Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 6: VIKINGS (4-1) at Redskins (2-3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
So we agree, Musgrave had another bad day. Still remain unconvinced this is a good design for an offense.

The design of the offense is perfectly fine. Where Musgrave is struggling is play calling and calling sound situational football
PeteyPercyPonde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After sleeping on this one and letting reality set in instead of letting emotion get in the way....

1) Gotta put one of those first drives in the end zone. This game would have changed so much being up AT LEAST 13-0 over that 9-0 score. A lot of I blame play calling. Play calling and personal decisions in the red zone baffled me.

2) Missing Simpson hurt them this game. Really could have used that playmaker in the red zone, it's too easy to just double cover Kyle and Percy.

3) I think we all need to remember this was only Ponder's 16th start in a hostile environment on the road. He had a few blips which shouldn't be all that surprising. The pick-6 was a terrible throw though.

4) I see everyone laying 31 points on the defense. It should only be 24. Giving the Skins the ball at the 6 yard line is giving them free points, especially after a long drive. I will hang 24 on the defense.

5) What was the 12ish yard cushion all day long? It seemed as they the corners and safeties were playing so far off the receivers that if RGIII needed to find a receiver there was always one open.

6) This game was against the first running QB we have seen. With our linebackers we knew it would be tough to stop, and it was obvious to me they did not have a good gameplan to stop Griffin. Did very well at holding Morris on the ground

7) As much as I hate (and I have seen it 20+ times now) if the blitz on the Griffin run would have succeeded they get the ball back down 3 with 3 minutes to play. It was high risk-high reward play that Griffin made a good decision on. I would have been pissed if they would have sat back and allowed a 12 yard completion in the soft zone to Davis or Moss.

Cool They are 4-2 through 6 games. Yesterday could have been a lot worse. 2 plays in the 1st quarter and it's 17-0 after 1 and a whole new ballgame. The team never quit. They get Arizona next week with a banged up Kolb or Skelton and a Cardinal team with no run game. Let's hope they take this as a bump in the road, learn a few things and focus on next week.

A bit of Monday afternoon optimism.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the stats quoted on ESPN, blitzes actually lead to more big plays for the offense than the defense. This team is built on a great dline, they need to trust it.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
According to the stats quoted on ESPN, blitzes actually lead to more big plays for the offense than the defense. This team is built on a great dline, they need to trust it.

Yeah, I'd rather have more guys in coverage.
ripsean21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viking fans i wanted to stop bye and say good luck throughout the rest of the year! ponder is gonna be a good leader and is gonna have yall looking speacial for many years! he is sneaky athletic and honestly id have to say next year i think already are gonna be a scary good team! honestly yalls fans have been a class act throughout this whole week on the skins forum and throughout the game yesterday! cant wait to se AP next year when he is completely healthy omg he is gonna be a force not that he alrady isnt good luck the rest of the way!

Ripsean21-Adopt a Redskin 2012; Pierre Garcon: Great first game! Im not adopting any more im bad Luck!
Zephiel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else notice this -- it was kind-of touched upon by a pundit or beat writer (may have been Pelissero) -- all of Washington's scoring plays went to one offensive side of the field. Winfield sniffed out most of the option plays that went his way, probably because he was smart enough to notice them. So the Redskins simply took advantage of the immaturity of Cook or Robinson (whoever happened to line up on the left). Smart gameplan by the Shanahans.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to move our CBs around occasionally...?
hypno toad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an extremely tough loss. As Jared Allen said, people are back to calling us the bum Vikings. 4-2 is still great and i'm telling myself not to get worked up as this is far beyond our expectations, but getting that win and being 5-1 would have been so fantastic.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
So we agree, Musgrave had another bad day. Still remain unconvinced this is a good design for an offense.

And the defense had another bad outing. They had a few good ones against mediocre offenses but when a premier offense rolls into town, they can't contain it.

Still unconvinced that the defense doesn't need more of an overhaul with Allen and Williams on the chopping blocks and building from the safety (Smith) and linebacker position (???).

The one thing I have yet to see is outside of Smith, another leader step up and direct the defense.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypno toad wrote:
This was an extremely tough loss. As Jared Allen said, people are back to calling us the bum Vikings. 4-2 is still great and i'm telling myself not to get worked up as this is far beyond our expectations, but getting that win and being 5-1 would have been so fantastic.

Overreactions go both ways. When we were 4-1 people were talking about play-offs, finishing 2nd in the division, etc. Now we lose an away game, and now it's the other way 'round again.

5-1 would have been over the top. We aren't a top 10 team, not by a long shot. We're a team that's in the middle of a rebuild, I think most of the games we played reflect that.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

And the defense had another bad outing. They had a few good ones against mediocre offenses but when a premier offense rolls into town, they can't contain it.

Still unconvinced that the defense doesn't need more of an overhaul with Allen and Williams on the chopping blocks and building from the safety (Smith) and linebacker position (???).

The one thing I have yet to see is outside of Smith, another leader step up and direct the defense.

The defence struggled because a running QB like RGIII spreads your defence out laterally and Washington has a pretty good inside running game to complement his skillset. The Vikings are neither fast enough on the perimeter nor stout enough up the middle to deal with it.

Prior to the game I thought that the Vikings would send Josh Robinson on the corner blitz a lot more, but I guess Williams is not comfortable with Robinson as a blitzer at this stage of his career. Plus, playing nickel generally hurts you against the run.

It's hard to tell how good the Vikings defence really is. Opposing teams now have six games worth of tape to figure out how to attack it. They're not an elite defence but they may be borderline Top 10 or thereabouts. I agree that when all is said and done DT and MLB are going to be major needs going into the offseason, and that should trump any needs they may have on offence.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ No other team will attack the Vikes defense like the Redskins did. No team in the league has an RGIII under center who can effectively run an option offense and confuse the defense. Well I guess the Panthers do as well, but they arent on the Vikes schedule.

This defense is fine against a traditional offense. I am not worried in the least. Granted, MN needs to upgrade a few position but this to me seems like a middle of the pack defense at worst.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have yet to face a really good, experienced qb outside Detroit. Let's wait to see how they play against more teams to say they have no issues against traditional offenses.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
They have yet to face a really good, experienced qb outside Detroit. Let's wait to see how they play against more teams to say they have no issues against traditional offenses.

Who said the defense has no issues against a traditional defense. There are issues, no defense is perfect. Against traditional offenses, the defense has performed at a strong level this year. You can only play who is on your schedule so I am not going to assume the worst when they have shown to be quite good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60
Page 60 of 60

Jump to: