Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OK THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OK THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
thank you BocaRatonBrown1 !!

I have never said, and I know most here, do not advocate vastly overpaying FAs or deals such Haynesworth, Williams, etc., but not every FA signing has to be about that.

But that doesnt mean sit on your hands and do nothing either.

that doesnt mean you give someone more money than they are worth. and the past few years that has been the case with most FA with the exception of a few I.E. jonathan Joseph, whom it came to s and the texans to get

How much a free agent gets depends upon market value, but no one is saying to hand out the 100 million contracts to top teir players.

The Browns need solid starters. Guys that can come in and fill the holes in the roster so that the young guys can learn and develop with out getting crushed and losing each week...
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: OK THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:

But that doesnt mean sit on your hands and do nothing either.

Like try and sign two decent WR's only to have Washington break the bank for them to no real result?

Thank you EZ. I remember everyone wanted to sign Ray Edwards to play DE for us, cost be no concern, How is that workin out for Atlanta. He is a decent player bt not worthy of the contract he got

are you telling me that Heckert only targeted 2 WRs?

I wont take anyone seriously that says "cost is no concern." ually those are the guys that dont stay here very long becuase they talk about the team like they are playing Madden.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OK THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:

The Browns need solid starters. Guys that can come in and fill the holes in the roster so that the young guys can learn and develop with out getting crushed and losing each week...

Like who?

Would you rather have Benjamin getting reps at WR, or Laurent Robinson? Or current free agent and absolutely bad WR Lee Evans?

If you are going to be bad, its better to be bad with young developmental players who could be good rather than overpaid, under-talented free agents who wont be here in 3 years?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OK THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:

Like who?

Would you rather have Benjamin getting reps at WR, or Laurent Robinson? Or current free agent and absolutely bad WR Lee Evans?

If you are going to be bad, its better to be bad with young developmental players who could be good rather than overpaid, under-talented free agents who wont be here in 3 years?

I dont understand why people cant see a middle road when it comes to FA?

- people eiher complain that they dont want huge contracts and over pay players that dont or wont produce, or its "under-talented free agents who wont be here in 3 years."

I suppose there is nothing in between?
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OK THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:

- people eiher complain that they dont want huge contracts and over pay players that dont or wont produce, or its "under-talented free agents who wont be here in 3 years."

For bad teams, there rarely is. And when you have guys you are offering reasonable contracts to and another team comes and blows it up, what can you do?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: OK THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:

For bad teams, there rarely is. And when you have guys you are offering reasonable contracts to and another team comes and blows it up, what can you do?

cast a wider net...

or put better bait on the hook....

but taking your pole out of the water just leaves you hungry.
CleBrowns07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
fatpig wrote:

WRs - VJAx, B Lloyd, J Simpson, Garcon, D Hixon, J Morgan

DBs - C Rodgers, C Finnegan, B Carr, etc

V-Jax went to 1-3 Tampa Bay
Garcon and Simpson have done nothing and have been injured
Hixson was resigned, he had no chance of coming here.
Morgan was overpaid and cost the Redskins a win.

Rodgers wasn't going from a championship contender to the Browns.
Finnegan is a jerk and hardly a great player to build a young team around.
Brandon Carr was given a ridiculous contract to be a #2.

Unless you are a good team on the cusp, spending big bucks on a free agent rarely works out. Heck, even the great OL we wanted (Eric Winston and Carl Nicks) are playing on bad teams.

Bringing in overpriced free agents to be on a bad team for a few years before they are overpaid and under performing will not help us long term or really short term.

I always respect your opinions and posts, but dude you have no clue what you're talking about. Cortland is one of the most stand-up guys in the entire league outside of the football field. Look up some stuff on him, you'll be very surprised to learn how wrong you are.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleBrowns07 wrote:
Cortland is one of the most stand-up guys in the entire league outside of the football field. Look up some stuff on him, you'll be very surprised to learn how wrong you are.

What is your opinion on Lebron James as a person?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleBrowns07 wrote:

I always respect your opinions and posts, but dude you have no clue what you're talking about. Cortland is one of the most stand-up guys in the entire league outside of the football field. Look up some stuff on him, you'll be very surprised to learn how wrong you are.

Off the field, he may be a great guy, perhaps I should have rephrased.

On the field the guy is an agitator, a smack talker and a fight picker. The kind of guy fans love when they are winning and think is a punk when the team is losing.

Last thing I want is our young corners learning to talk a big game despite being on a crappy team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:

On the field the guy is an agitator, a smack talker and a fight picker. The kind of guy fans love when they are winning and think is a punk when the team is losing.

Last thing I want is our young corners learning to talk a big game despite being on a crappy team.

But he can back it up on the field. I'd love a guy like him on our team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleBrowns07 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:

But he can back it up on the field. I'd love a guy like him on our team.

idk IMO i think having corners who have that kind of an attitude are the best kind of corners to have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

idk IMO i think having corners who have that kind of an attitude are the best kind of corners to have.

If Dmitri Patterson and Buster Skrine were out there talking smack and running their mouths, they would be even more hated then they are now.

And its not like Finnegan would have come here anyway. I dont think its particularly surprising that he went were Jeff Fisher went

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:

If Dmitri Patterson and Buster Skrine were out there talking smack and running their mouths, they would be even more hated then they are now.

And its not like Finnegan would have come here anyway. I dont think its particularly surprising that he went were Jeff Fisher went

Yeah because they aren't very good. Cortland is.

And I do agree with the latter. Cortland was destined for St. Louis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: OK THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:

cast a wider net...

or put better bait on the hook....

but taking your pole out of the water just leaves you hungry.

Can't really cast a wider net, there are only so many Free Agents out there.

And better bait would be what Washington did which is what Phil Savage did, and it never works long term.

I am not opposed to signing FA's, but it has to be a smart and targeted approach, and its absurd to get into a bidding war for someone who is either not worth the price tag or wont be here long term.

The only thing I could say is that getting a go-to true #1 receiver could potentially help Weeden, but then again its not exactly helping the Buccaneers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with another poster in saying that our guys will have to be taken care of first. Mainly Haden and Mack soon which will be two huge contracts. I would be willing to sign one guy for 20-30 mil.

But Haden, Mack, Taylor, Sheard, possibly Little, Rubin?, and Ward are all going to need to be resigned within 2 years and that will be quite a bit of money.

We could sign an above average TE, FS, or G this offseason but that's about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: