Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock off-season - Draft- FA etc
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Mock off-season - Draft- FA etc Reply with quote

We are 1-4 as of right now. The rest of the year goes like this -

Tampa - Loss
BYE
Oakland - Win
Chargers - Loss
Steelers - Loss
Bengals - Win
Broncos - Loss
Panthers - Loss
Browns - Win
Raiders - Loss
Colts - Win
Broncos - Loss

That leaves us with a 5-11 record, which should be good for roughly the 5th pick (best case scenario) to the 8th overall pick.

1st pick - Cleveland Browns - Geno Smith - QB - WVU
2nd pick - Jacksonville Jaguars - Matt Barkley - QB - USC
3rd pick - Tennessee Titans - Jarvis Jones - DE/OLB - GEORGIA
4th pick - Oakland Raiders - Demarcus Milliner - CB - ALABAMA
5th pick - Kansas City Chiefs - Tyler Wilson - QB - ARKANSAS

Free Agent Signings -

1- Anthony Spencer - OLB = This provides us with some depth at the OLB position outside of Houston and Hali. Although H+H are beasts, we all saw what happened vs Atlanta opening week.

2- Re sign - Dwayne Bowe + Franchise Tag Brandon Albert = With most likely a new regime in place they will quickly figure out we need Bowe locked up long term to help the progression of Wilson + Albert to protect his blindside.

Let Walk - Glenn Dorsey = We need to save some money somewhere from drafting so high and re signing Bowe + Albert so Dorsey is unfortunately the odd man out.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, it's hard for me to imagine the Browns taking Smith at one overall. Especially because it seems Weeden is getting better, and after having just spent a 1st round pick on him, I think they would be clambering to trade down, and I think this may in fact be our best shot at Smith. Which is honestly how I would like to set up my mock.

Overall I could see this playing out very similar though I'll be honest it wouldn't shock me at all to see McKenzie in Oakland snag a QBOTF. This is why I think we need to get ahead of them.

I also think for whatever reason that we could rip it up and have a better record, our D is really starting to click. That being said, it wouldn't shock me if you overshot our win total either. Guess I'm just kind of torn as to what kind of team we are right now.

Also don't forget we'll gain some cap room when we re-work TJax. And picking early is not nearly the financial burden it has been in the past thanks to the new CBA/Rookie wage scale. When you're talking whole contracts for half of what was previously garaunteed money, it makes life a lot easier for the first contract anyway.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Mike, it's hard for me to imagine the Browns taking Smith at one overall. Especially because it seems Weeden is getting better, and after having just spent a 1st round pick on him, I think they would be clambering to trade down, and I think this may in fact be our best shot at Smith. Which is honestly how I would like to set up my mock.

Overall I could see this playing out very similar though I'll be honest it wouldn't shock me at all to see McKenzie in Oakland snag a QBOTF. This is why I think we need to get ahead of them.

I also think for whatever reason that we could rip it up and have a better record, our D is really starting to click. That being said, it wouldn't shock me if you overshot our win total either. Guess I'm just kind of torn as to what kind of team we are right now.

While I agree Weeden is doing a lot better and the Browns are a bit better than their record indicates I think that if they ultimately receive the first overall pick (with new ownership in place too remember) he will want a new GM - Coach etc, and they will then in turn take a new qb / face of the franchise, and who better than Geno Smith. Obviously we are only 5 games in and this is insanely premature, but this is the way I see things falling as of right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey, where is the rest of the draft??!! No coaching staff changes??!!

Smile

Atleast try and be realistic and have the only coaching change being Eric Mangini added as defensive coordinator! That would definitely make it a Pioli-approved mock offseason right out of his gameplan I am sure!

Laughing

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Mikey, where is the rest of the draft??!! No coaching staff changes??!!

Smile

Atleast try and be realistic and have the only coaching change being Eric Mangini added as defensive coordinator! That would definitely make it a Pioli-approved mock offseason right out of his gameplan I am sure!

Laughing

It is just such a toss up at this point to talk about coaches. I guess it is with the draft too but I don't know a whole lot of info about potential coaches outside of Cowher. And does he take control of his defense? Offense? I have no idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team needs to trade up for barkley or Smith as if its life depended of it. That means giving up a bunch of first round picks and more. And hopefully this team can draft another qb in the same draft just in case. In french we say for drastic problems, drastic solutions.
Buckweath

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team needs to trade up for barkley or Smith as if its life depended of it. That means giving up a bunch of first round picks and more. And hopefully this team can draft another qb in the same draft just in case. In french we say for drastic problems, drastic solutions.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:

Also don't forget we'll gain some cap room when we re-work TJax. And picking early is not nearly the financial burden it has been in the past thanks to the new CBA/Rookie wage scale. When you're talking whole contracts for half of what was previously garaunteed money, it makes life a lot easier for the first contract anyway.

I agree, if they didn't think Weeden could be the guy, they got no business drafting him in the 1st round, if they were gonna turn around and draft another QB the following year, regardless of his play. After a poor start, he's gotten alot better....so if you draft a 1st round QB and he's meeting expectations for his rookie year, how can you turn around and draft another one? I realize the Browns probly never should have drafted him, stuck with McCoy and then got a higher rated one next year, but they didn't. Has there EVER been a team draft a 1st round QB two years in a row?

You know what I can see? The Raiders, Bills, and Cardinals all picking ahead of us and taking Geno, Barkley, and Wilson. We got smoked by the Bills last year and ended up with a better record...the Cards play in a much tougher conference, we'll see how they hold up, but their schedule combined with the POSSIBILITY that we become a good team with Quinn and actually stay with him, could spell danger for our QB drafting chances. We might be looking at having to trade up ahead of one of those teams...hopefully we'll have a GM who won't hesitate to do that.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

I agree, if they didn't think Weeden could be the guy, they got no business drafting him in the 1st round, if they were gonna turn around and draft another QB the following year, regardless of his play. After a poor start, he's gotten alot better....so if you draft a 1st round QB and he's meeting expectations for his rookie year, how can you turn around and draft another one? I realize the Browns probly never should have drafted him, stuck with McCoy and then got a higher rated one next year, but they didn't. Has there EVER been a team draft a 1st round QB two years in a row?

It would be rare, but those who selected Weeden would most likely not be there next year fi they are in the top 5 or so. They have new ownership, Holmgren has already pretty much stepped away from what I've heard. I could see a new regime coming in and looking to dump Weeden (trade) and draft a guy they want, assuming they didn't want Weeden. I'd say there's a decent chance it could happen.

^ryknowssd on the sig
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense if they can get a decent deal for Weeden.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
JCamGOPACKGO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although a Packers fan first and foremost, I've always had a soft spot for KC and consider them to be my "AFC team".. I REALLY hope you guys figure out a way to grab Geno Smith. Geno + Charles + Bowe... Ehr may gerd that'd be fun to watch!

Shout out to justo on the avatar!
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Holmgren gets splashed back into the pool I would love him as our new GM. There are a lot of reasons.

The guy knows how to win, and build strong teams. I think he is a GM coaches might actually want to coach for (I'm thinking guys he has experience with). We would be by far the most talented team he's ever walked in to.

He loves QBs! This might be the most important part.

I can see the Cleveland thing happening, I just hope for our sake it won't. And while I could see the Cardinals slipping, honestly I could also see them already having more wins than we may get.

I'm excited to see what Quinn can bring to the table, but I'm being honest with myself in that there is a reason he is on his third team, and has struggled for playing time.

I think both Cleveland and KC will squeak out a couple of wins for sure. As will Oakland. I think we could see some coin flips deciding the QB future of at least 2 teams this year.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some food for thought...

If the season ended today, there would be a 5 way tie at 1-4 for the second overall pick between

0-5 - Cleveland

1-4 KC
1-4 NO
1-4 Titans
1-4 Carolina
1-4 JAX

And another 3 teams at 1-3

1-3 Detroit
1-3 Tampa
1-3 Oakland

Now of those teams I think it's fairly easy to say NO, Carolina, Titans and Detroit won't take a QB. While the argument can be made for or against Tampa, Jax and Cleveland. Even Oakland I could see passing up or moving back to add more picks because frankly like the Browns they have SO much need (which I think is what the Browns would look at first).

So who does that leave as probable QB takers in the dumps with us? For the sake of argument I think it would be between us and Oakland for teams MOST needing a QB. Jacksonville at least has a developmental albeit not a very good one so I'd toss them in. Like us, they may win some games in spite of their QB play.

The Wildcard for now, and for the forseable future is going to be Cleveland. Until they aren't in clear control of the 1st overall pick Mocks and hopes and dreams all go through them.
bpinsky33

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland doesn't have a first round pick.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
If Holmgren gets splashed back into the pool I would love him as our new GM. There are a lot of reasons.

The guy knows how to win, and build strong teams. I think he is a GM coaches might actually want to coach for (I'm thinking guys he has experience with). We would be by far the most talented team he's ever walked in to.

He loves QBs! This might be the most important part.

I can see the Cleveland thing happening, I just hope for our sake it won't. And while I could see the Cardinals slipping, honestly I could also see them already having more wins than we may get.

I'm excited to see what Quinn can bring to the table, but I'm being honest with myself in that there is a reason he is on his third team, and has struggled for playing time.

I think both Cleveland and KC will squeak out a couple of wins for sure. As will Oakland. I think we could see some coin flips deciding the QB future of at least 2 teams this year.

How many years did Gannon play for before Oak? Keep in mind, I don't think Quinn is a good QB either, but thats for reasons that have nothing to with being on 3 different teams. I don't think half the starters in the league would've looked very good on those Cleveland teams and he never even played in Denver.

I disliked him coming out of college as a 1st round pick/franchise QB...however, I don't think I dislike him for what we currently need to win games. Weather or not we want to be winning games or not is another debate.

I'm sure we talked about this before, but what more could you want in your offense as a QB? How inept do you have to be to fail? One has to wonder if there is a backup in this league that could not be efficient, move the ball, and score points on this team. Cassel poses no deep ball threat, has poor ball placement/accuracy, and he can't find the guy who is open and we still find ourselves 3rd in total offense.

This is now a passing league...many teams can pass even if they don't have a strong running game. We might have the best running game in the league, which makes it that much easier. There are plenty of open receivers...all Quinn has to do is locate them and have the arm to get it there, which he does. I wouldn't expect him to do much with a bad or even average group of players around him...I think we are taylor-made for a guy like Quinn to succeed at a fairly high level, or well enough to get a decent contract to start somewhere (hopefully not with us). Although I don't think there will necessarily be enough openings for him to get a job next year, much like there wasn't for Orton or Campbell.

I don't play fantasy, but i'd add Baldwin on my team as long as Quinn is playing. We'll find out next week as we go against a TB team last in the league in yards per completion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: