Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Illegal Screens Reviewed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: The Illegal Screens Reviewed Reply with quote

AP has pics.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/10/8/3472754/ravens-vs-chiefs-penalty-dexter-mccluster

The one on Dex (Bowe TD) sure does look like a really tough call to stomach. Maybe it's called because of the blatant one from earlier? Not sure but I think Dex ran it the way a rub route is supposed to be run.

What say you?
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Illegal Screens Reviewed Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
AP has pics.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/10/8/3472754/ravens-vs-chiefs-penalty-dexter-mccluster

The one on Dex (Bowe TD) sure does look like a really tough call to stomach. Maybe it's called because of the blatant one from earlier? Not sure but I think Dex ran it the way a rub route is supposed to be run.

What say you?

My impression was that McCluster pretty much ran into the defender. I mentioned this in the gameday thread, but I would imagine there are less evasive ways of trying to force a defender to redirect instead of falling into the defender during the play. I don't know why this wasn't highlighted especially after getting burned earlier in the game with the same type of play that was called back.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic I agree, and the rub play could be called a lot more than it is. This just happened to go against us. It's like holding, if you go back and watch the game, I would bet well over 50% of the time Tamba is held in one form or another. Holding and pass interference are calls that are made on a discretionary basis, and most of the time it is a good thing.

Props to Loto...the guy does great work
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a hose job...to set a pick, you have to stop and get in someones way or go out of your way to get in front of him. McCluster did neither, he simply was running his route and Smith launched into him, because he was in his way. That can happen...they defense has to be prepared to switch when that occurs. Legal play by the Chiefs, McCluster was going to run in between the two defenders if Smith didn't launch himself.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Wow what a hose job...to set a pick, you have to stop and get in someones way or go out of your way to get in front of him. McCluster did neither, he simply was running his route and Smith launched into him, because he was in his way. That can happen...they defense has to be prepared to switch when that occurs. Legal play by the Chiefs, McCluster was going to run in between the two defenders if Smith didn't launch himself.

I saw it the other way around - McCluster launching into the defender. I remember thinking that it appeared McCluster almost seemed to trip and fall into the defender. To say that the defender impeded McCluster's route doesn't seem to be fair as McCluster's route seemed to stop right where the cornerback was standing. LOL

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But now you've seen the pics of Smith launching at McCluster who's running not launching.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it is pretty clear, the one on Bowe was a good call, the one on McCluster was a terrible call. The only reason it got called a pick play was because of the earlier penalty. That's the only rationale I can come up with, personally. McCluster was not blocking the defender, he didn't extend his arms or lead with his shoulder or anything like that, and Jimmy Smith certainly didn't have established position where McCluster was running.

They key from a rule standpoint, however, is this:

Quote:
Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: