Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT: SNF Chargers @ Ex-Chargers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers RE Corey Liuget suffered a knee injury in Sunday's loss to the Saints.
It's unclear when Liuget went down, but he was having a monster night before departing, notching a sack while batting down two passes at the line of scrimmage. His status should be updated Monday.

I didn't hear anything about this during, or after, the game. Hope it's not anything that will keep him out long.

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers LT Jared Gaither suffered a groin injury in San Diego's Week 5 loss to the Saints.
Gaither never came out of the game, but he should have. Almost completely incapable of moving, he let Martez Wilson go right around him on what proved to be a game-ending strip sack of Philip Rivers with 0:14 remaining. Gaither played well before getting nicked, but this is a reminder that he's still far from top football shape after missing over two months of practice with a back injury. He should be considered day-to-day, and questionable for Week 6.

At least it wasn't his back.

Liuget's sack was beautiful. Steam rolled De La Puente on his way to Brees.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liuget has been a bright spot on the team this year, hopefully he'll be able to go against the Donkeys.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
Liuget has been a bright spot on the team this year, hopefully he'll be able to go against the Donkeys.

Liuget has me going back to my original consideration of whether or not Vaughn should be looked at for a move to NT.

At this point Garay isn't much more than a healthy scratch on the roster (at least he was yesterday), as Franklin looks to have taken his spot outright, and the team is still giving reps to Baby Zilla (who I think may have maxed out his ceiling at this point; he can draw doubles but when he oes he gets pushed back).

Really, I think it's a matter of Pagano deciding what kind of 3-4 front he wants to run, 1-gap or 2-gap. We have guys in Liuget, Martin, and Reyes (like I said last season with Liuget, give him a full season to get a pro weight program under his belt and build to "pro strength" and he'll go off... watch for Reyes in that regard next year) who can all play either scheme at the 5-Tech. Franklin is better suited to 2-gap, but can be a rotational guy (which at this point in his career is probably his max regardless) in a 1-gap as well. Thing is, Martin can likely play a 1-gap NT in the mold of a larger Jay Ratliff, but he's not going to win the leverage battles against double and triple teams at the POA from the 0-Tech which a 2-gap would ask him to do.

I bring this up because, like with our guard situation, I think we'll only likely see one of Martin and Thomas back next season (and I'm worried it will be whoever signs the most team-friendly contract versus who is most deserving). Either way we should have the flexibility and depth (barring major injuries) to draft and develop a true NTotF. My preference, given the state of our secondary, is to play more 1-gap, as it allows you to not need as much of an upper-tier CB to lockdown another team's #1, as you're more dependent on your front seven getting pressure before the QB can get through all his reads or all-but-the-simplest routes develop. It's what Wade's been able to accomplish so well in Houston - and they don't even have all that stellar of an NT.

Granted, Jonathan Joseph is better than any corner we've got on the roster. And Kareem Jackson has turned a corner Cason has never been able to (but Wright or Gilchrist might yet be able to). We're almost there.

If there was/is a worthwhile veteran (i.e. markedly better than Chris Carr) on a squad that's essentially ready to pack it in and acept they've got little chance at the playoffs this year (say Chris Gamble on the Panthers) who was made available at the trade deadline, I wouldn't balk at making our 2nd or 3rd round pick from next year's draft available (it fills a need, similar to what the Chris Chambers acquisition did when back when VJax still hadn't found his hands and we were trotting out Eric Parker as a starting WR). AJ won't pull a Beathard and make our 1st available, but I think it's becoming apparent that what we've got (with our top 2 options healthy but still not getting it done) isn't enough.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
charger-man wrote:

Liuget has me going back to my original consideration of whether or not Vaughn should be looked at for a move to NT.

At this point Garay isn't much more than a healthy scratch on the roster (at least he was yesterday), as Franklin looks to have taken his spot outright, and the team is still giving reps to Baby Zilla (who I think may have maxed out his ceiling at this point; he can draw doubles but when he oes he gets pushed back).

Really, I think it's a matter of Pagano deciding what kind of 3-4 front he wants to run, 1-gap or 2-gap. We have guys in Liuget, Martin, and Reyes (like I said last season with Liuget, give him a full season to get a pro weight program under his belt and build to "pro strength" and he'll go off... watch for Reyes in that regard next year) who can all play either scheme at the 5-Tech. Franklin is better suited to 2-gap, but can be a rotational guy (which at this point in his career is probably his max regardless) in a 1-gap as well. Thing is, Martin can likely play a 1-gap NT in the mold of a larger Jay Ratliff, but he's not going to win the leverage battles against double and triple teams at the POA from the 0-Tech which a 2-gap would ask him to do.

I bring this up because, like with our guard situation, I think we'll only likely see one of Martin and Thomas back next season (and I'm worried it will be whoever signs the most team-friendly contract versus who is most deserving). Either way we should have the flexibility and depth (barring major injuries) to draft and develop a true NTotF. My preference, given the state of our secondary, is to play more 1-gap, as it allows you to not need as much of an upper-tier CB to lockdown another team's #1, as you're more dependent on your front seven getting pressure before the QB can get through all his reads or all-but-the-simplest routes develop. It's what Wade's been able to accomplish so well in Houston - and they don't even have all that stellar of an NT.

Granted, Jonathan Joseph is better than any corner we've got on the roster. And Kareem Jackson has turned a corner Cason has never been able to (but Wright or Gilchrist might yet be able to). We're almost there.

If there was/is a worthwhile veteran (i.e. markedly better than Chris Carr) on a squad that's essentially ready to pack it in and acept they've got little chance at the playoffs this year (say Chris Gamble on the Panthers) who was made available at the trade deadline, I wouldn't balk at making our 2nd or 3rd round pick from next year's draft available (it fills a need, similar to what the Chris Chambers acquisition did when back when VJax still hadn't found his hands and we were trotting out Eric Parker as a starting WR). AJ won't pull a Beathard and make our 1st available, but I think it's becoming apparent that what we've got (with our top 2 options healthy but still not getting it done) isn't enough.

Eh, i'm not sure about that. The more i watch this team, the more it looks like we really have the personal to run the 1 gap moreso than the 2 gap. We have Franklin who's more of that 2 gap NT, but we've had that before in Jamal Williams under Wade and have still run a 1 gap system with our DE's (IIRC), at least we did with Castillo.

Liuget and Reyes, seem to be more penetrating type DE's, which would favor the 1 gap, and Cam Thomas, is much more suited for the 1 gap NT spot, even though he's a big body, he's actually very quick off the ball, and is more of a penetrating type than anything, which is why hes gotten so many sacks in his first few years.

I really think we have to wait for Wright to get healthy to judge this CB group. Honestly, when he's healthy, in the off system that we've been running, Wright has to be the better option. If nothing else he's got MUCH better makeup speed.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like the idea of Martin on the inside. He big, quick, and strong. He can penetrate, and/or take up blockers to allow the OLB's to run free. Not saying he couldn't do it at NT, he's just doing exactly what he needs to do at DE. That's something the team has been lacking for a long time.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: