Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My QB Tiers
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fired-Up

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

Disclaimer: This is current rankings. 2004 for example need not apply. I generally looking at the last 4 or 5 years or so.

Tier 1: The best of the best. The super elite. These QB's have the ring(s), Super Bowl MVP's, League MVP's, peer respect, track record, immunity to down seasons, ball protection, intelligence, velocity, etc. Basically everything you want in a QB. Virtually flawless. Can carry a team on their back. (Brady, Rodgers)

Tier 2: Elite QB's, but some areas are question marks. Possible INT concerns, down season concerns, possible injury concers. Not a whole lot separating them from tier 1, but at the same time not as consistent or dominant. Possibly a few years removed from their prime. Does not require a league MVP. Can carry a team on their back. (P. Manning, Brees)

Tier 3: Borderline elite QB's. Usually have a glaring weakness on their resume though. Can have consistency issues, velocity or accuracy issues, playoff failures, underwhelming production. The good however heavily outweighs the bad. (Rivers, Romo, Eli, Ben, Ryan, Stafford)

Tier 4: Franchise QB's. Most fans would be happy to have these QB's. They can generally have the same weaknesses as tier 3, but their's are more pronouced. Still the good outweighs the bad. (Flacco, Schaub, Newton, Dalton, Smith, Cutler)

Tier 5: Basically just average QB's. If this guy is on your team you desperatly need to upgrade at the QB position or wait for development. Super Bowls are pretty much a no go. (Sanchez, RGIII, Palmer, Vick)

Tier 6: Definitely below average QB's. Something has to get done. If they aren't a rookie you must question their job security. Filled with young QB's because let's be real if you are vet and you suck this bad you are gone. (Freeman, Bradford, Luck, Cassel, Ponder, Fitzpatrick)

Tier 7: Why is this guy starting in the NFL? Or why in the world did we draft him? Or maybe just completely unproven with terrible measureables. (Wilson, Locker, Skelton)

Tier 8: Just a complete and total disaster. (Weeden, Tannehill, Gabbert.)
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can save some time and combine tier 1 and tier 2. P. Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are the best of the best. Also, not sure how Rodgers is above P. Manning?

How is RGIII rated above Luck after 1 game? This post has too many flaws.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, how can you really put rookies on this list and if you were to put rookies on the list, in particular RG3 and Luck theyre at the very least Franchise QBs.

Also, LOL at Alex Smith being a Franchise QB. Hes relatively average.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Fired-Up

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
I think you can save some time and combine tier 1 and tier 2. P. Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are the best of the best. Also, not sure how Rodgers is above P. Manning?

Tier 1 players do not have down years or injury concerns. Petyon and Brees had down years in 2010. Brady and Rodgers have neither of these issues. That's why I separate the elite QB's into two categories. This is not a career ranking as I specifally stated.
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Firstly, how can you really put rookies on this list and if you were to put rookies on the list, in particular RG3 and Luck theyre at the very least Franchise QBs.

This.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:

Are we still living in the past?

Alex Smith broke a 49er record last sunday for most pass attempts without an interception. Considering our past QB's, I'd say that makes him a little better than average.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
Fired-Up

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:

Rookies generally make up a good bit of bad QB's. Honestly, the bad ones washout. Like Carr, Clausen, etc. Maybe Luck busts, who knows. He definitely isn't a franchise QB at the moment and needs to perform like one before I put him there. I wouldn't have put Manning as a franchise QB after his high INT rookie year.
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

Are we still living in the past?

Alex Smith broke a 49er record last sunday for most pass attempts without an interception. Considering our past QB's, I'd say that makes him a little better than average.

He is average lets not kid ourselves. Living in the past would be me saying that Alex Smith is terrible.

reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

Rookies generally make up a good bit of bad QB's. Honestly, the bad ones washout. Like Carr, Clausen, etc. Maybe Luck busts, who knows. He definitely isn't a franchise QB at the moment and needs to perform like one before I put him there. I wouldn't have put Manning as a franchise QB after his high INT rookie year.

see the bolded. If only luck had played one year as opposed to one game in which he didnt play bad, your point would make more sense.

Fired-Up

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

see the bolded. If only luck had played one year as opposed to one game in which he didnt play bad, your point would make more sense.

We have a different philosophy. To me Luck is a franchise QB when he performs like one for a whole year. To you Luck is a Franchise QB until he doesn't perform like one.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tier 7: Why is this guy starting in the NFL? Or why in the world did we draft him? Or maybe just completely unproven with terrible measureables. (Wilson, Locker, Skelton)

Seriously? Putting Locker in this group? He played well Sunday considering the lack of a running game and us only opening up the playbook in the 2nd half. Nate Washington also dropped a couple passes.
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

We have a different philosophy. To me Luck is a franchise QB when he performs like one for a whole year. To you Luck is a Franchise QB until he doesn't perform like one.

No i said if anything you shouldnt put them in any tier because theyre rookies and youre going off one game. However i said, if you were to put them in a category, they would be franchise QBs because thats what they were drafted to be.

JDKing14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd move Freeman up to tier 4 or 5. Other than that it really isn't bad.
Heavinsent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:

Why would Luck be rated higher than RGIII?

Props to Jamison for the sig.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

Tier 1 players do not have down years or injury concerns. Petyon and Brees had down years in 2010. Brady and Rodgers have neither of these issues. That's why I separate the elite QB's into two categories. This is not a career ranking as I specifally stated.

2010 Brees - 68.1%//4,620 yrds//33 TDs//22 Ints//90.9 RTG ... Doesnt seem like a "down" year to me. (Source)

2010 Manning - 66.3%//4,700 yrds//33 TDs//17 Ints//91.9 RTG ... Again, doesnt seem like a "down" year to me (Source)

Last edited by TommyC376 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: