Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The O Line – From a strength to a weakness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our line reviewed

Quote:
The truth is, the Eagles are not going to get that protection consistently with this line. Three of the five offensive linemen – Bell, Reynolds and Danny Watkins – are question marks.

Quote:
Demetress Bell – I think you can get by with Bell if he plays like he did on Sunday. In some ways, it was a King Dunlap-like performance. He wasn’t great, but he didn’t kill them. Overall, there seemed to be too many plays where general confusion among the offensive linemen led to pressure. For example, the Steelers fooled the Eagles on a third down in the third, showing six at the line of scrimmage, but only rushing four. Brett Keisel went right between Bell and Evan Mathis. Neither guy blocked anyone.

Quote:
Evan Mathis – He was OK, but this wasn’t Mathis’ best performance.

Quote:
Dallas Reynolds – Hate to repeat myself, but once again, confusion.

Quote:
Danny Watkins – It looked like he probably missed his assignment in the first. The Steelers rushed four. The Eagles had six in to block, and Timmons rushed Vick unblocked, leading to a sack.

Quote:
Todd Herremans – Nice bounce-back game after Herremans had issues against the Giants. He was clean in pass protection throughout the game. And he did a nice job on the Vick QB draw that resulted in a fumble.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
JayAp07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a center and LT who shouldn't even be on an NFL roster starting for us right now. Watkins is a huge let down as well. He's more of a back-up caliber player.

Then take into effect the poor play calling with the 100 step drop backs and all deep routes with no check downs or dump offs.

Then factor in the poor QB play by Vick with all of his problems and deficiencies

Annnnddd you have a recipe for disaster.

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watkins is a pretty good run blocker, but pass protection is always an adventure.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAp07 wrote:
We have a center and LT who shouldn't even be on an NFL roster starting for us right now. Watkins is a huge let down as well. He's more of a back-up caliber player.

Yeh, I would say we have 3 players performing below average and 2 players performing average.

If we were full fit, we would have 3 average's, 1 elite and 1 below average

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
Watkins is a pretty good run blocker, but pass protection is always an adventure.

He's just inconsistent. One play he's next he's getting beaten or just completely missing his blitzer.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
oland11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
WhackyPlague wrote:

He's just inconsistent. One play he's next he's getting beaten or just completely missing his blitzer.

If I had his size/height strength I could do a better job in pass-pro than him.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watkins is soft, he just not a big nasty dude, hes aggressive one play then looks like a thesbian for the next 5 plays. STUPID.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Watkins is soft, he just not a big nasty dude, hes aggressive one play then looks like a thesbian for the next 5 plays. STUPID.

What? He's not Runyan nasty, but I doubt aggression is the problem.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chance we move to:

Dunlap, Mathis, Reynolds, Herremens, Bell

?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Chance we move to:

Dunlap, Mathis, Reynolds, Herremens, Bell

?

Herremans was a LG iIrc, but TBH, that line-up wouldn't bother me compared to our current look.
Meco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be moving Todd Herremans to left tackle, King Dunlap to right tackle and put in Steve Vallos at center.
LOLKevinKolb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vick's blindside is the right, queeny or mattress at RT just makes our situation worse. Maybe when we insert Glory Foles

RainbowCarebear wrote:
And use the boners for soup to survive through the winter

Bird Watch: Keelan Johnson - one magnificent tackle
Phire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vick is basically blind to all sides so it doesn't matter. Maybe he should take his visor off

Cool Shocked

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Meco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLKevinKolb wrote:
Vick's blindside is the right, queeny or mattress at RT just makes our situation worse. Maybe when we insert Glory Foles

1. Precedent
-If putting your best player on the blind side was really the priority, why has Jason Peters been playing left tackle for Michael Vick over the past two and a half years? When Peters and Dunlap were out last season, the Eagles moved Herremans to left tackle and put Winston Justice at right tackle. Surely no one here is prepared to argue that Winston Justice is better than Herremans. The Eagles play their best tackle on the left side for a number of reasons and thats the way its always been and the way it should be.

2. Pass Rushers
-Do you know how many starting left handed QBs there are in the NFL? One. Michael Vick. The only other notable lefty is Tim Tebow. That means for the other 31 teams the left side of the line is the “blind side”. Teams put their best pass rusher on the right side of their defense because of this. They do not flip their defensive ends for one week only. Some players are more comfortable on their respective side and it changes their responsibilities on the line, teams simply won’t flip their players for one game. The left tackle has always and will continue to face the opposing team’s best pass rusher a majority of the time. Obviously there are a few exceptions (Charles Johnson most notably) but 24 of the top 30 players in sacks played a majority of their snaps on the right side of the defense (going against the left tackle). Obviously you’d like to negate the opposing teams best pass rusher so you put your best lineman on them. Logic’d.

3. “The Sight Side”
-Everyone makes such a huge deal about the blind side but what about the front side? You don’t think having to watch a 270 pound man barrel down on you might throw a wrench into things? I don’t know about you but I’d more scared of the guy I could see gunning for me. And we all know how skittish Michael Vick can be in the pocket, pressure off the frontside really gets to him.

4. The Strong Side
-More often than not the right side ends up being the side the tight end lines up on, thus it is the strong side. Because of this you can afford the right tackle pass blocking help while limiting your offense less. So this means that if your right tackle struggles, you can help them more easily which suggests that your best tackle on the left side and put your second best tackle against the second best pass rusher where you can help them more easily. More logic’d.

I’m not saying Herremans will move but ruling it out simply because he plays the “blind side” is kind of silly. Todd Herremans has performed every time he's been asked to play LT and I wouldn't hesitate to move him there now.
Phire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Meco!

I would like seeing a 6 man line at this point:

DUNLAP-MATHIS-REYNOLDS-HERREMENS-BELL-HARBOR/CELEK

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: