Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cardinals RB Ryan Williams out for the season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 years is a long time.

Our D is great atm, adding a RB of MJD's quality and we will be playoff bound and a chance at a run to it all.

You hope a 1st gives you 10 years, how many 1st last 10 years with their own teams these days, not many.

Lower your hopes people, we have a problem, this is a fix.

It is not perfect, but it is an opinion
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:
MJD Is worth a 1st, even at 28.

He is top 5 RB in the league and will give you 4 good years.

That is a worthy pickup for a 1st really, least you know he can play, rather than hope he pans out.

Show me the last seasons in which a 31 and 32 year old RB gave you 1200+ yards at 4.5 YPC, Since 1980, only 5 players aged 31 or older as of Decemeber 31st of the year they played (so could have played most of the season at 30 and then turned 31 on the 30th of decemebr) have ever posted a year of 1200+ rushing yards at better than 4.5 YPC and it has NEVER been done by a player who was 32 or older on the 31st of December of the year they achevied the feat.

For reference the 5 backs that have done it, Fred Taylor, Walter Payton, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin and James Brooks.

Merely an opinion, which is what a forum is about. 1200 or 1000 yards is more than we are getting the past 5 years from anyone at RB, so we should be happy with that.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
4 years is a long time

No, it really isn't. It's 1 year less than the contract any 1st round rookie would sign...
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Nevermind the 2-4 years argument, a 1st round pick who only plays 4 years for your team is an incredible waste.

Depends on the player & situation. MJD for 4 years is too much to give for that position. A top 5 tackle for 4 years would be a steal for us. I'm not comfortable just signing some scrub like Thomas Jones or Steve Slaton. There's a reason those guys are unemployed. Give the Bills a mid rounder for Jackson who's under contract thru the 14-15 season. We CANNOT make it thru this season without a LEGIT back.

Disagree with basically this entire post. No offense.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's PFT's suggestion...

As more and more teams that don’t have franchise quarterbacks are embracing the combination of stout defense and a potent running game, one of the teams applying that approach has seen its running game decimated by injury.

The Cardinals have lost Beanie Wells to a turf toe and Ryan Williams to shoulder surgery. Though Wells has been placed on the new IR-light list that allows him to return later in the year, they need help sooner than later.

And with LaRod Stephens-Howling, who has 12 carries for one (yes, one) yard this season as the new top option, the Cardinals should explore other possibilities.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt says the team will keep all options open. During Tuesday’s PFT Live, I threw out a bunch of possibilities, focusing on two teams that go four deep at the position (the Pats and the Saints). During Tuesday’s Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports Network, I reiterated a more specific suggestion.

Trade for Chris Johnson.

The Titans won’t be keeping Johnson beyond 2012, not with a $10 million salary due next year, $9 million of which becomes fully guaranteed the week after the next Super Bowl. And it’s not as if the Titans will be turning things around; as Johnson recently said himself, they’re simply not a good team.

So move him, and get value. With the Cardinals a surprising 4-1 and in need of a kick in the butt on offense, why not pick up a guy who would possibly benefit from a change of scenery?

Sure, it would be an 11-game rental. It still would be worth it, especially if the Titans are willing to be realistic about their expectations for a guy who is averaging less than three yards per carry.

For the Cardinals, that’s a welcome upgrade from a guy who’s averaging less than 0.1 yards per carry.

Not a terrible idea, although Darren Urban disputes it adementally.

Why not offer a 4th or 5th rounder? Let Larry motivate a once dynamic talent?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Urban. Nevermind the fact that he's ridiculously unproductive behind a line that's actually better than ours, have you seen that contract? I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
I'm with Urban. Nevermind the fact that he's ridiculously unproductive behind a line that's actually better than ours, have you seen that contract? I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Change of scenary I think would energize him. But yeah, the money thing kind of kills it.

Dare to dream...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JohnnyV"]
stchamp98 wrote:

Change of scenary I think would energize him[quote]

I would think a better OL would energize him. We can't offer that.

And ya, there's the money. 10 mill, 9 fully guaranteed? That's ridiculous money for a guy with his current production. And we need that money, we've got other guys to pay. Andre Roberts, O'Brien Schofield and Kerry Rhodes will be all be in the last year of their deals next year, both Acho and Peterson will be free agents the year after. We need that money.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stchamp98"][quote="JohnnyV"]
stchamp98 wrote:

Change of scenary I think would energize him
Quote:

I would think a better OL would energize him. We can't offer that.

And ya, there's the money. 10 mill, 9 fully guaranteed? That's ridiculous money for a guy with his current production. And we need that money, we've got other guys to pay. Andre Roberts, O'Brien Schofield and Kerry Rhodes will be all be in the last year of their deals next year, both Acho and Peterson will be free agents the year after. We need that money.

How much would we owe him if say, we rented him for 11 games this year then cut him?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we give draft compensation for an unproductive 2012 player only to cut him the next year?
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Why would we give draft compensation for an unproductive 2012 player only to cut him the next year?

With the hope that it will generate a spark to a lifeless running game. The blocking has been dreadful, but our backs have missed a fairshare of holes.

Listen, I'm not saying it's likely but to go with what we have in hopes for Beanie to return by late November is a death sentence.

LSH can't carry the rock 20 times a game, and Powell already has a concussion.

Smith is below average. Shake things up and spend a late rounder in hopes that you catch lightning in a bottle with this guy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line, myself personally, there's no interest at all in acquiring Johnson. His play isn't worth a damn (2.9 YPC), he doesn't actually fix our problem (Which begins and ends up front) and he's making too much money. We can get William Powell to average 2.9 a carry and he'll do it for 300 thousand. For me, there's simply no interest.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Bottom line, myself personally, there's no interest at all in acquiring Johnson. His play isn't worth a damn (2.9 YPC), he doesn't actually fix our problem (Which begins and ends up front) and he's making too much money. We can get William Powell to average 2.9 a carry and he'll do it for 300 thousand. For me, there's simply no interest.

Understandable. Interested to see what they want to do with Powell this week.

My guess is that if the backs don't perform they way they hope against a below average run defense like the Bills, we will become more active in looking for help.

Jurecki just tweeted we are "status quo" on the matter.

Test trial run this Sunday I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

My guess is that if the backs don't perform they way they hope against a below average run defense like the Bills, we will become more active in looking for help.

That's what I figured monday when I saw Whiz say he wasn't in a rush to add anyone. Wait and see how this week goes, evaluate from there.

If we do try and trade for someone, I'd bet it'd be someone with a lower profile/lower cost. Chris Ivory's name has been floated a few times but a few people, he'd make a lot of sense.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

That's what I figured monday when I saw Whiz say he wasn't in a rush to add anyone. Wait and see how this week goes, evaluate from there.

If we do try and trade for someone, I'd bet it'd be someone with a lower profile/lower cost. Chris Ivory's name has been floated a few times but a few people, he'd make a lot of sense.

We've struggled in short yardage and on first down. You hate to say it but we need a back like Edge who could plot his way toward positive yards so the offense wasn't going backwards.

Kolb has shown he is more than capable when the down and distance isn't absurd.

Ivory would make a lot of sense in that regard because of how tough a runner he is. Has size to boot.

Urban states that he would also make a lot of sense. Wait and see but the Packers are also thought to be looking for help at RB with Benson out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: