Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

When is it okay to talk down to people?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x0x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

To make for a short story. This 20 year old kid was being wise today and we came to ahead and he told me it was unfair that because he didn't have kids, a degree, a good job and was only 20 I shouldn't disrespect him.

It's not like I was telling him to shut up, I was with friends at a BBQ and he kept making comments I felt were......ignorant/uneducated.

Nothing against the kid but.....I'm sorry I don't respect people at that age unless they are serious prodigies.
maes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

you should respect everyone you meet until they give you a serious reason not to.
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never. Why anyone would ever think it's okay is beyond me. I don't care how old you are, I don't care what you're degree is, I don't care if you're the CEO of a company talking to the janitor, never talk down to someone.

And I can honestly say I never do (or at least I can't think of any incidents in the past few months where I have), so I'm not a hypocrite in that regard.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohlmann20 wrote:
Never. Why anyone would ever think it's okay is beyond me. I don't care how old you are, I don't care what you're degree is, I don't care if you're the CEO of a company talking to the janitor, never talk down to someone.

And I can honestly say I never do (or at least I can't think of any incidents in the past few months where I have), so I'm not a hypocrite in that regard.

Iwill tell people off who are blatantly rude to me or my girlfriend/family. That's about it. Talking down to people for no reason just means you're an [inappropriate/removed]

Revel8 wrote:
I believe I may have already found it. Not only the way to cure ebola, but every virus period.

PSN: ShiiNyIV
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
Bohlmann20 wrote:

Iwill tell people off who are blatantly rude to me or my girlfriend/family. That's about it. Talking down to people for no reason just means you're an [inappropriate/removed]

Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, but I'm interpreting "talking down to people" as meaning condescending, so telling people off because they're rude to you and others wouldn't be applicable. Maybe I'm wrong.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
To make for a short story. This 20 year old kid was being wise today and we came to ahead and he told me it was unfair that because he didn't have kids, a degree, a good job and was only 20 I shouldn't disrespect him.

It's not like I was telling him to shut up, I was with friends at a BBQ and he kept making comments I felt were......ignorant/uneducated.

Nothing against the kid but.....I'm sorry I don't respect people at that age unless they are serious prodigies.

That appears to indicate you have an attitude.

If his comments were uneducated then what you suggest is it isn't his fault. Rather than judge him take the time to educate and help him out. People are a result of surroundings, education and experience which makes us all unique.

As a teacher I expect you know this. I find its never O.K. To judge people and a helping hand is far more effective than a put down.

My .02 cents.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Dus10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, at no point in my encounters with x0x did I ever believe he was a teacher.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I see it.

First try to dissolve the issue politely. (correct them if they are wrong or something)

2nd, if they are persistent and you know they are wrong, just ignore them.

If they are still being rude/annoying, I can see standing up for yourself, but I see the action of "talking down" as an offensive gesture. Telling someone to shutup and leave or something to me isnt really talking down, its just defending your space.

Honestly, this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I link "talking down" and sarcasm to an extent and I used to be REALLY sarcastic, but I actually think that has fallen quite a bit.

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
candyman93

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dus10 wrote:
For the record, at no point in my encounters with x0x did I ever believe he was a teacher.

Scary to think about isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Dus10 wrote:

Scary to think about isn't it?

If only you knew that my career quiz (or whatevs it's called, just a test to find out what career you should pursue) told me I should become a teacher.
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:

Depending on what the comments were, I think you would be right to tell him they are inappropriate, and that you didn't appreciate them. From there, it's on him to stop. I've been in many a fight over words, but they were some of the ugliest words (one in particular) there are, and I have always been 100% against people using that word towards a group of people. If he was disrespecting you or the people you were with, I see no problem putting him in his place.

x0x wrote:

See, the problem is, this is an ignorant/uneducated comment in itself. There's no reason to not respect soneone who is younger than you, simply because they are younger than you.

I can see both sides of this. You are basically saying ou don't respect him because of his age, which is pretty ignorant. If that's why he was making comments, I can't say I blame him. Now, if he was just making comments to get under your skin, or be disrespectful to you or your group, by all means tell him where to stick it.
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
biggio7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never. There is no point in talking down to people at all. I've dealt with too many people like this in my relatively short life and it is annoying. I've dealt with teachers, professors, bosses and colleagues who talked down to me and others. There is no point in it at all.

Unless it's a TV show and you are Sheldon Cooper or Dr. Gregory House, there is no room to act like them, that goes for anybody. People thinking they are better than others and showing it has turned into a growing issue in this world. People need to stop sitting in their ivory towers.

Just a little rant but it hit a nerve because of my past dealings with people like that and they weren't any better than me.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do it over the internet.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

YlionsY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never.
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
When you do it over the internet.

Laughing truth

Am I wrong in assuming "talking down to someone" and "telling someone off" are two completely different things? Nothing is worse than someone who is condescending, and chances are a person like that is hated by 9/10 people they interact with. Telling someone off on the other hand definitely is ok in certain situations if it's justified.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: