Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bounce Back: Buffalo Bills at Arizona Cardinals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona defensive rankings.. (note: not all team stats for sunday have been recorded yet)

10th in overall yards per game. (329.3)
9th in pass yards allowed per game. (216)
19th in rush yards allowed per game. (113.3)
4th in points per game. (16.2)
8th in 3rd down conversion allowed. (33%)
6th in 4th down conversion allowed. (33%) (only 3 attempts)
3rd in total sacks. (19)
2nd in touchdowns allowed. (8..)
8th in turnover differential. (+4)
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
This defense statistically has regressed in a strikingly scary fashion the last 3 weeks from the frst 3 weeks. In went in my eyes from a possible top 3 unit to somewhere around the top 10. The defense obviously isn't the root cause of our problems but the days of me putting the game in our defenses hands with confidence are running short.

But has it really? They are giving up more big plays, but have they really regressed statistically overall? I don't have the numbers in front of me but I don't think they have.

Run defense is allowing nearly 1.5 more yards per carry in the last 3 weeks than it was the first 3 weeks. Plays over 20+ yards allowed have just nearly doubled. QB sacks have fallen by nearly 50%. 12 in the 1st 3 weeks, 7 in the last 3 weeks and keep in mind, both St. Louis and Buffalo played us without a starting OT. Tackling has been far worse, you noticed that too.

I am going to retract part of my statement though. Watching yesterday's game back and seeing the stats, it's obvious to me that the entire defense has not regressed from the 1st 3 weeks to the last 3 weeks....but the defensive line sure as heck has. Dockett's injury is playing a part I'm sure but Big Dan's getting pushed around quite a bit here and Calais has been non-existant for weeks in both the pass and run game. Another guy who's fallen off the last 3 weeks, Paris Lenon.

Last edited by stchamp98 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cards checked into the run play on which Kolb got hurt, but running back William Powell didn’t get the change. That led to the broken play and Kolb getting hurt. “It was a miscommunication,” Whisenhunt said.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/10/15/kolbs-ribs-sore-mri-coming/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
The Cards checked into the run play on which Kolb got hurt, but running back William Powell didn’t get the change. That led to the broken play and Kolb getting hurt. “It was a miscommunication,” Whisenhunt said.

I don't think it was a fluke this team started off 4-0 but at the same time, injuries happen to any team and you have to rise up to the occasion with the next man up.

This team is having troubles doing so and I don't know if they can recover this season. It's going to be tough and I don't know if this team has that kind of resolve yet.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRobot wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I don't think it was a fluke this team started off 4-0 but at the same time, injuries happen to any team and you have to rise up to the occasion with the next man up.

This team is having troubles doing so and I don't know if they can recover this season. It's going to be tough and I don't know if this team has that kind of resolve yet.

Next 5 weeks will tell us everything we need to know. It all starts this week in Minnesota, where we haven't won a game in years. Time to step up and see what we're made of.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
iRobot wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Next 5 weeks will tell us everything we need to know. It all starts this week in Minnesota, where we haven't won a game in years. Time to step up and see what we're made of.

Concur.

Next two weeks even are statement games on how we bounce back from these 2 losses. Vikings & 49ers pass rush will either dismantle this team or we'll respond well. Minn is never good to us lately and MNF seems to be our demise.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRobot wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I agree with the notion that you "have to deal with" injuries. It just hurts when you lose four starters on offense, especially when that offense was borderline below average to start with.

I want to see Todd Heap back. I am sure we really miss him now. He seems like a safety blanket for Kolb in a way that neither King or Housler are. He is the only receiver on this team that Kolb seems to be willing to throw to in tight coverage.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
iRobot wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I agree with the notion that you "have to deal with" injuries. It just hurts when you lose four starters on offense, especially when that offense was borderline below average to start with.

I want to see Todd Heap back. I am sure we really miss him now. He seems like a safety blanket for Kolb in a way that neither King or Housler are. He is the only receiver on this team that Kolb seems to be willing to throw to in tight coverage.

Ken Whisenhunt's presser today:

Media Member: "How badly does the team miss Todd Heap's blocking?"
Whiz: "We miss Todd overall"

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Todd means no safety blanket for Kevin, no safety blanket for Kevin means he holds onto the ball for too long, holding onto the ball for too long means he gets hit and sacked an awful lot.

JohnnyV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
iRobot wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Ken Whisenhunt's presser today:

Media Member: "How badly does the team miss Todd Heap's blocking?"
Whiz: "We miss Todd overall"

Wow. Pretty telling quote. Housler is a tremendous receiving threat but is lightyears behind in blocking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
No Todd means no safety blanket for Kevin, no safety blanket for Kevin means he holds onto the ball for too long, holding onto the ball for too long means he gets hit and sacked an awful lot.

Can't ignore the blocking either. Announcers pointed out 3-4 bad mistakes by Housler yesterday that left a lot of yards on the field and cost us a sack. Jeff King hasn't done anything to help us either.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two interceptions;

Same offensive play against similar coverage. The Kolb INT is against either a Cover 2 or Cover 4, I think the latter is more likely. His issue is that he is late with the ball, he has Jeff King open about a half second before he actually makes the throw, he takes another step then throws the ball and by that time Byrd has broken and makes the INT. Kolb made a solid read and would have found the open receiver if he made the throw earlier.

The Skelton INT was against 2 Man. Same route combos. This is just a throw that should not have been made. I can understand the "not accounting for the backside safety" on that throw especially if you read two deep coverage, because there is no way a two deep safety playing his responsibility makes that play there. However given that we had already seen Byrd make that play on the same route combo our of a two deep safety (Or four deep) look from the defense earlier in the game should ring alarm bells. We had Floyd open on a route that was short of the first down markers, but was a much safer throw and I would put money on Floyd getting the extra 4-5 yards needed for a first down.

The thing to really note about this is how bad the throw really was, and how good a play to hand onto the ball this was by Byrd. This ball was thrown low and behind the safety, even if Byrd was not there I am not sure this pass is completed simply because of how inaccurate this pass was.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39
Page 39 of 39

Jump to: