Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Troy rips the fans.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Hawksrealm...if Jimmy really wanted Walsh that badly, why did he trade him away early in the 1990 season? That was also a full year before Norv was brought on.

It also doesn't make sense why Troy would be so adamantly in a coach's corner who supposedly didn't want him or think he would ever succeed.

Des you are a Mod, and your History of the Cowboys is sadly lacking. How old are you?

22...and what is lacking? I'm curious.

The fact you didn't have a clue about Johnson and Aikman, to start with. I've been a fan since 1965, and I constantly have to see what people here write that isn't even remotely factual about the Cowboys. Especially that Plan 9 guy

What am I missing? What about my statement isn't factual? Laughing

^^^mack
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Hawksrealm...if Jimmy really wanted Walsh that badly, why did he trade him away early in the 1990 season? That was also a full year before Norv was brought on.

It also doesn't make sense why Troy would be so adamantly in a coach's corner who supposedly didn't want him or think he would ever succeed.

Des you are a Mod, and your History of the Cowboys is sadly lacking. How old are you?

The fact you didn't have a clue about Johnson and Aikman, to start with. I've been a fan since 1965, and I constantly have to see what people here write that isn't even remotely factual about the Cowboys. Especially that Plan 9 guy

How can you question Des' post when your historical account wasn't accurate in the first place?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
I constantly have to see what people here write that isn't even remotely factual about the Cowboys. Especially that Plan 9 guy

I like you. You should stick around.

But one suggestion, if I may, if you are going to tell someone they are wrong, explain why. Especially on historical stuff. We all love the cowboys (except a select few) and love to learn about them.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
I constantly have to see what people here write that isn't even remotely factual about the Cowboys. Especially that Plan 9 guy

But one suggestion, if I may, if you are going to tell someone they are wrong, explain why. Especially on historical stuff. We all love the cowboys (except a select few) and love to learn about them.

He also needs to back up his statements instead of posting conjecture, especially when posting like Jerry said this and Jimmy wanted that. Where's the evidence?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:

He also needs to back up his statements instead of posting conjecture, especially when posting like Jerry said this and Jimmy wanted that. Where's the evidence?

One should never question what old Fans know, buts thats okay let me school you....What was said in the past is often hard to find. But I went and got this for you from a Skip Bayless article written whe aTroy entered the hall of fame:

The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Aikman had all the prototype tools. But he didn't have Walsh's eye for speed reading defenses or Walsh's feel for finding second or third receiving options.

Johnson's first team, the equivalent of an expansion team, went 1-15 in '89. Walsh won the only game, beating the defending Super Bowl champs in Washington. When deer-in-oncoming-truck-lights Aikman did play, he took some of the worst beatings a quarterback ever lived to tell about.

The following season, Johnson had a plunger's chance to trade Walsh to New Orleans for a first-rounder, a second and a third. Johnson plunged.

That Sunday, Aikman played what surely was the worst game of his pro career, looking more lost than ever in a hopelessly humiliating loss to the Jets on the New York stage. Losing like that could send Johnson into truth-spewing rages -- and occasionally he would regret what he said to those closest to him.

But two nights after that Jets loss, Johnson was in a stormy mood when he bumped into several media members in the hallway outside his office. He basically told them that he had traded the wrong quarterback.

Johnson said: "Troy Aikman was a loser in college, and he'll always be a loser in the pros."

Did you Know Bobby Hayes real nickname was the Crow....Not the Bullet,
need to know something just ask me....Oh Danny White was not a loser
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...that's one quote though, from Skip Bayless no less...who from prior reading seems to have a grudge against Aikman. He still must have thought Aikman was good enough not to trade him and to so hastily trade Walsh away.

Relationships also can change over time. Who's to say that as the season went on Jimmy's perception of Troy didn't change? Maybe that's why he brought in Norv to develop Troy and put things together after that 1990 season? Maybe Jimmy saw something there that he knew could be turned into something great?

^^^mack
Hawksrealm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Ok...that's one quote though, from Skip Bayless no less...who from prior reading seems to have a grudge against Aikman. He still must have thought Aikman was good enough not to trade him and to so hastily trade Walsh away.

Relationships also can change over time. Who's to say that as the season went on Jimmy's perception of Troy didn't change? Maybe that's why he brought in Norv to develop Troy and put things together after that 1990 season? Maybe Jimmy saw something there that he knew could be turned into something great?

No acutally the quote was from Jimmy Johnson, Skip repeated it in his article. Jerry Jones drafted Troy because Schram told him to. Jerry Jones brought in Norv...Not Jimmy...you are not paying attention to what I'm writing. Des you know I like you, arn't you the Vet?

Oh by the way Jimmy got his way with Walsh...Jerry let him draft him in the suplimental draft
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

No acutally the quote was from Jimmy Johnson, Skip repeated it in his article. Jerry Jones drafted Troy because Schram told him to. Jerry Jones brought in Norv...Not Jimmy...you are not paying attention to what I'm writing. Des you know I like you, arn't you the Vet?

From that article that I'm sure you got your Johnson quote from...

Quote:
Johnson considered five or six other candidates before finally interviewing the Rams' receivers coach -- an unknown named Norvell Turner. Johnson told me: "I brought Troy in to meet Norv, and I could see they immediately hit it off."

Turner didn't take himself too seriously. Turner loved country music, Troy's passion. Turner could make Aikman laugh. And Turner could make him see just how great he could be, if he'd just trust himself and his new coordinator.

^^^mack
Hawksrealm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

From that article that I'm sure you got your Johnson quote from...

Quote:
Johnson considered five or six other candidates before finally interviewing the Rams' receivers coach -- an unknown named Norvell Turner. Johnson told me: "I brought Troy in to meet Norv, and I could see they immediately hit it off."

Turner didn't take himself too seriously. Turner loved country music, Troy's passion. Turner could make Aikman laugh. And Turner could make him see just how great he could be, if he'd just trust himself and his new coordinator.

I don't want to argue about who hired who, itsn't it always Jerry's fault when we draft a loser, do you think Jimmy ran the team, and after he left Jerry has always run the team? Seems kinda silly to me, I prove one point then you want me to prove another?

Do you think Jimmy fired Dave Shula and then hired Norv? I know I can find articles that say that, but I think Jerry had a lot to do with that move. I also know Jerry wanted an OC that got along with Troy.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:

One should never question what old Fans know, buts thats okay let me school you....What was said in the past is often hard to find. But I went and got this for you from a Skip Bayless article written whe aTroy entered the hall of fame:

The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Aikman had all the prototype tools. But he didn't have Walsh's eye for speed reading defenses or Walsh's feel for finding second or third receiving options.

Johnson's first team, the equivalent of an expansion team, went 1-15 in '89. Walsh won the only game, beating the defending Super Bowl champs in Washington. When deer-in-oncoming-truck-lights Aikman did play, he took some of the worst beatings a quarterback ever lived to tell about.

The following season, Johnson had a plunger's chance to trade Walsh to New Orleans for a first-rounder, a second and a third. Johnson plunged.

That Sunday, Aikman played what surely was the worst game of his pro career, looking more lost than ever in a hopelessly humiliating loss to the Jets on the New York stage. Losing like that could send Johnson into truth-spewing rages -- and occasionally he would regret what he said to those closest to him.

But two nights after that Jets loss, Johnson was in a stormy mood when he bumped into several media members in the hallway outside his office. He basically told them that he had traded the wrong quarterback.

Johnson said: "Troy Aikman was a loser in college, and he'll always be a loser in the pros."

It's interesting that you focus on Aikman's early career and ignore his entire career. As we all witnessed, Aikman ended up being a winner and one of the most accurate passers in NFL history and one of the most prolific playoff QBs of all-time. He and Jimmy Johnson ended up developing a very strong bond and respect for one another. Aikman's toughness sold Johnson on Aikman's long-term ability to lead the team, and he made the right choice in keeping Aikman and dealing Walsh.

I also remember the 1989 season quite well, and I remember celebrating the team's single win that year over the then-undefeated Washington Redskins. However, my age doesn't mean that my opinion is more valuable than others. It also doesn't mean that I am always right. We all make mistakes, and there's nothing wrong with that.

So, please, there's no need to act like you know everything because we've already pointed out problems and mistakes with your posts. And when that happens, people will correct you. If you have an opinion that people disagree with you on, they will challenge you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is all Jerry's fault (what isn't), he created a stadium with more than just football in mind. I would guess that when most NFL stadiums go through the process of creation it is done with only that one team in mind , then obviously you'll be hosting concerts and other sporting events afterwards but that shouldn't be something you focus on. Shouldn't let anything impact the stadiums design or build other than it's primary focus which is an NFL team. Jerry seemed to have built this stadium with other things on his mind... I can't think of specific things about Cowboys stadium itself that make it lack home field advantage, but I believe they exist. Also it doesn't help when you have the worst fanbase in the country... Of course I am an Eagles fan so I wouldn't put too much into that remark, but I do think if you were to "average" the cowboys fanbase you would have the worse fans in the NFL. I'm sure that the die hard cowboy fans are just as good as any other teams true diehard fans, but the cowboys also have to deal with the tremendous amount of "fake" fans. This is because they are a franchise that attracts fans from everywhere, and worst of all that means they are magnets to the worst kind of fans: phony fair weathered frontrunners. I bet that Cowboys stadium is filled with 1/2 real cowboy fans, 1/4 fakes, 1/4 people are there for the attraction that is cowboys stadium. Not coming here to bash the Cowboys but I do think that this fan base has been embarrassing recently, at least that's how they appear. I saw Troys comment and seeing a HOF Cowboy himself say that made me sure my opinions weren't just blind cowboys hate.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
Hawksrealm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:

It's interesting that you focus on Aikman's early career and ignore his entire career. As we all witnessed, Aikman ended up being a winner and one of the most accurate passers in NFL history and one of the most prolific playoff QBs of all-time. He and Jimmy Johnson ended up developing a very strong bond and respect for one another. Aikman's toughness sold Johnson on Aikman's long-term ability to lead the team, and he made the right choice in keeping Aikman and dealing Walsh.

I also remember the 1989 season quite well, and I remember celebrating the team's single win that year over the then-undefeated Washington Redskins. However, my age doesn't mean that my opinion is more valuable than others. It also doesn't mean that I am always right. We all make mistakes, and there's nothing wrong with that.

So, please, there's no need to act like you know everything because we've already pointed out problems and mistakes with your posts. And when that happens, people will correct you. If you have an opinion that people disagree with you on, they will challenge you.

First of all when Landry talked about getting Aikman, I thought there was no one better, still feel the same. Don't care much for him now but as a QB, he was my guy. Second you have never pointed out anything I was wrong about. I once made the mistake of telling you to mind your own business....and you banned me, I won't do that again. Very Happy Was your favorite singer Chubby Checker? Because you have a habbit of putting a twist to things I never said?
mco65

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway....
i do recall the Cowboys having a distinct Home field advantage in at least 2 games. The '93 NFC Championship game vs the Niners.. and a '96 MNF game vs the Packers.. in both of those games the crowd was LOUD.. in the '93 game there was a scuffle in the pre game that got the crowd into and the Cowboys punched the Niners in the face early and often..
In the '96 game WHITE towels were handed out at the gate before the game to create a 'white out' in the stadium.. the Cowboys controlled that game from the start shutting out the Packers until the final minutes..

Good times, but I have to admit.. very rare..
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
First of all when Landry talked about getting Aikman, I thought there was no one better, still feel the same. Don't care much for him now but as a QB, he was my guy. Second you have never pointed out anything I was wrong about. I once made the mistake of telling you to mind your own business....and you banned me, I won't do that again. Very Happy Was your favorite singer Chubby Checker? Because you have a habbit of putting a twist to things I never said?

You clearly don't read people's posts do you. If you go back to the previous page, you'll note that I corrected you on your claim that after the Boys went 1-15 in 1989 that Steve Walsh was then drafted the next year and Norv Turner came on board that year too. These were proven to be incorrect and, therefore, your account of Cowboys history was incorrect.

And I'm not twisting anything. Rather, you choose to ignore what people say and you have a habit of changing your opinion after someone has corrected you, spinning it to make it seem you were correct in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Hawksrealm wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

What am I missing? What about my statement isn't factual? Laughing

Lol wasn't I just told by a certain poster about a week ago that I shouldn't insult another because it makes people not want to post here? Now I am see comments taking shots at people's lack of knowledge due to their age, etc and so forth. Sounds like someone needs to take their own advice. Because just reading this hurts my feelings.......and my head again about how Johnson had little to do with the 90's dynasty. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hard to believe Aikman put up with him for nearly half a decade not to mention defending him to the media when the man had such disgust for him.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: