Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Fines week 5: Jets Slauson, Hawks Clemons, Cards Fitz
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41344
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: NFL Fines week 5: Jets Slauson, Hawks Clemons, Cards Fitz Reply with quote

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Jets OG Matt Slauson was fined $10,000 for his illegal block on #Texans LB Brian Cushing which ended his season.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256512649557311489



Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Titans Safety Michael Griffin was fined $21,000 for unnecessary roughness on #Vikings WR Michael Jenkins.


https://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/status/256120048928825344

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Packers LB Nick Perry was fined $15,000 for his hit on #Colts rookie QB Andrew Luck.


https://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/status/256119679658115072

***Update***

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Seahawks DE Chris Clemons was fined $15,750 for roughing the passer against #Panthers QB Cam Newton.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256859562773213184

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald was fined $7,875 for grabbing the facemask of #Rams CB Janoris Jenkins.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256859695514546176

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Rams DT Jermelle Cudjo was fined $7,875 for roughing the passer against #Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256859786166018048

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Chargers rookie LB Melvin Ingram was fined $15,750 for roughing against #Saints QB Drew Brees.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256860084968235009

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Rams DE Robert Quinn was fined $15,750 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on #Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256870846608584704

***Update***
Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Colts DL Corey Redding was fined $7,875 for unnecessary striking the helmet of #Packers RB Cedric Benson.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256897910875246592
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute


Last edited by Billy Spikes on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsman82


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 20044
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slauson deserved to be fined. IMO those knee shots are as dangerous as headshots. They should be treated with the same type of discrimination.

If they were really concerned about health, an not hot button topics, they'd adopt that QB hit box to all defenseless players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7708
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
Slauson deserved to be fined. IMO those knee shots are as dangerous as headshots. They should be treated with the same type of discrimination.

If they were really concerned about health, an not hot button topics, they'd adopt that QB hit box to all defenseless players.


If only...

The one that really bugs me is how ball carriers can grab a defender by the facemask and yank him to the ground, and the network will show 3 slo-mo replays. But if a defender grabs mask? Flags come out.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9182
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:
Slauson deserved to be fined. IMO those knee shots are as dangerous as headshots. They should be treated with the same type of discrimination.

If they were really concerned about health, an not hot button topics, they'd adopt that QB hit box to all defenseless players.


If only...

The one that really bugs me is how ball carriers can grab a defender by the facemask and yank him to the ground, and the network will show 3 slo-mo replays. But if a defender grabs mask? Flags come out.


thats actually illegal. they cant grip the face mask. they can only put there hands on the face masks. which isnt really dangerous.... grabbing the face mask and twisting it is dangerous...hence the rule.

but was the slauson play even illegal? i get it hurt someone and should be against the rules...but is it actually against the rules?
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pigsooie5


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 4198
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad to see Slausen get fined for that low blow
_________________

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mse326


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 16364
Location: mike23md on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:
Slauson deserved to be fined. IMO those knee shots are as dangerous as headshots. They should be treated with the same type of discrimination.

If they were really concerned about health, an not hot button topics, they'd adopt that QB hit box to all defenseless players.


If only...

The one that really bugs me is how ball carriers can grab a defender by the facemask and yank him to the ground, and the network will show 3 slo-mo replays. But if a defender grabs mask? Flags come out.


thats actually illegal. they cant grip the face mask. they can only put there hands on the face masks. which isnt really dangerous.... grabbing the face mask and twisting it is dangerous...hence the rule.

but was the slauson play even illegal? i get it hurt someone and should be against the rules...but is it actually against the rules?


Yes. Peel back block to the knee is illegal

EDIT: Maybe not. I read from our beat reporter who has been doing it for decades that it was a peel back but reading the rule I don't think it was becasue the rule requires the blocker me moving towards his own end line (Rule 12 Section 2 Article 4).

If there is another rule that applies I didn't see it. I also may be remembering the play wrong. I recall the blocker moving toward our end line.

Ultimately there is also the catchall unnecessary rougness that in theory has defined terms but is not limited to those terms. (The rule says "there shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include but is not limited to..." 12-2-6 in link above). It could be said this is unnecessary (the diving at the knee part).
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9182
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:
Slauson deserved to be fined. IMO those knee shots are as dangerous as headshots. They should be treated with the same type of discrimination.

If they were really concerned about health, an not hot button topics, they'd adopt that QB hit box to all defenseless players.


If only...

The one that really bugs me is how ball carriers can grab a defender by the facemask and yank him to the ground, and the network will show 3 slo-mo replays. But if a defender grabs mask? Flags come out.


thats actually illegal. they cant grip the face mask. they can only put there hands on the face masks. which isnt really dangerous.... grabbing the face mask and twisting it is dangerous...hence the rule.

but was the slauson play even illegal? i get it hurt someone and should be against the rules...but is it actually against the rules?


Yes. Peel back block to the knee is illegal

EDIT: Maybe not. I read from our beat reporter who has been doing it for decades that it was a peel back but reading the rule I don't think it was becasue the rule requires the blocker me moving towards his own end line (Rule 12 Section 2 Article 4).

If there is another rule that applies I didn't see it. I also may be remembering the play wrong. I recall the blocker moving toward our end line.

Ultimately there is also the catchall unnecessary rougness that in theory has defined terms but is not limited to those terms. (The rule says "there shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include but is not limited to..." 12-2-6 in link above). It could be said this is unnecessary (the diving at the knee part).


thats what i was thinking. i didnt think the play itself wasnt illegal.

and the unnecessary roughness would be a slippery slop. the runningback could ahve cut back just before that and had been stopped by cushing. and going for the lower body would be necessary because he already got past him.
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41344
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Seahawks DE Chris Clemons was fined $15,750 for roughing the passer against #Panthers QB Cam Newton.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256859562773213184

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald was fined $7,875 for grabbing the facemask of #Rams CB Janoris Jenkins.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256859695514546176

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Rams DT Jermelle Cudjo was fined $7,875 for roughing the passer against #Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256859786166018048

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Chargers rookie LB Melvin Ingram was fined $15,750 for roughing against #Saints QB Drew Brees.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256860084968235009
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El ramster


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 46116
Location: Paul George's Bed.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitz that would have been a pick 6 Laughing
_________________


mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41344
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Rams DE Robert Quinn was fined $15,750 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on #Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256870846608584704
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yrba1


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1367
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Fitz that would have been a pick 6 Laughing


He got away with a flag right there Evil or Very Mad
Shouldn't really matter though since we still beat them Laughing
_________________
♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tooki


Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 10744
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did Clemons get fined? It was a soft play, that was punished enough with a penalty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 13107
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Fitzgerald got fined???
_________________


"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41344
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Colts DL Corey Redding was fined $7,875 for unnecessary striking the helmet of #Packers RB Cedric Benson.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256897910875246592
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bluesfreak74


Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1738
Location: Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Larry Fitzgerald got fined???


Yeah. He grabbed Janoris Jenkin's face mask because he was about to pick it off and most likely have a pick six.
_________________


El Ramster on this beaut!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group