Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Ups / Downs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
3rivers wrote:
grubs10 wrote:
3rivers wrote:
up

3. D stinks. I don't care about the score, because philly gave a good part of the game away. Philly converted on the 4th downs, and ran the ball decently. Learn how to hit without getting penalties, but that could be coaches fault as well? Woodley and Troy injuries are not good for the D either. Now this unit is even worse.
I thought the D played pretty well today. People underestimate how hard Vick makes a short yardage situation because they have so many ways to get that one yard. We held Shady to 50 yards and I think he is one of the best if not the best runners in the game. Both of the personal fouls were pretty iffy in my opinion. And we were playing with a rusty Harrison and without Troy and Wood for most of the game

I agree , considering what players are now out and how Harrison is going to take a while to get back into form. Having said that, I don't like the D as it is, no excuses. Maybe a bit better than in previous weeks, but this D is not looking anywhere near a top D, just too many weaknesses . At least timmons played well, so people here (myself included) can compliment his game this week . Taylor needs to stop taking the penalties. Clarks penalty was also uncalled for, so to me there is a discipline issue here. It is difficult enough to beat good teams, no point in helping them with penalties, and lots of them.

Sorry, but what was Clark's penalty for? WR didn't seem like he was defenseless to me. I was confused.

Yeah, the call on Clark was BS.

It was a late hit, not helmet to helmet or hitting a defenseless player.

The whistle blew while Clark was in stride and was blown just before Clark hit him.

Ive been hard on Clark in the past for stupid mistakes similar to the one he was penalized for today, but today I dont blame him.

Refs were clearly in bed with the Eagles today. I acknowledge there were some bad calls on both sides, but the refs were one sided most of the game, especially the 2nd half. They called Colon for holds four times....and he deserved every one....but there were just as blatant of holds from the Eagles OLine and not one was called.

The only difference between the real refs and the replacement refs was tempo of the game. The real refs botch just as many calls.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up
1.NO SACKS - Against the Iggles that is a good job.
2.Mendenhall - job well done, impressive catching and running.
3.Ben - this guy is carrying this team, love his efficiency, completion %, TD/int ratio, QBR, and the team's passing numbers, etc.
4.Timmons
5.Defense improved but they are still weak in too many areas, and injured. 3rd downs are still a concern, run d played better and pressure improved, and they hit Vick throughout the game.
6.Suisham

Downs
1.too many drops
2.too many penalties
3.poor Run blocking still
4.Injuries
5.Where is Cameron Heyward?
6.Red zone eff = 1/4, goal to go efficiency=0/1
7.Got to get Raney into space better
8.Colon is a turd

Thanks Lyasr 529
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP:

1. Lawrence Timmons - The 2010 version showed up today and was all over the place.
2. Rashard Mendenhall - Made an immediate impact in his first game back.
3. Pass protection - Excellent job against a real good pash rush defense.
4. Shaun Suisham - He's been perfect on the year and was clutch today even when the conditions weren't ideal in the least.
5. Game winning FG drive - A beautifully called drive and the execution was outstanding as well. Roethlisberger was calm throughout and everyone did their job well.

DOWN:

1. Willie Colon - Someday he won't be with the team. Someday.
2. Injuries to Polamalu and Woodley - Not good when Troy had three weeks off and reinjures his calf in less than a quarter. Hopefully Wood's hammy won't keep him out as long as last years did.
3. 9 penalties for 106 yards - Ouch. Some were questionable but they need to clean up that aspect of their game.
4. Mike Wallace - He was invisible today.
5. Drops - One of the few times I've put the WR corps as a down. The rain might have done something with the drops but still they were catchable.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP

1. Timmons - Very good. He was an animal.
2. Mendenhall - Some tough running and seemed to run north-south which was always the big knock on him (that he didn't).
3. Run Blocking as a whole and Colon's run blocking especially. Only reason I single out Colon is so people realise that he was great in run blocking and not decent. Also, so people don't go away with a biased view of him this game that he played crap throughout every play.
4. Brown - Dropped a ball or two himself but overall is our best WR.
5. Sushi - Brilliant.
6. Butler - I think he's been good all year, his average is down but from what I remember he has had short fields to work with a lot.

DOWN

1. Colon's pass blocking - Penalties were very annoying.
2. Injuries - It's getting stupid now.
3. Taylor - Has given away a lot of penalties this year and hasn't exactly been shutting anyone down.
4. Baltimore winning a tight one.
5. Wallace - Not good today, just an off day.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
3rivers wrote:
grubs10 wrote:
3rivers wrote:
up

3. D stinks. I don't care about the score, because philly gave a good part of the game away. Philly converted on the 4th downs, and ran the ball decently. Learn how to hit without getting penalties, but that could be coaches fault as well? Woodley and Troy injuries are not good for the D either. Now this unit is even worse.
I thought the D played pretty well today. People underestimate how hard Vick makes a short yardage situation because they have so many ways to get that one yard. We held Shady to 50 yards and I think he is one of the best if not the best runners in the game. Both of the personal fouls were pretty iffy in my opinion. And we were playing with a rusty Harrison and without Troy and Wood for most of the game

I agree , considering what players are now out and how Harrison is going to take a while to get back into form. Having said that, I don't like the D as it is, no excuses. Maybe a bit better than in previous weeks, but this D is not looking anywhere near a top D, just too many weaknesses . At least timmons played well, so people here (myself included) can compliment his game this week . Taylor needs to stop taking the penalties. Clarks penalty was also uncalled for, so to me there is a discipline issue here. It is difficult enough to beat good teams, no point in helping them with penalties, and lots of them.

