Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith (CAR) HOF receivers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLAZO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Are Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith (CAR) HOF receivers? Reply with quote

Just would like to see everyone's opinions on them.

Career stats:

Steve Smith: 5 time Pro Bowler, 2 time First Team All Pro, Triple crown in 2005, 10278 career yards, 59 career TD's

Reggie Wayne: 5 time Pro Bowler, 1 time First Team All Pro, Super Bowl winner, 11708 career yards, 73 career TD's

Thoughts and opinions?

Last edited by BLAZO on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wayne definitely makes it. He put up elite numbers while being the #2 WR for the better part of his career; and no, I don't think he put those numbers up because of his counterpart.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Wayne, not a chance. He will always be overshadowed by Harrison and Manning and I dont think Wayne ever dominated long enough to be considered a HOFer. Wayne had a nice stretch from 2006 to 2010, not sure it is HOF worthy in the end.

I would be more inclined to put Smith in over Wayne, but i am not sure Smith is HOF worthy either.

i'd lean towards no for both.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne will likely fall into the Hall of the Very Good and as much as I hate to say it, Smith doesn't have a chance unless he ends his career really, really strong. He is still sitting at only 59 touchdowns at 32 years old. That alone hurts him a lot I would think.
jargin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its strange how all of these wide receivers keep coming up for the HOF and how many great WR's there are in the current era of football. In terms of production, I think they are both hall of famers. As a pure receiver, Wayne can do a little bit more but as a football player, the highest compliment, Steve Smith is better. Smith is just an awesome guy to watch play football. Wayne is a bit more finesse and Smith has raw power and attitude. Thats how I see them. I would put both in the hall if it were up to me. Look at all of the incredible plays and catches they have made in playoff games, Super Bowls and the regular season. Steve Smith just can't be stopped sometimes and Wayne has been a playmaker since day 1. Both great players.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Cris Carter still can't get into the Hall of Fame I don't know how these two will...

Bridgewater's response to "Teddy Time"
Quote:
Itís not [nice], Iím still the young guy here and I still have a lot to prove and I still have a lot to work for.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither has a chance IMO unless they finish off with HUGE, memorable seasons capped off with them being a SB MVP or something.

Both were consdiered elite at one point or another in their careers, but amongst all time greats they dont stnad out at all. Dont get me wrong, they are MORE TALENTED than several WRs in the HOF, but its not simply about talent. Its about standing out in some way, and neither of them do. Wayne was a very good WR who IMO benefited from playing with one of the best ever. Steve Smith is very good as well but definitely not HOF caliber.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TearsOfPurple wrote:
If Cris Carter still can't get into the Hall of Fame I don't know how these two will...

Basically this. Carter is a far superior player to both Smith and Wayne, and its taken him a few years. Carter will eventually get in, but it goes to show, WRs have a tougher time these days. There are just so many good ones with the explosion of passing offenses. Smith and Wayne were largely over shadowed by others in the 2000s.
qc_panthers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith has a chance but he need 3-4 good season. He need 4000 yards to be in the top 10 for all-purpose yards and 5000 to be in the top 5. He also has some memorable moment in his career like the triple crown, the playoff catch against the rams...
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Wayne will likely fall into the Hall of the Very Good and as much as I hate to say it, Smith doesn't have a chance unless he ends his career really, really strong. He is still sitting at only 59 touchdowns at 32 years old. That alone hurts him a lot I would think.

Completely agree. Smith would have to get to at least 80 TD's to have a chance, and he's actually 33 already, so I just don't think he'll be able to keep getting those type of numbers.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

Completely agree. Smith would have to get to at least 80 TD's to have a chance, and he's actually 33 already, so I just don't think he'll be able to keep getting those type of numbers.

Kind of unfair to Smith, not getting to play with a statistically dominant QB. Had Smith and Newton's careers aligned more closely, there was HOF ability in Smith.
mfw096

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne yes and Smith maybe. Smith needs atleast another great season or two I think.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

Kind of unfair to Smith, not getting to play with a statistically dominant QB. Had Smith and Newton's careers aligned more closely, there was HOF ability in Smith.

Maybe he never got to play with an elite QB, but Delhomme for a while was a lot better than what most guys get to work with.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither have a chance.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Somefootballfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne was very good for a period of time, but I don't think he is HOF material. If a HOF caliber player had Manning as their quarterback and played opposite of Marvin Harrison, they should have put together a much better career by now, wouldn't you think? Not that his career hasn't been very good, but to me, just doesn't say HOF, and his on the field ability never made me say "Boy he'll be a HOFer one day" like someone might say about Peterson or Brady.

As for Steve Smith, I think in his prime he had HOF caliber talent, but just wasn't in a situation to really do anything with it. I don't think he's put together a HOF career, and rarely do players get into the HOF on their actual skill over their career.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: