Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will History Hurt Barkley?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
Matt Barkley is the safest quarterback in the draft. While it may not look like he has superstar potential, at worst you're getting a very solid starter.

Yea, I don't know about that.

Yeah. When he didn't have Khaled Holmes at C, he was dreadful.

Who is a safer quarterback prospect?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
Matt Barkley is the safest quarterback in the draft. While it may not look like he has superstar potential, at worst you're getting a very solid starter.

I mean, what does safer even entail? "Safest", "Highest Ceiling", etc. always have seemed to be buzzwords to me with little actual meaning.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that "safest" describes the quarterback who is least likely to bust.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

Safer? As in, more likely to not suck? The same guy as the best QB in the draft class, Geno Smith.

Geno has two real concerns: the offense in which he plays, and his level of competition. Good coaching can help with that. Barkley has neither of those concerns, but he adds some physical and consistency concerns, which in my opinion are a much bigger deal when you're trying to get an elite quarterback. I do think Barkley is a first round pick, but I would not take him in the first half of the first round.

That said, I think Barkley is more likely to still be in the league in 5 years. I figure that, at worst, Barkley is a decent backup. At worst, Geno is out of the league.
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
I would say that "safest" describes the quarterback who is least likely to bust.

Well then that describes the best QB prospect to me...who is Geno Smith.

JWingate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

Barkley is by far the safest QB in this draft, who are you going to say Geno Smith. A guy who has been good for 1 year? I am sure that hasn't burned a NFL team before. Barkley has a compact throwing motion with a quick release. He has great footwork and is very accurate, with good power. He understands defenses as well. This guy is going to be a great QB in the NFL and only people who look at stats will not understand that. I felt last year he would have been the only one to challenge Luck for the 1st overall pick of he declared, he didn't so we don't know if that is true or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

Safer? As in, more likely to not suck? The same guy as the best QB in the draft class, Geno Smith.

Geno has two real concerns: the offense in which he plays, and his level of competition. Good coaching can help with that. Barkley has neither of those concerns, but he adds some physical and consistency concerns, which in my opinion are a much bigger deal when you're trying to get an elite quarterback. I do think Barkley is a first round pick, but I would not take him in the first half of the first round.

That said, I think Barkley is more likely to still be in the league in 5 years. I figure that, at worst, Barkley is a decent backup. At worst, Geno is out of the league.

Geno is the hype of the year, while he will be a very good prospect it is like saying RGIII was a better prospect than Andrew Luck for the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

Barkley is by far the safest QB in this draft, who are you going to say Geno Smith. A guy who has been good for 1 year? I am sure that hasn't burned a NFL team before. Barkley has a compact throwing motion with a quick release. He has great footwork and is very accurate, with good power. He understands defenses as well. This guy is going to be a great QB in the NFL and only people who look at stats will not understand that. I felt last year he would have been the only one to challenge Luck for the 1st overall pick of he declared, he didn't so we don't know if that is true or not.

He wouldn't have challenged Griffin for #2 last year. He won't go #1 this year. You're majorly overrating Barkley.

As for Geno being good for 1 year...he had 31 TDs to 7 ints in 2011 and 24 TDs to 7 ints in 2010...he has not only been "good for 1 year". Try again.

Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

Everything positive you said about Barkley applies to Geno as well, except Geno possibly at each thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith has been good for one year? Laughing

Nevemind his first year starting with Mullens as an OC. Or 30 TDs last season.

Some people.

RIP Robin Williams
91jmay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
91jmay wrote:
Why would Lane Kiffin have any bearing on things. Which good QBs has he developed? He was on the staff for Lienart and Palmer as well. Odd comment.

Palmer turned out great, he just got injured and fell off...... Just because Leinart failed doesn't mean Barkley will because he is playing under Kiffin, at USC, etc.....

So why would the above poster say that those QBs don't matter because they didn't have Lane (when they did). What has Lane proven as a QB guru?

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
91jmay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersuavesky wrote:
Smith has been good for one year? Laughing

Nevemind his first year starting with Mullens as an OC. Or 30 TDs last season.

Some people.

Whenever somebody says Geno's only been good for one year, I just read 'I've only heard about/watched him this year'.

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love me some Geno Smith, but I think hating on Barkley is kinda becoming the "cool" thing right about now. This usually happens with highly hyped guys who are under the microscope for so long. Barkley was touted as the #1 overall pick since his freshman year, so people are tired of that. I'm not saying his flaws aren't there, they are, but I think people are amplifying those flaws just to justify knocking him down another peg.

Is he a perfect quarterback? Of course not. But he's got experience in a pro style offense, he runs that offense well, he is accurate, great footwork, great release, and no, he doesn't have a cannon, but he has some good arm strength. Also, he seems like a good kid. I feel like his intangibles are up there as well.

His arm isn't overly strong, and for the weapons he has I feel like he could be putting up better numbers, but I still see a top 15 pick who can be a good to great NFL quarterback. Maybe not elite, but certainly someone I would be happy with who you can win games with.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
I love me some Geno Smith, but I think hating on Barkley is kinda becoming the "cool" thing right about now. This usually happens with highly hyped guys who are under the microscope for so long. Barkley was touted as the #1 overall pick since his freshman year, so people are tired of that. I'm not saying his flaws aren't there, they are, but I think people are amplifying those flaws just to justify knocking him down another peg.

Is he a perfect quarterback? Of course not. But he's got experience in a pro style offense, he runs that offense well, he is accurate, great footwork, great release, and no, he doesn't have a cannon, but he has some good arm strength. Also, he seems like a good kid. I feel like his intangibles are up there as well.

His arm isn't overly strong, and for the weapons he has I feel like he could be putting up better numbers, but I still see a top 15 pick who can be a good to great NFL quarterback. Maybe not elite, but certainly someone I would be happy with who you can win games with.

I haven't got to see Barkley play much this year, but based on what you have just said you have described what sounds like a 2nd round pick to me at best.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"By another peg" here really just means "knocked below a QB that looks better and might be late first day instead of top 10" no one's hating on Barkley and claiming he's some late round guy or anything. Him being touted as a future #1 just had a good bit to do with him being in a high profile program and right now he's just not looking better than other guy(s) from the same class that went under the raider in the mainstream media talks because they didn't play for a school like USC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: