Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will History Hurt Barkley?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 47601
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
In 30 attempts...

Quote:
RT @Ryan_McCrystal: Just finished charting Matt Barkley vs Syracuse... 16 of his 23 completions were at or behind the line of scrimmage.
That about sums it up.


Not surprising at all. Don't be surprised if Barkley ends up being a Brady Quinn type player in the NFL. I really don't trust his arm strength at all and he's short. Honestly, in terms of physical tools, he's right on that same level with Mark Sanchez. Might even be below him. I just don't see a special player. I am seeing a mid to late 1st rounder at best. If this QB class didn't lack a legit #2, Barkley would be in trouble. He might still be.

bmore4life815 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
dtwizzy2k8 wrote:
I haven't got to see Barkley play much this year, but based on what you have just said you have described what sounds like a 2nd round pick to me at best.


Ryan Tannehill is a top ten pick and Brandon Weeden is a first round pick but Matt Barkley is a second pick at best? Laughing Rolling Eyes

If Matt Barkley played for any other school, that would never have been posted. Rest assured, my friend, we'll be back to rag on the naysayers soon enough.


You honestly think Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden were better prospects than Matt Barkley?

... The hell? Seriously, how in the world did you interpret that from what I typed?

I said that some people's obvious hate for USC is beginning to result in Barkley getting underrated. He's a better prospect than Tannehill and Weeden put together. I then said that us two will be back here to clown on the certain posters who honestly believe that Barkley is a second round talent.


He's more polished than Tannehill but Tannehill has more physical upside.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bo_Spice


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 9687
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because one game tells you how good a prospect is. Rolling Eyes
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 47601
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Because one game tells you how good a prospect is. Rolling Eyes


Nope, does 7 work for you?(and that's only counting 2011 and 2012)
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bo_Spice


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 9687
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
Because one game tells you how good a prospect is. Rolling Eyes


Nope, does 7 work for you?(and that's only counting 2011 and 2012)


People love to hate on Matt Barkley for some reason. Do I think he is an elite prospect? No. But is he a very good prospect? Yes. He's been tutored his entire life to be an NFL quarterback. He's a true student of the game and he possess all of the intangibles you look for in a quarterback. Physically he's not going to blow you away but he has a very quick release, excellent footwork, and enough arm strength to make all of the throws required to run an NFL offense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Supersuavesky


Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 29188
Location: Anywhere But Here
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
91jmay wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
91jmay wrote:
Why would Lane Kiffin have any bearing on things. Which good QBs has he developed? He was on the staff for Lienart and Palmer as well. Odd comment.


Palmer turned out great, he just got injured and fell off...... Just because Leinart failed doesn't mean Barkley will because he is playing under Kiffin, at USC, etc.....


So why would the above poster say that those QBs don't matter because they didn't have Lane (when they did). What has Lane proven as a QB guru?


What has Dana Holgerson proven as a quarterback guru? Oh yeah, that his offense pads stats and that he's never been around a program that is producing NFL quarterbacks.
Which is a useless argument against Smith who has proven he can play in nearly any system.
_________________
PSN: Suavesky

RIP Robin Williams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bo_Spice


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 9687
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersuavesky wrote:
Which is a useless argument against Smith who has proven he can play in nearly any system.


How has he proven he can play in any system? In 2010 he ran a spread offense under Bill Stewart and Jeff Mullen and has ran a fluke passing spread offense the past two seasons under Dana Holgorsen.
_________________


Last edited by Bo_Spice on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 47601
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
Because one game tells you how good a prospect is. Rolling Eyes


Nope, does 7 work for you?(and that's only counting 2011 and 2012)


People love to hate on Matt Barkley for some reason. Do I think he is an elite prospect? No. But is he a very good prospect? Yes. He's been tutored his entire life to be an NFL quarterback. He's a true student of the game and he possess all of the intangibles you look for in a quarterback. Physically he's not going to blow you away but he has a very quick release, excellent footwork, and enough arm strength to make all of the throws required to run an NFL offense.


He's a short QB that is lacking in arm strength and mobility. I just don't see a top 5 or top 10 pick. His physical tools are just plain lacking.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bo_Spice


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 9687
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
He's a short QB that is lacking in arm strength and mobility. I just don't see a top 5 or top 10 pick. His physical tools are just plain lacking.


His arm strength is very underrated. He doesn't have a cannon but he also doesn't have a noodle arm. His arm is strong enough to make all of the throws in an NFL offense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrashMan510


Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Posts: 4585
Location: Bay Area
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
In 30 attempts...

Quote:
RT @Ryan_McCrystal: Just finished charting Matt Barkley vs Syracuse... 16 of his 23 completions were at or behind the line of scrimmage.


ok Laughing

SC threw tons of quick screens/bubble screens and Syracuse coulden't stop them.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s
fuarge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 47601
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
He's a short QB that is lacking in arm strength and mobility. I just don't see a top 5 or top 10 pick. His physical tools are just plain lacking.


His arm strength is very underrated. He doesn't have a cannon but he also doesn't have a noodle arm. His arm is strong enough to make all of the throws in an NFL offense.


His arm strength isn't underrated. If we were looking at NFL Starting QBs, he'd be in the bottom 5 in terms of arm strength.

Is it strong enough to make all the throws? I don't know. The deep outs, curls and comebacks will be very difficult for him. I think we'll see him struggle driving the ball outside the hashes on intermediate routes. He does have good ball placement on his deep ball though.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmore4life815


Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 3429
Location: Climbing up M&T
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys crack me up.

Christian Ponder as a prospect: Doesn't have a Jay Cutler arm or anything, but he can still make all throws. He'll be fine.

Matt Barkley as a prospect: Noodle arm lulz!!!

Granted, Ponder's athleticism easily surpasses that of Barkley. But he's also pretty much the exact same size and was clearly not as gifted a passer.... Most of you were claiming that Ponder was a justified first round pick; he was going to be a quality starter for a number of years. Hell, one guy stated that he would end up being the top player (not just QB) from that class. But Barkley? Average prospect, not a first round talent, next Brady Quinn, etc.

You guys can't type with a straight face that you're going solely off the eye test. It has nothing to do with the uniform he's wearing or the coach he's playing under, right?
_________________

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 47601
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Christian Ponder as a prospect: Doesn't have a Jay Cutler arm or anything, but he can still make all throws. He'll be fine.

Matt Barkley as a prospect: Noodle arm lulz!!!

Granted, Ponder's athleticism easily surpasses that of Barkley. But he's also pretty much the exact same size and was clearly not as gifted a passer.... Most of you were claiming that Ponder was a justified first round pick; he was going to be a quality starter for a number of years. Hell, one guy stated that he would end up being the top player (not just QB) from that class. But Barkley? Average prospect, not a first round talent, next Brady Quinn, etc.

You guys can't type with a straight face that you're going solely off the eye test. It has nothing to do with the uniform he's wearing or the coach he's playing under, right?


Uhhhhhh what? Eh?

There were a lot of people here that had Ponder as a 3rd rounder or worse and the consensus opinion was that he was overdrafted. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Me? I think healthy Ponder showed more arm strength than Barkley(not a lot but more) and was more mobile. However, I still didn't have Ponder as a top 15 pick. So there's no double standard here.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmore4life815


Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 3429
Location: Climbing up M&T
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Christian Ponder as a prospect: Doesn't have a Jay Cutler arm or anything, but he can still make all throws. He'll be fine.

Matt Barkley as a prospect: Noodle arm lulz!!!

Granted, Ponder's athleticism easily surpasses that of Barkley. But he's also pretty much the exact same size and was clearly not as gifted a passer.... Most of you were claiming that Ponder was a justified first round pick; he was going to be a quality starter for a number of years. Hell, one guy stated that he would end up being the top player (not just QB) from that class. But Barkley? Average prospect, not a first round talent, next Brady Quinn, etc.

You guys can't type with a straight face that you're going solely off the eye test. It has nothing to do with the uniform he's wearing or the coach he's playing under, right?


Uhhhhhh what? Eh?

There were a lot of people here that had Ponder as a 3rd rounder or worse and the consensus opinion was that he was overdrafted. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Me? I think healthy Ponder showed more arm strength than Barkley(not a lot but more) and was more mobile. However, I still didn't have Ponder as a top 15 pick. So there's no double standard here.

Didn't you say that Ponder was the most pro ready QB in the draft?

Where did you have Dalton? Because Ponder easily won the poll between the two in terms of who would develop as the better QB on this very forum.

I know reality_check wasn't very fond, but, for the most part, I ran into quite a few who were high as a kite on him and thought he'd be an above-average starter.
_________________

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 47601
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Christian Ponder as a prospect: Doesn't have a Jay Cutler arm or anything, but he can still make all throws. He'll be fine.

Matt Barkley as a prospect: Noodle arm lulz!!!

Granted, Ponder's athleticism easily surpasses that of Barkley. But he's also pretty much the exact same size and was clearly not as gifted a passer.... Most of you were claiming that Ponder was a justified first round pick; he was going to be a quality starter for a number of years. Hell, one guy stated that he would end up being the top player (not just QB) from that class. But Barkley? Average prospect, not a first round talent, next Brady Quinn, etc.

You guys can't type with a straight face that you're going solely off the eye test. It has nothing to do with the uniform he's wearing or the coach he's playing under, right?


Uhhhhhh what? Eh?

There were a lot of people here that had Ponder as a 3rd rounder or worse and the consensus opinion was that he was overdrafted. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Me? I think healthy Ponder showed more arm strength than Barkley(not a lot but more) and was more mobile. However, I still didn't have Ponder as a top 15 pick. So there's no double standard here.

Didn't you say that Ponder was the most pro ready QB in the draft?

Where did you have Dalton? Because Ponder easily won the poll between the two in terms of who would develop as the better QB on this very forum.

I know reality_check wasn't very fond, but, for the most part, I ran into quite a few who were high as a kite on him and thought he'd be an above-average starter.


I did. I said he was the most Pro Ready QB but I thought he had limited upside and wouldn't be much more than a solid QB. I guess we'll see on the 2nd part.

Where did I have Dalton? Wasn't overly high on him to be honest. Remember thinking that he was overrated and that he was comparable to Greg McElroy except had a bigger arm...although I really liked McElroy...and still do.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 83785
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Matt Barkley is the safest quarterback in the draft. While it may not look like he has superstar potential, at worst you're getting a very solid starter.


is that worth the #1 pick though?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group