Sorry, but what was Clark's penalty for? WR didn't seem like he was defenseless to me. I was confused.

Yeah, the call on Clark was BS.

It was a late hit, not helmet to helmet or hitting a defenseless player.

The whistle blew while Clark was in stride and was blown just before Clark hit him.

Ive been hard on Clark in the past for stupid mistakes similar to the one he was penalized for today, but today I dont blame him.

Refs were clearly in bed with the Eagles today. I acknowledge there were some bad calls on both sides, but the refs were one sided most of the game, especially the 2nd half. They called Colon for holds four times....and he deserved every one....but there were just as blatant of holds from the Eagles OLine and not one was called.

The only difference between the real refs and the replacement refs was tempo of the game. The real refs botch just as many calls.

Clarks penalty was a late hit IMO, and I like the hitting Clark brings, but we need to keep withing whatever rules are in effect at the time (which is anyones guess I suppose). Timmons forearm to sanchez, this one with clark, some that I forget. My point was the undisciplined penalized hits. I think Mundy's was ok though.

As for colon, I saw a few other plays he could have been called as well. Do officials get tired of calling penalties on the same player.

Btw, where does colon rank wrt penalties by an OL or any other player for that matter? He gets a few a game, yet it just seems normal and accepted by the steelers. This team is a passing team, but the highest paid OL holds way too much - go figure?

And about the replacement refs; it looked like replacement steelers out there in the first half and they had a bye to prepare for this one. I blame the coaches, then the players and it shows that this team is far away from being where they should be in many aspects (coaching, discipline mainly)
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up

Mendy I'm always gonna ride with him because I believe he can easily be one of the best backs in the league. He came back today and restored order to the running game.

Timmons I think he's the one player that relies on Troy unpredictability the most. I've noticed that when Troy is running around causing confusing Timmons is at peak performance.

Big Ben he missed some big plays today but was efficient when needed.

Usage of a FB Mendy's two big runs counting the one that was called back. W. Johnson was the reason for those runs when he was lined up in the backfield.

Down

Refs I agree with Big Ben I think on some of those holding calls W. Colon just pancaked his man. If a defensive players is already going to the ground and the OL pushes him that way doesn't necessarily mean he held him do so. The hit by Mundy was BS. I'll say that Clark has to understand that the Steelers are being targeted and anything that looks like a questionable hit will be call against them.

Injuries the season is longer now since the bye week was early

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP
1. The people that actually use 5 UP/Down in the traditional format
2. Harrison made it thru the entire game
3. I got sleep, but still was able to see the end of the game
4. No sacks, amazing
5. Interior D-line sacks

DOWN
1. We still have just 1 Interception (I bring this up because someone tried to tell me a stat about how the Steelers are among the leaders in turnover ratio traditionally/over the last 3-4 years)
2. Troy re-injury
3. Woodley hamstring
4. Colon holding penalties
5. I didn't see whole game or record so missed out on Timmons

...you have a forum resume?
lionslicer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmons actually earned his paycheck for once. Looks like he put in some extra work in the bye week. Maybe he'll keep that up.

I thought the line was so bad, there would be no way Mendy could do any better than Redman/Dwyer. I'm glad I was wrong, first game black, looked good. But then again, Eagles run defense is average.

Ben playing out of his mind. If the offensive line wasn't so bad, and there weren't some drops, his stats would be a lot better.

Some downs.

The offensive penalties. Not just the holding, but illegal formation and jumping offsides as a receiver are just stupid penalties that could be avoided.

Troy being injured this much reminds me of 2009 when he only played 5 games.

Colon couldn't pass block a fly.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Timmons. People claimed he looked better, athletically-wise but I don't think that's what happened. I think Lebeau finally opened the playbook a bit and allow Timmons to be himself more. I have seen some plays where Timmons was sitting and then decided to go for it, he succeed. This was against Michael Vick, imagine how he can do it against Hasselback next week? We need to let Timmons play more natural for him to contribute more.

- Pass-rushing. While Timmons looked really good, where's the rest? I expect the stride to be back on after Harrison get his groove going but we have been fortunate to have the record of 2-2, not 1-3 and pass-rushing almsot become the reason for 1-3.

+ Rashard Mendenhall. As I mentioned before, running game would be a nice luxury, not a necessity because we have one of better passing offense in NFL and Big Ben have showed he can dink and dunk the passes. However I loved what I saw from Mendenhall, even when he seem to be in a pre-season form a bit (running and then let the ball slipped) but overall I loved what I was seeing from him.

- Polamalu, what's up with the injury? Out of shape?

+ Big Ben, loved the fact that he had no touchdown, still contributed big to the reason why we have a W added to our wins column. Beside Matt Ryan, there isn't any QB that plays better than Big Ben honestly.

- Cornerbacks/PI. Now I'm somewhat concerned we may have been overrating our cornerbacks. 1st round of CB isn't a bad idea now that we have seen from first 4 games, maybe fluke but we need a better coverage.

+ Too much of popcorns? There isn't really anything to add but my boy whom is a hardcore Eagles fan, was concerned Steelers fans would give him hard time when he headed for Heinz Field and turns out Steelers fans remained classy and he was more than happy to chatted with some. Also Michael Vick really shouldn't be eating popcorns before the game and I'm grateful that he did! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: