Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

When is it okay to talk down to people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BornToFly


Joined: 08 Jan 2006
Posts: 12257
Location: SE Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohlmann20 wrote:
Never. Why anyone would ever think it's okay is beyond me. I don't care how old you are, I don't care what you're degree is, I don't care if you're the CEO of a company talking to the janitor, never talk down to someone.

And I can honestly say I never do (or at least I can't think of any incidents in the past few months where I have), so I'm not a hypocrite in that regard.



This is the correct answer. I'm saddened that anyone would feel the need or want to talk down to another person.
_________________

Thanks BenderRodriguez for the sig!
BornToFly's Relationship Advice v.17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DontTazeMeBro


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 25824
Location: 321
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they're an A-Hole and they need to be put in their place. Just doing it because you disagree with someone is a jerkoff move.
_________________

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Global Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 19258
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
x0x wrote:
Nothing against the kid but.....I'm sorry I don't respect people at that age unless they are serious prodigies.

See, the problem is, this is an ignorant/uneducated comment in itself. There's no reason to not respect soneone who is younger than you, simply because they are younger than you.
Yeah, that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say.

The only time I've ever been particularly flippant to somebody is when that person is particularly disrespectful to me first, especially if it's because of something irrelevant or asinine, like me not being old enough in their eyes.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15421
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
x0x wrote:

It's not like I was telling him to shut up, I was with friends at a BBQ and he kept making comments I felt were......ignorant/uneducated.

Depending on what the comments were, I think you would be right to tell him they are inappropriate, and that you didn't appreciate them. From there, it's on him to stop. I've been in many a fight over words, but they were some of the ugliest words (one in particular) there are, and I have always been 100% against people using that word towards a group of people. If he was disrespecting you or the people you were with, I see no problem putting him in his place.


It was a political discussion, so I can't go into much detail here. This kid was talking about things he read in books that are just one side of the coin. Me and my friends were being VERY fair and giving him his due, but eventually when we started correcting him and telling him to read this and that he started questioning how we were being brainwashed and that whole spiel.

I eventually told him he had to learn some things through experience, and that's when he began telling me he had already learned through other peoples experiences and anything I can say past that point would probably be biased as I thought he was being disrespectful to us.


Quote:
x0x wrote:
Nothing against the kid but.....I'm sorry I don't respect people at that age unless they are serious prodigies.

See, the problem is, this is an ignorant/uneducated comment in itself. There's no reason to not respect soneone who is younger than you, simply because they are younger than you.


I can see both sides of this. You are basically saying ou don't respect him because of his age, which is pretty ignorant. If that's why he was making comments, I can't say I blame him. Now, if he was just making comments to get under your skin, or be disrespectful to you or your group, by all means tell him where to stick it.


It's not really ignorant. To me and many others, respect is earned. It's not something you start off with by default.

Have I met some young people who impressed me? Absolutely, but they are few.


Basically it's called making your own way. There's just no way I'm going to by default respect a young kid who has probably not experienced much of what I have. But it doesn't mean I'll treat him as a child.

I think younger people can be more passionate and vocal about their opinions and this can get annoying at times.


But my point is that respect is earned and you don't earn my respect by being a blow hard.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time


Last edited by x0x on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 46674
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it's funny that younger people are supposed to "respect their elders" but so many "elders" don't think they should respect younger people. I'm respectful towards pretty much everyone I meet(when sober) until they're not respectful towards me. I don't care if you're 17 or 67, if you talk down to me or act disrespectfully towards me, I'm not going to be respectful back.

Respect is something that should always be a two way street.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Global Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 19258
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
But my point is that respect is earned and you don't earn my respect by being a blow hard.
It seems we are on the same page.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Global Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 19258
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Respect is something that should always be a two way street.
Absolutely.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bohlmann20


Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 5138
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BornToFly wrote:
Bohlmann20 wrote:
Never. Why anyone would ever think it's okay is beyond me. I don't care how old you are, I don't care what you're degree is, I don't care if you're the CEO of a company talking to the janitor, never talk down to someone.

And I can honestly say I never do (or at least I can't think of any incidents in the past few months where I have), so I'm not a hypocrite in that regard.



This is the correct answer. I'm saddened that anyone would feel the need or want to talk down to another person.


Whoops, just realized I used the wrong "your" right before degree Laughing
Thankfully no one was condescending towards me about it *whipes brow in show of avoiding a close one*.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketchup


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 13916
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I find it's funny that younger people are supposed to "respect their elders" but so many "elders" don't think they should respect younger people. I'm respectful towards pretty much everyone I meet(when sober) until they're not respectful towards me. I don't care if you're 17 or 67, if you talk down to me or act disrespectfully towards me, I'm not going to be respectful back.

Respect is something that should always be a two way street.
Exactly. You don't disrespect a person just because they are younger or older then you. That whole "I'm old so i have more experience then you because your young" crap is just that. CRAP. If you are older and walk up to a younger person and immediately think you have experienced more, your already being disrespectful because your being flat ignored in thinking you know what that person has gone through and/or experienced. I would never talk down to another human unless they gave me a reason to. Old, young or whatever. It really doesn't matter because if you stereotype a person just by talking to that person for a couple minutes, that's disrespect and then you would get no respect in return.
_________________

Kempes on the custom sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15421
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
x0x wrote:
But my point is that respect is earned and you don't earn my respect by being a blow hard.
It seems we are on the same page.


Yes, so why is my statement on not respecting teens and people in early 20s until they've impressed me ignorant?


I don't talk down to kids as a reflex, but when they're acting like they "know" and they don't have all the facts, I might be a tad " read this and go to this, then get back to me ".

I mean, I'll give you a sports example to be appropriate.

Say a 19 year old kid who I was never a teacher of is talking to me about Kobe Bryant being GOAT. I tell him about Jordan and all he tells me is he was on a loaded team and Kobe carries his team. I tell him that Kobe had Shaq and that he had good players in his second run of titles and that he hasn't dominated in every aspect as Jordan. I go on to tell this guy that Jordan was once a DPOY and that he was a better producer in the playoffs than regular season, etc. This kid then ignores all of this and keeps arguing for Kobe when he clearly knows very little about MJ.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok when the person thinks that any other professional sport is better than Football.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketchup


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 13916
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
x0x wrote:
But my point is that respect is earned and you don't earn my respect by being a blow hard.
It seems we are on the same page.


Yes, so why is my statement on not respecting teens and people in early 20s until they've impressed me ignorant?


I don't talk down to kids as a reflex, but when they're acting like they "know" and they don't have all the facts, I might be a tad " read this and go to this, then get back to me ".

I mean, I'll give you a sports example to be appropriate.

Say a 19 year old kid who I was never a teacher of is talking to me about Kobe Bryant being GOAT. I tell him about Jordan and all he tells me is he was on a loaded team and Kobe carries his team. I tell him that Kobe had Shaq and that he had good players in his second run of titles and that he hasn't dominated in every aspect as Jordan. I go on to tell this guy that Jordan was once a DPOY and that he was a better producer in the playoffs than regular season, etc. This kid then ignores all of this and keeps arguing for Kobe when he clearly knows very little about MJ.
Let's say they in fact do know all the facts but still have a difference of opinion. Would you be able to differentiate those two vastly different situations? Or would your instincts be to think he just doesn't know?
_________________

Kempes on the custom sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bohlmann20


Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 5138
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
x0x wrote:
But my point is that respect is earned and you don't earn my respect by being a blow hard.
It seems we are on the same page.


Yes, so why is my statement on not respecting teens and people in early 20s until they've impressed me ignorant?


I don't talk down to kids as a reflex, but when they're acting like they "know" and they don't have all the facts, I might be a tad " read this and go to this, then get back to me ".

I mean, I'll give you a sports example to be appropriate.


All in all, I think you care about age wayyy too much. I mean, in almost every other post of yours, you cite your age in some way.

Age doesn't really measure anything definitively.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IrishGreen


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 36510
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you're atop a ladder
_________________

El Ramster on the amazing work
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it okay to talk down to people? Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
x0x wrote:
But my point is that respect is earned and you don't earn my respect by being a blow hard.
It seems we are on the same page.


Yes, so why is my statement on not respecting teens and people in early 20s until they've impressed me ignorant?


I don't talk down to kids as a reflex, but when they're acting like they "know" and they don't have all the facts, I might be a tad " read this and go to this, then get back to me ".


So if a 16 year old says the same exact thing as a 30 year old, is it viewed differently. I've never really had to worry about this becuase I've impressed nearly every adult that I have talked to, but just because someone has different political views, it doesn't believe that I should be looked at as immature. I feel more in place when talking to adults than I sometimes do talking to people my own age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group