Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let's hear it for the D - "The Bowles effect"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Let's hear it for the D - "The Bowles effect" Reply with quote

Ever since Andy Reid announced that Juan Castillo will be taking over the defense on February 2nd 2011, our defense has had its ups and downs, but now itís starting to look like those that I knew once I became an Eagles fan in the early/mid 00s. This has really became apparent this year where our defense is ranked in the top 12 in total yards, passing yards and rushing yards.

In my opinion, this improvement has come from three main areas:

An offseason

With the lockout last year, Juan didnít have time to implement his defense properly. We were trying things out on the fly, meshing a number of different systems. It also didnít help that I donít think Andy gave Juan as much support as he should have done Ė my view on Washburn is well known, but he also seems to be someone who only cares about his D Line and isnít much concerned about the gameplanning aspect. This year, Juan has had an offseason to implement his ideas and has the experience of last year to know what works and what doesnít.

Todd Bowles

Bowles has come in and given us an experienced head, coaching the back 4. Quite often last year there was miscommunication between the cornerbacks and safeties resulting in big plays.
Bowles also brings his experience to the gameplanning part of the coaching. At times last year, Castillo just looked out of his depth, not knowing what to do. Bowles has brought his knowledge to our team which can be seen immediately, both from the fact that we are using less wide 9 and our defense seems much more robust.

Mychal Kendricks and Demeco Ryans

I wasnít sure about Kendricks come draft time Ė I thought he would be too small to play SAM. Well I was wrong, Kendricks has stepped in immediately. He gives us that linebacker who can keep up with the backs and tight ends as the NFL transitions to a passing league.

The pick-up of Ryans must be one of the best moves of the offseason. He brings experience and leadership that our team has missed, really since Dawkins left. Itís a far cry from the last couple of years where we have had a turnstile approach to our linebackers.

So letís give it up to our defense. Ever since 08, we havenít had a defense to rely on. Now we do, which is a timely thing, particularly with our offense being quite volatile.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A need with Vick trying to break the single season turnover record.

Credit all around to Bowles, Juan and our much needed talent infusion at Linebacker. And Babin have actually played the run this year, so while he most likely won't get 18 sacks this season, overall he's a much more complete DE.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
A need with Vick trying to break the single season turnover record.

Credit all around to Bowles, Juan and our much needed talent infusion at Linebacker. And Babin have actually played the run this year, so while he most likely won't get 18 sacks this season, overall he's a much more complete DE.

Yeh, I think Bowles has brought some much needed sense to our defensive meetings. I fully expect Washburn pressuring Juan to run the wide 9 every play last year. Now Bowles is the calm head saying "You know you can get sacks without having your DEs in different time zones"

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
RainbowCarebear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the wide 9, I think players/execution is more important. But maybe Bowles is the one tying everything together.

Big challenge against the Steelers.

And we still have the screw ups in the Secondary, but that's more because of the play action fakes, Kurt falls for it everytime.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I don't mind the wide 9, I think players/execution is more important. But maybe Bowles is the one tying everything together.

And we still have the screw ups in the Secondary, but that's more because of the play action fakes, Kurt falls for it everytime.

Yeh, I expect us to upgrade Coleman in the offseason.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Meco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much credit for a DB coach.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:

A DB coach who has been:

i) An assistant Head Coach
ii) An interim Head Coach

And who declined defensive coordinator positions to be our DB coach

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
RainbowCarebear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where was he offered a DC position?

marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:

I think Minnesota and Denver

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Meco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

I think Minnesota and Denver

It was Oakland. The only other job he turned down was the Bengals DB coach job. Link.

Quote:
According to the Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane, former Dolphins interim head coach Todd Bowles was offered the Bengals defensive backs position. Bowles ultimately accepted the same position with the Philadelphia Eagles. According to McLane, Bowles also declined the Oakland Raiders defensive coordinator position.
Meco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Meco wrote:

A DB coach who has been:

What exactly has he done? Nnamdi played just as well as he's doing this year last year. DRC was amazing in relief of Asante Samuel on the outside last year. Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman aren't worlds better this year than they were last year, they actually gelled quite nicely last year when they actually started together.

Are we crediting Bowles with the play of Demeco Ryans and Mychal Kendricks? Are we crediting him with the consistent winning of the line of scrimmage?

I'm sure Bowles has done good things for us but to imply he's wholly or largely responsible for the improved play is false IMO, the "Bowles effect" is largely overblown. I prefer to credit the Juandamentals. Wink
LOLKevinKolb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Bowles but the D's turnaround has a lot more to do with DeMeco than him.

Accountability is a hell of a thing...

RainbowCarebear wrote:
And use the boners for soup to survive through the winter

Bird Watch: Keelan Johnson - one magnificent tackle
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
Meco wrote:

A DB coach who has been:

What exactly has he done? Nnamdi played just as well as he's doing this year last year. DRC was amazing in relief of Asante Samuel on the outside last year. Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman aren't worlds better this year than they were last year, they actually gelled quite nicely last year when they actually started together.

Are we crediting Bowles with the play of Demeco Ryans and Mychal Kendricks? Are we crediting him with the consistent winning of the line of scrimmage?

I'm sure Bowles has done good things for us but to imply he's wholly or largely responsible for the improved play is false IMO, the "Bowles effect" is largely overblown. I prefer to credit the Juandamentals. Wink

I'm not inferring its only him, but he is a part of the improvement.

I just liked the title - no need to get over hyped about one thing.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Kiltman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Yeh, I expect us to upgrade Coleman in the offseason.

Yea I like Coleman, but this is probably the most stacked safety class in a long time. It's hard to imagine we won't draft one in the first two rounds.

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't directed at particularly anybody, just think it applies to these type of discussions.

There is a fundamental problem with the way most fans see the NFL.

People like to concentrate responsibilities on one person. For whatever reason, they don't see the NFL as the intricate system of devices and many, many moving parts, mixed with a full array of the irrational and the predictable, the x's, and o's, the balances and imbalances that define almost every facet of the NFL.

Two easy ways to show what I'm talking about:

Roger Goodell is the bad guy.

How many times have you heard this being said? And you know what? If you've heard it, you've heard it from a guy who doesn't understand what he does. You heard a guy who has undermined the complex position he is in and concentrated everything to one man. And if you've said this or thought this yourself, then you're that guy.

People often forget that Goodell represents all the owners in the league. If Goodell is "ruining the league", and he represents the interests of the owners, then thus we can conclude that the guys who own the league are ruining the league.

My dog could understand the flaw in that.

Andy Reid can't draft.

This one makes me laugh all the time.

By attributing every draft pick to Andy Reid fans undermine the scores of staff that are involved with the scouting, film watching, interviewing, inviting, working out, making deals with other teams, making deals with free agents, and a plethora of other things that factor into the eventual drafting of a player.

People say he has the "final say". Even if he had the final say, it doesn't mean he regularly trumps the information and decisions of probably nearly 100 involved, paid personnel who are doing their jobs.

I love how people assume the QB coach from Green Bay is all of a sudden the be-all, end-all of drafting safeties. I bet Andy has very little to do with the drafting of a strong safety, for example. I mean what the heck qualifies him to do that? The head coach more or less coordinates the coordinators and makes the bigger decisions.

And yet, people do this all the time and concentrate all responsibilities to one person.

How it applies to this thread.

We can't assume one person is responsible for the ups and downs of this defense. That is why I also continued to be optimistic about Juan Castillo as well, while everyone castrated him.

We can't also apply the current success to only Juan, or only Bowles, or only Demeco (not saying anyone is doing this).

But rather the culmination of all these pieces, some which have been a work-in-progress for years and continues to be so today.

I think the success of our defense today is largely due in part to the various coaching staffs who have been brought in to help Juan Castillo's defense, as well as the personnel decisions that have been made. Washburn and Bowles are both two integral parts to this defense, because when you have the wide-9 you really need your secondary to be ready for the holes the wide-9 creates, as well as the opportunities it creates.

If the coaches can't work together, then the players on the field won't come together.

Also Demeco Ryans... how long have we been calling for a guy who makes a difference at linebacker, especially MIDDLE LINEBACKER? It's quite obvious the impact such a player can make.

Good post Marky, sorry for the long rant.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: