Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Cam Newton who we thought he was?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Cam Newton who we thought he was? Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
Teams have figured him out faster than the wildcat. His throwing mechanics are really awkward and he looks disinterested in playing football out there and .

And if we watched him last week and started a thread, what would we have said?

There is nothing to "figure out." He doesnt play the position any differently. He's having a bad game and a lackluster/inconsistent season. It happens.

And Ramster, if you come in here and say sophmore slump I swear to god I will reach through the computer and choke slam you.

Sophmore slump doe..
Feeel the wrath of the slump!
Feel the wrath of 1k's of people
hating on your Qb! hoping he fails!
FEEL THE WRATH!!!

[img]http://pl.memgenerator.pl/mem-image/you-re-dead-to-me-pl-ffffff-1[/img]

And Cam had the "thousands of fans hoping he fails" thing going before he was even drafted. Laughing

CK on the sig
nixa37

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Didn't see this coming.

Rename this to Overreaction Week 5 thread, please.

LOL at overreaction. Have you watched him play? He looks like Tebow out there without the winning.

And last week he had a solid game.

Did the Falcons not get the memo about how to "figure him out?"

Obviously the Falcons are just a terrible team.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's slumping, but that's expected. He's not Tebow or anything.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Didn't see this coming.

LOL at overreaction. Have you watched him play? He looks like Tebow out there without the winning.

And last week he had a solid game.

Did the Falcons not get the memo about how to "figure him out?"

Obviously the Falcons are just a terrible team.

Clearly!

CK on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Cam Newton who we thought he was? Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
El ramster wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
Teams have figured him out faster than the wildcat. His throwing mechanics are really awkward and he looks disinterested in playing football out there and .

There is nothing to "figure out." He doesnt play the position any differently. He's having a bad game and a lackluster/inconsistent season. It happens.

And Ramster, if you come in here and say sophmore slump I swear to god I will reach through the computer and choke slam you.

Sophmore slump doe..
FEEL THE WRATH!!!

You're just insecure because your QB isn't Gabbert...

aaaaand you win! Laughing

CK on the sig
El ramster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Cam Newton who we thought he was? Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
El ramster wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:

Sophmore slump doe..
FEEL THE WRATH!!!

[img]http://pl.memgenerator.pl/mem-image/you-re-dead-to-me-pl-ffffff-1[/img]

And Cam had the "thousands of fans hoping he fails" thing going before he was even drafted. Laughing

RG3>>>>CAM doe Laughing

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it in the Carolina forum but the expectations people have for a 23 year old quarterback still trying to adjust to the NFL is a tad too high. Of course he's going to have poor performances. Last week, he tore up a Mike Nolan defense. This week, he had a bad game against arguably the best defense in the NFL (and for my money, they certainly rival SFs).

He looked pathetic out there. As a matter of fact, I've not seen someone quarterbacking Carolina look that bad since Clausen v. Pittsburgh. But it was 1 game. Off of a game where he looked excellent against one of the NFL's best defenses through the first 5 weeks. Which came off a game where he looked bad. Which came off a game where he looked excellent. Which came off a game where he looked average.

Point is, he's an inconsistent 23 year old quarterback who has shown a ton of promise. It's a frustrating thing but to be expected. It isn't like he's looked consistently awful like other QBs.

Also, while I still think Chud is a great offensive coordinator, I wish we'd work Newton under center more. I think the zone read option is effective but I see no reason why with Williams and Stewart we can't run power and then utilize the playaction off of it. With Olsen and Smith, it'd be deadly.
teamorange

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Didn't see this coming.

Coming into to today's game he was throwing for 250 yards a game with a 63.6% completion percentage and a 9.5 YPA this season. Last year Tebow averaged 125 yards a game with a 46.5% completion percentage with a 6.4 YPA. Yes, he's looked bad in this one game, but for the season he has been nowhere near the horror show throwing the ball that Tebow was last year.

I like how you conveniently forget to mention that he also has 5 ints and the bulk of his numbers comes when his team is out of the game. He was a garbage time QB last year and he really has improved much this year. He runs a gimmicky offense and I really don't see him being more than a slightly above average QB.
BBIB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Yeah, a second year QB who set the league on fire as a rookie is done because he looks bad for now.

A trend I've noticed is that if people are initially down on a player, predict that player to fail, and that player proves them wrong, those same people will be the quickest to try to write off that player if they start to struggle in order to validate their original prediction.

Ironic there are two great examples in that game.

Cam Newton the guy people thought was going to be JaMarcus Russell. Well he shattered all the expectations last year. But now that he's having a down year (in reality his defense has played just as bad if not worse than him this year) they jump on it to say "see I was right"

The same thing with Russell Wilson. Bench Russell Wilson after ONE GAME the one game where basically one could argue none of his 3 interceptions were bad throws. One a defender took the ball away from a receiver, another he got hit as he threw, and another a receiver fell down on a game winning drive. And this is driving to make his team 3-1.

But because people thought he wouldn't pan out, they feel validate after one bad performance

Heck it's the same thing for Tim Tebow. Because Tim Tebow doesn't win a Super Bowl in his 1st year as a starter that's used as "proof" he can't ever win one

We see the same for Mike Vick.

What do these QBs have in common? They don't fit the traditional mold.

So people feel validated when they don't succeed and quickly to push them aside.

Not saying they will fail or succeed, but those who predicted failure will ALWAYS be quick to feel validated.

And it's not just QBs you can use this example for pretty much anything in life

Last edited by BBIB on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
El ramster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
I said it in the Carolina forum but the expectations people have for a 23 year old quarterback still trying to adjust to the NFL is a tad too high. Of course he's going to have poor performances. Last week, he tore up a Mike Nolan defense. This week, he had a bad game against arguably the best defense in the NFL (and for my money, they certainly rival SFs).

He looked pathetic out there. As a matter of fact, I've not seen someone quarterbacking Carolina look that bad since Clausen v. Pittsburgh. But it was 1 game. Off of a game where he looked excellent against one of the NFL's best defenses through the first 5 weeks. Which came off a game where he looked bad. Which came off a game where he looked excellent. Which came off a game where he looked average.

Point is, he's an inconsistent 23 year old quarterback who has shown a ton of promise. It's a frustrating thing but to be expected. It isn't like he's looked consistently awful like other QBs.

Also, while I still think Chud is a great offensive coordinator, I wish we'd work Newton under center more. I think the zone read option is effective but I see no reason why with Williams and Stewart we can't run power and then utilize the playaction off of it. With Olsen and Smith, it'd be deadly.

You see why we defend Sam yes?? Do you see know why?

Like I stated before. The perception of young QB's have been destroyed. If you're not winning 10+ games you automatically suck.
It gets extremely frustrating as a fan base. But whatcha gonna do about it?

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophmore slump, nothing to see here.
BBIB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

You see why we defend Sam yes?? Do you see know why?

Like I stated before. The perception of young QB's have been destroyed. If you're not winning 10+ games you automatically suck.
It gets extremely frustrating as a fan base. But whatcha gonna do about it?

NO I see it now. I understand where Rams fans are coming from now.

And the media doesn't help. They foster this overreaction with the 24/7 cycle and all the overreaction on sports radio and TV shows that are almost designed for overreaction like First Take and SportsNation. There is no gray area on those shows. You're either great or terrible.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Didn't see this coming.

Coming into to today's game he was throwing for 250 yards a game with a 63.6% completion percentage and a 9.5 YPA this season. Last year Tebow averaged 125 yards a game with a 46.5% completion percentage with a 6.4 YPA. Yes, he's looked bad in this one game, but for the season he has been nowhere near the horror show throwing the ball that Tebow was last year.

I like how you conveniently forget to mention that he also has 5 ints and the bulk of his numbers comes when his team is out of the game. He was a garbage time QB last year and he really has improved much this year. He runs a gimmicky offense and I really don't see him being more than a slightly above average QB.

Funny you're still using this argument yet the only garbage time game Cam played was vs. NYG, which oddly enough he had 2 garbage time INTs in. But I guess that doesn't count, does it?
nixa37

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Didn't see this coming.

It's not like 5 INTs in 5 games makes him bad. And what in the world are you talking about the bulk of his numbers this season have come with his team out of the game? His two best games by the numbers were in a win over NO and what would have been a win over ATL if his defense could have made a play.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another case of an athletic QB that isn't a good passer because he thinks he can rely on his legs. Another Michael Vick.

I'm just bitter because I have him on 3 fantasy teams.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: