that exposed Christian Ponder Reply with quote

I haven't seen one Vikings game this season but it was stated on ESPN a few days ago that Ponder is averaging just under 6 yds a pass. And that explains why he hasn't thrown a INT yet because the coach doesn't have him doing much during the game. So Ponder is not doing anything all that spectacular after 4 weeks with the stats below

The longest pass he has thrown this season is 29 yds???

So how long do the Vikings plan to HIDE their QB? Is it that they don't trust him? That has to be the case since he has not thrown a pass over 30 yds all season
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exposing sounds like everyone thought he was a great QB and he actually isn't. Right now, he's an average QB playing in a conservative offense that will start to open up as he progresses.

And just because he hasn't thrown the ball more than 30 yards doesn't mean they don't trust him. They are winning. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
mozwanted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he isnt known for his arm. Hes a chad pennington type qb
green24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:

That's exactly what I thought of him when he was drafted last year. Not that there's anything wrong with Chad Pennington...

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do agree the offense is dumbed down for him and he is a game manager the following shows that you cant simply go by YPA

Ponder 6.7

Rodgers 6.8
Stafford 6.8
Rivers 7.1

So YPA isnt everything.

The long of only 29 is a real concern though. This is not a team built to come from behind so they will have to rely on the defense and run game.

SF dumbed down their playbook for A. Smith last year and it worked well.

Everyone will say he has a high comp % but that is the design. All the above guys I mentioned in that range also have a high % too. That is why I listed them. All top ten in league in comp %

Ponder is a game manager and they can win with it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Exposing sounds like everyone thought he was a great QB and he actually isn't. Right now, he's an average QB playing in a conservative offense that will start to open up as he progresses.

And just because he hasn't thrown the ball more than 30 yards doesn't mean they don't trust him. They are winning. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

How long do you think they can hide him? lol They might as well let him fail so he can get better. Hiding him is not helping him develop
NFLFan76

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:

If he is known for his arm then how did he get awarded the job? Isn't one of the requirements of playing QB is to THROW THE BALL
NFLFan76

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
While I do agree the offense is dumbed down for him and he is a game manager the following shows that you cant simply go by YPA

Ponder 6.7

Rodgers 6.8
Stafford 6.8
Rivers 7.1

So YPA isnt everything.

The long of only 29 is a real concern though. This is not a team built to come from behind so they will have to rely on the defense and run game.

Everyone will say he has a high comp % but that is the design. All the above guys I mentioned in that range also have a high % too. That is why I listed them. All top ten in league in comp %

So he is making a nice salary to MANAGE THE GAME?? Wow, must be nice. Is his father working in the front office?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: ESPN stat that exposed Christian Ponder Reply with quote

NFLFan76 wrote:
I haven't seen one Vikings game this season but it was stated on ESPN a few days ago that Ponder is averaging just under 6 yds a pass. And that explains why he hasn't thrown a INT yet because the coach doesn't have him doing much during the game. So Ponder is not doing anything all that spectacular after 4 weeks with the stats below

The longest pass he has thrown this season is 29 yds???

So how long do the Vikings plan to HIDE their QB? Is it that they don't trust him? That has to be the case since he has not thrown a pass over 30 yds all season

First three weeks of the year, the Vikings didnt have a consistent down field threat due to Jerome Simpson's suspension. Simpson came back last week against Detroit, but that was such a weird game where MN really didnt have much of a chance to open things up on offense.

Give Ponder a chance with Simpson integrated into the offense before you look to much into the stats. Percy Harvin and Michael Jenkins simply arent down field receivers and Devin Aromshodu just isnt that good of a #3 WR.

Analyze the games and situations he has been put in before discrediting him due to a poor YPA. Throw in the 49ers game too, Ponder played great but the 49ers arent the type of defense where you want to start throwing it around. I dont think anyone is calling Ponder a great QB or a proven QB, he is still young and playing in an offense that does not have a viable down field receiver (maybe Simpson can be that guy, who knows). Colts game just wasnt good for anybody on the Vikes, nothing seemed to work. Jags game, Ponder played solid.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:29 am; edited 2 times in total
joru1000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He took two deep shots last week which were 50+. Both of them were called DPI.

Christian Ponder hasn't been in a situation this season where he had to throw deep balls because we've had the lead in every game we've played except the Colts, in which he drove the ball down field to tie it and send it to overtime.

Last edited by joru1000 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFLFan76 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Ponder 6.7

Rodgers 6.8
Stafford 6.8
Rivers 7.1

So YPA isnt everything.

So he is making a nice salary to MANAGE THE GAME?? Wow, must be nice. Is his father working in the front office?

Okay. Realize you are trolling now.

You totally ignored

Ponder 6.7

Rodgers 6.8
Stafford 6.8
Rivers 7.1

Heck Rodgers is labeled as best QB in league and his YPA is nearly identical. He must suck too

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two reasons for this:

1) He is still a very young quarterback who is learning to play at the NFL level. No use in trying to push him beyond his abilities at this point as long as the team is winning.

2) Ponder hasn't really had any WR's who can consistently get open on deep routes. The one receiver we have who can be considered a deep threat is Jerome Simpson, and he wasn't playing for the first three games due to suspension.

Ponder has essentially been playing with a Pro-Bowl caliber slot receiver (Harvin) and a very good young TE (Kyle Rudolph). I wouldn't even consider Simpson a true #1 receiver for that matter. So far I'm happy with what Ponder has been doing. He isn't making too many mistakes, and we are winning. Not much more you can ask for when you have a young QB and limited weapons in the receiving corps.

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFLFan76 wrote:
mozwanted wrote:

If he is known for his arm then how did he get awarded the job? Isn't one of the requirements of playing QB is to THROW THE BALL

Because clearly, bombers like Jamarcus Russell and Jeff George were the ones lighting up the league amirite? Oh wait...

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point OP is making carries a little weight because the coaching staff does try to protect Ponder by giving him highly simplified options in the passing game but that worthwhile analysis is lost in the midst of his obvious trolling. *shrug*

Peppers90 on the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder's throwing velocity is just fine. Sure he doesnt have a cannon to chuck it 60+ yards downfield, but that is a throw that Qbs rarely make so who really cares.

Ponder can push the ball 45 yards down field and he has enough zip to fit it into tight windows. Ponder's struggles have come from ball placement and decision making. Ponder has a comparable arm to Drew Brees when Brees was still a young QB in SD. It took Brees awhile to figure out the capabilities of his arm at the next level.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: