Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

When is it okay to talk down to people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
x0x wrote:
Say a 19 year old kid who I was never a teacher of is talking to me about Kobe Bryant being GOAT. I tell him about Jordan and all he tells me is he was on a loaded team and Kobe carries his team. I tell him that Kobe had Shaq and that he had good players in his second run of titles and that he hasn't dominated in every aspect as Jordan. I go on to tell this guy that Jordan was once a DPOY and that he was a better producer in the playoffs than regular season, etc. This kid then ignores all of this and keeps arguing for Kobe when he clearly knows very little about MJ.
IT'S THE ONLY ARGUMENT I NEED SEAN.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This just reminded me of the amazing Trout >>>> Cabrera meme I made a few weeks ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninerfanwheelz


Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 11962
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
It's ironic because most young people don't respect teachers.

I have never really seen any of that in any classes that I have been. It's quite the opposite in my school.


What kind of school do you go to? Every kid respects all of their teachers? Laughing
_________________

Deadpulse on the sig

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
How does it end? Hopefully it's a guy snake cause girls don't poop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 25197
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are times that may require you to do so for their safety, or for discipline, or for some other reason when in a position of authority.

You shouldn't have to "talk down to them" but sometimes it is the only way to get your point across.

However, to talk down to someone simply because they are young, or old, or male or female, or whatever stereotypical reason is just ignorant.
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
as11osu


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 15757
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you sign in on FF.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninerfanwheelz wrote:
green24 wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
It's ironic because most young people don't respect teachers.

I have never really seen any of that in any classes that I have been. It's quite the opposite in my school.


What kind of school do you go to? Every kid respects all of their teachers? Laughing


People are pretty nice to the teachers in the classes that I'm in. Almost all of the classes that I've been in have been AP/Honors courses, but I have not heard of many egregious cases. There is one very smart, yet rude kid who is the exception to this. There has only been one teacher that he did not have serious problems with. If he wasn't an absolute genius, he would have been expelled by now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mich_fan20


Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 17655
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> bashes the youth for being on computers too much
> has 12,000 posts on an internet forum
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brownsfan1710


Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 1529
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninerfanwheelz wrote:
green24 wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
It's ironic because most young people don't respect teachers.

I have never really seen any of that in any classes that I have been. It's quite the opposite in my school.


What kind of school do you go to? Every kid respects all of their teachers? Laughing


To be honest, the kids that usually don't respect any teachers (or very few) are the ones that do poorly in their classes.

However, I will say that unless the teacher respects his students, he/she deserves no respect. My econ teacher this semester basically outlined his job perfectly when, in broken English, he told us 'teachers are just information sharers. We get paid to tell you what we know, and hope you absorb it and learn more than us.' Awesome mentality for a teacher to have, imo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15539
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mich_fan20 wrote:
> bashes the youth for being on computers too much
> has 12,000 posts on an internet forum


To be fair, you have more posts than me in the same time period. Laughing

On top of that, there's nothing I can do for the disconnect of our time, I enjoy talking sports here. It's a nice vent since I have a lot of sports discussions in my head...ha...


fretgod wrote:
Having a practice for 20 years doesn't make one a good doctor any more than having a practice for only a few years makes one a poor doctor. They can be indicators of likely competency (particularly on the 20 year side), but they are not guarantees.



Generally, doing anything for 20 years means you've more than likely come across more variables. If you're a doctor for only a year, you may have had less uncommon cases to deal with, or less emergencies, etc.

This cannot be taught. I can tell you the rule applies in every profession. What I've learned through experience in teaching (academics and athletics) could never be taught to me. When I help younger individuals in the same field I tell them the same, to relax and let life teach them.


brownsfan1710 wrote:
Why are you a teacher if you don't respect the 18-25 year old bubble, when you're just 7-14 years older? You're relatively the same generation, and just because you got a degree, and are teaching a subject (or subjects) doesn't instantly put you in front of them in a knowledge standpoint, something that you're more than likely doing. Talking down to someone, and disrespect are the easiest way(and from a student perspective, the funniest) to get embarrassed by a student who knows more than you, and I guarantee one does.


Again, without knowing my full situation I don't think anyone here can comment on my job and I think talking about other people's jobs on an internet forum is generally foolhearted.

However I will touch on the generation gap.

Most people today probably won't bat an eye for what the difference between a WWII vet and a Korean vet is, indeed WWII spanned from 39-45 while Korea was 50-53. But the gap is indeed significant. Growing up with grandparents and their peers I could see the obvious differing viewpoints.


Although war veterans respect eachother without a doubt, there was always a superiority for WWII veterans over their Korean vet counterparts. And that's a 5-8 year gap.


My students are 14-18. As such, all of them have grown up entirely in the internet age. And that's not a generation, it's just a bigger timeline to deal with.

80s kids and 90s kids did not grow up in the same environment.


I think ignoring an 8-10 year age gap and just saying " basically the same time period " is ignoring all the differing changes in the social and political scene.


And it is indeed significant.



One funny example to me I can relate to teaching is this:


Growing up, snowball fights were limited at school but generally accepted unless kids were getting aggressive. Then one kid got hit with an ice ball and schools came down hard in my province. Now if a kid throws a snowball it carries an automatic 2 week suspension, although it depends on how active the kid was at throwing ( like if he threw one snowball and it didn't hit anyone the teachers will let it slide ).


To say this one example is insignificant would be gravely ignorant.


As well, having a childhood where we didn't have the option of playing on the computer and where video games were generally a secondary passtime, I can tell you this is also a significant difference in generation gap.



Now I can't get into politics, but if you do your research you should know why it's so significant in terms of age groups if you grew up in the 80s, 90s or in the 21st century.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JammerHammer21


Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 27953
Location: Anywhere
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
ninerfanwheelz wrote:
green24 wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
It's ironic because most young people don't respect teachers.

I have never really seen any of that in any classes that I have been. It's quite the opposite in my school.


What kind of school do you go to? Every kid respects all of their teachers? Laughing


People are pretty nice to the teachers in the classes that I'm in. Almost all of the classes that I've been in have been AP/Honors courses, but I have not heard of many egregious cases. There is one very smart, yet rude kid who is the exception to this. There has only been one teacher that he did not have serious problems with. If he wasn't an absolute genius, he would have been expelled by now.


It depends on what you mean by respect. If you mean people don't talk back, sure, sometimes people don't do that. But not respecting them can also be not paying attention, talking in class, and if that doesn't happen at your school, what type of weird school do you go to? Laughing Wink
_________________

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 23188
Location: Tyler Starr, Adopt a Falcon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone gets talked down upon until they can show they can have an intelligent conversation, or until they bring something to the situation we are in.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
green24 wrote:
ninerfanwheelz wrote:
green24 wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
It's ironic because most young people don't respect teachers.

I have never really seen any of that in any classes that I have been. It's quite the opposite in my school.


What kind of school do you go to? Every kid respects all of their teachers? Laughing


People are pretty nice to the teachers in the classes that I'm in. Almost all of the classes that I've been in have been AP/Honors courses, but I have not heard of many egregious cases. There is one very smart, yet rude kid who is the exception to this. There has only been one teacher that he did not have serious problems with. If he wasn't an absolute genius, he would have been expelled by now.


It depends on what you mean by respect. If you mean people don't talk back, sure, sometimes people don't do that. But not respecting them can also be not paying attention, talking in class, and if that doesn't happen at your school, what type of weird school do you go to? Laughing Wink


It happens all the time in non-honors/AP classes, not really that often in honors/AP classes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JBURGE25


Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Posts: 14178
Location: Canadia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mich_fan20 wrote:
> bashes the youth for being on computers too much
> has 12,000 posts on an internet forum


Win
_________________

Revel8 wrote:
I believe I may have already found it. Not only the way to cure ebola, but every virus period.

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18877
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BornToFly wrote:
Bohlmann20 wrote:
Never. Why anyone would ever think it's okay is beyond me. I don't care how old you are, I don't care what you're degree is, I don't care if you're the CEO of a company talking to the janitor, never talk down to someone.

And I can honestly say I never do (or at least I can't think of any incidents in the past few months where I have), so I'm not a hypocrite in that regard.



This is the correct answer. I'm saddened that anyone would feel the need or want to talk down to another person.


These two posts say all that needs to be said. The answer is never.
_________________
Team Stylish313
Adopt-A-Lion: Calvin Johnson
Adopt-A-Lion: Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9203
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Bohlmann20 wrote:
Never. Why anyone would ever think it's okay is beyond me. I don't care how old you are, I don't care what you're degree is, I don't care if you're the CEO of a company talking to the janitor, never talk down to someone.

And I can honestly say I never do (or at least I can't think of any incidents in the past few months where I have), so I'm not a hypocrite in that regard.



This is the correct answer. I'm saddened that anyone would feel the need or want to talk down to another person.


These two posts say all that needs to be said. The answer is never.


i agree with this except for one exemption....when people are talking down to you or to others.

i love when some jerk is talking down to someone else yet they are dead wrong. then coming up and talking down to them. especially when they argue it and all you say to his newly formed argument is "no its ok we all make mistakes" Twisted Evil
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 19426
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
fretgod wrote:
Having a practice for 20 years doesn't make one a good doctor any more than having a practice for only a few years makes one a poor doctor. They can be indicators of likely competency (particularly on the 20 year side), but they are not guarantees.
Generally, doing anything for 20 years means you've more than likely come across more variables. If you're a doctor for only a year, you may have had less uncommon cases to deal with, or less emergencies, etc.

This cannot be taught. I can tell you the rule applies in every profession. What I've learned through experience in teaching (academics and athletics) could never be taught to me. When I help younger individuals in the same field I tell them the same, to relax and let life teach them.
And that's different than what I said how? Non sequitur. Not responsive to my point.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group