Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

When is it okay to talk down to people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BornToFly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohlmann20 wrote:
Never. Why anyone would ever think it's okay is beyond me. I don't care how old you are, I don't care what you're degree is, I don't care if you're the CEO of a company talking to the janitor, never talk down to someone.

And I can honestly say I never do (or at least I can't think of any incidents in the past few months where I have), so I'm not a hypocrite in that regard.

This is the correct answer. I'm saddened that anyone would feel the need or want to talk down to another person.

Thanks BenderRodriguez for the sig!
BornToFly's Relationship Advice v.17
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they're an A-Hole and they need to be put in their place. Just doing it because you disagree with someone is a jerkoff move.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
x0x wrote:
Nothing against the kid but.....I'm sorry I don't respect people at that age unless they are serious prodigies.

See, the problem is, this is an ignorant/uneducated comment in itself. There's no reason to not respect soneone who is younger than you, simply because they are younger than you.
Yeah, that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say.

The only time I've ever been particularly flippant to somebody is when that person is particularly disrespectful to me first, especially if it's because of something irrelevant or asinine, like me not being old enough in their eyes.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
x0x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
x0x wrote:

It's not like I was telling him to shut up, I was with friends at a BBQ and he kept making comments I felt were......ignorant/uneducated.

Depending on what the comments were, I think you would be right to tell him they are inappropriate, and that you didn't appreciate them. From there, it's on him to stop. I've been in many a fight over words, but they were some of the ugliest words (one in particular) there are, and I have always been 100% against people using that word towards a group of people. If he was disrespecting you or the people you were with, I see no problem putting him in his place.

It was a political discussion, so I can't go into much detail here. This kid was talking about things he read in books that are just one side of the coin. Me and my friends were being VERY fair and giving him his due, but eventually when we started correcting him and telling him to read this and that he started questioning how we were being brainwashed and that whole spiel.

I eventually told him he had to learn some things through experience, and that's when he began telling me he had already learned through other peoples experiences and anything I can say past that point would probably be biased as I thought he was being disrespectful to us.

Quote:
x0x wrote:
Nothing against the kid but.....I'm sorry I don't respect people at that age unless they are serious prodigies.

See, the problem is, this is an ignorant/uneducated comment in itself. There's no reason to not respect soneone who is younger than you, simply because they are younger than you.

I can see both sides of this. You are basically saying ou don't respect him because of his age, which is pretty ignorant. If that's why he was making comments, I can't say I blame him. Now, if he was just making comments to get under your skin, or be disrespectful to you or your group, by all means tell him where to stick it.

It's not really ignorant. To me and many others, respect is earned. It's not something you start off with by default.

Have I met some young people who impressed me? Absolutely, but they are few.

Basically it's called making your own way. There's just no way I'm going to by default respect a young kid who has probably not experienced much of what I have. But it doesn't mean I'll treat him as a child.

I think younger people can be more passionate and vocal about their opinions and this can get annoying at times.

But my point is that respect is earned and you don't earn my respect by being a blow hard.

Last edited by x0x on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it's funny that younger people are supposed to "respect their elders" but so many "elders" don't think they should respect younger people. I'm respectful towards pretty much everyone I meet(when sober) until they're not respectful towards me. I don't care if you're 17 or 67, if you talk down to me or act disrespectfully towards me, I'm not going to be respectful back.

Respect is something that should always be a two way street.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
But my point is that respect is earned and you don't earn my respect by being a blow hard.
It seems we are on the same page.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Absolutely.

MrDrew wrote:
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BornToFly wrote:
Bohlmann20 wrote:
Never. Why anyone would ever think it's okay is beyond me. I don't care how old you are, I don't care what you're degree is, I don't care if you're the CEO of a company talking to the janitor, never talk down to someone.

And I can honestly say I never do (or at least I can't think of any incidents in the past few months where I have), so I'm not a hypocrite in that regard.

This is the correct answer. I'm saddened that anyone would feel the need or want to talk down to another person.

Whoops, just realized I used the wrong "your" right before degree Laughing
Thankfully no one was condescending towards me about it *whipes brow in show of avoiding a close one*.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I find it's funny that younger people are supposed to "respect their elders" but so many "elders" don't think they should respect younger people. I'm respectful towards pretty much everyone I meet(when sober) until they're not respectful towards me. I don't care if you're 17 or 67, if you talk down to me or act disrespectfully towards me, I'm not going to be respectful back.

Exactly. You don't disrespect a person just because they are younger or older then you. That whole "I'm old so i have more experience then you because your young" crap is just that. CRAP. If you are older and walk up to a younger person and immediately think you have experienced more, your already being disrespectful because your being flat ignored in thinking you know what that person has gone through and/or experienced. I would never talk down to another human unless they gave me a reason to. Old, young or whatever. It really doesn't matter because if you stereotype a person just by talking to that person for a couple minutes, that's disrespect and then you would get no respect in return.

Kempes on the custom sig!
x0x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
x0x wrote:

Yes, so why is my statement on not respecting teens and people in early 20s until they've impressed me ignorant?

I don't talk down to kids as a reflex, but when they're acting like they "know" and they don't have all the facts, I might be a tad " read this and go to this, then get back to me ".

I mean, I'll give you a sports example to be appropriate.

Say a 19 year old kid who I was never a teacher of is talking to me about Kobe Bryant being GOAT. I tell him about Jordan and all he tells me is he was on a loaded team and Kobe carries his team. I tell him that Kobe had Shaq and that he had good players in his second run of titles and that he hasn't dominated in every aspect as Jordan. I go on to tell this guy that Jordan was once a DPOY and that he was a better producer in the playoffs than regular season, etc. This kid then ignores all of this and keeps arguing for Kobe when he clearly knows very little about MJ.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok when the person thinks that any other professional sport is better than Football.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
x0x wrote:

Yes, so why is my statement on not respecting teens and people in early 20s until they've impressed me ignorant?

I don't talk down to kids as a reflex, but when they're acting like they "know" and they don't have all the facts, I might be a tad " read this and go to this, then get back to me ".

Say a 19 year old kid who I was never a teacher of is talking to me about Kobe Bryant being GOAT. I tell him about Jordan and all he tells me is he was on a loaded team and Kobe carries his team. I tell him that Kobe had Shaq and that he had good players in his second run of titles and that he hasn't dominated in every aspect as Jordan. I go on to tell this guy that Jordan was once a DPOY and that he was a better producer in the playoffs than regular season, etc. This kid then ignores all of this and keeps arguing for Kobe when he clearly knows very little about MJ.
Let's say they in fact do know all the facts but still have a difference of opinion. Would you be able to differentiate those two vastly different situations? Or would your instincts be to think he just doesn't know?

Kempes on the custom sig!
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
x0x wrote:

All in all, I think you care about age wayyy too much. I mean, in almost every other post of yours, you cite your age in some way.

Age doesn't really measure anything definitively.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you're atop a ladder

El Ramster on the amazing work
green24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
x0x wrote:

So if a 16 year old says the same exact thing as a 30 year old, is it viewed differently. I've never really had to worry about this becuase I've impressed nearly every adult that I have talked to, but just because someone has different political views, it doesn't believe that I should be looked at as immature. I feel more in place when talking to adults than I sometimes do talking to people my own age.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: