Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

what's the deal with Tony Dungy?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wolverine_Joe


Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Posts: 3114
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: what's the deal with Tony Dungy? Reply with quote

this man can't hide his hate.

another Pats bashing in the national TV, saying we are just an average .500 team. and he gave that 'i'm a good guy, and i'm right' look yet again. yes, we are very average at the moment, but man he just can't hide it. i bet watching us choke just made his day.

i used to have a mad respect for this guy, but man he really starts to p!ss me off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25296
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: what's the deal with Tony Dungy? Reply with quote

Wolverine_Joe wrote:
this man can't hide his hate.

another Pats bashing in the national TV, saying we are just an average .500 team. and he gave that 'i'm a good guy, and i'm right' look yet again. yes, we are very average at the moment, but man he just can't hide it. i bet watching us choke just made his day.

i used to have a mad respect for this guy, but man he really starts to p!ss me off.


I loathe Tony Dungy for a number of reasons but he's absolutely right.

The Patriots are an average .500 team.

Nothing controversial about that. I think we're past the point in the season where we can write off a loss as "bad luck" or "bad refs".

At this point it's blatantly obvious that there are a number of fatal and systemic flaws in both the execution and roster management (or coaching, depending on who you feel deserves the blame for the secondary). Even if they were 5-1 at this point (say Gostkowksi doesn't miss that FG and they pull off one of the Ravens/Seattle games in the last second) I would be similarly discouraged about the product on the field. Maybe a bit more optimistic with regards to the playoffs because 5-1 would have them situated nicely for a bye which is very important. But there are huge problems with this team which if they go unsolved are going to lead to the most disappointing year since 2002.

They're 3-3, the same record as the Jets, Bills and Dolphins. That's just nauseating at this point in the season, given the Pats schedule so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 9308
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Rab Rab for his op.... Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolverine_Joe


Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Posts: 3114
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: what's the deal with Tony Dungy? Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
this man can't hide his hate.

another Pats bashing in the national TV, saying we are just an average .500 team. and he gave that 'i'm a good guy, and i'm right' look yet again. yes, we are very average at the moment, but man he just can't hide it. i bet watching us choke just made his day.

i used to have a mad respect for this guy, but man he really starts to p!ss me off.


I loathe Tony Dungy for a number of reasons but he's absolutely right.

The Patriots are an average .500 team.

Nothing controversial about that. I think we're past the point in the season where we can write off a loss as "bad luck" or "bad refs".

At this point it's blatantly obvious that there are a number of fatal and systemic flaws in both the execution and roster management (or coaching, depending on who you feel deserves the blame for the secondary). Even if they were 5-1 at this point (say Gostkowksi doesn't miss that FG and they pull off one of the Ravens/Seattle games in the last second) I would be similarly discouraged about the product on the field. Maybe a bit more optimistic with regards to the playoffs because 5-1 would have them situated nicely for a bye which is very important. But there are huge problems with this team which if they go unsolved are going to lead to the most disappointing year since 2002.

They're 3-3, the same record as the Jets, Bills and Dolphins. That's just nauseating at this point in the season, given the Pats schedule so far.


it's ok to say pats are avg. we are friggin avg for sure. but the way he said it was just wrong. i mean you can see how he despises the Pats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25296
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what's the deal with Tony Dungy? Reply with quote

Wolverine_Joe wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
this man can't hide his hate.

another Pats bashing in the national TV, saying we are just an average .500 team. and he gave that 'i'm a good guy, and i'm right' look yet again. yes, we are very average at the moment, but man he just can't hide it. i bet watching us choke just made his day.

i used to have a mad respect for this guy, but man he really starts to p!ss me off.


I loathe Tony Dungy for a number of reasons but he's absolutely right.

The Patriots are an average .500 team.

Nothing controversial about that. I think we're past the point in the season where we can write off a loss as "bad luck" or "bad refs".

At this point it's blatantly obvious that there are a number of fatal and systemic flaws in both the execution and roster management (or coaching, depending on who you feel deserves the blame for the secondary). Even if they were 5-1 at this point (say Gostkowksi doesn't miss that FG and they pull off one of the Ravens/Seattle games in the last second) I would be similarly discouraged about the product on the field. Maybe a bit more optimistic with regards to the playoffs because 5-1 would have them situated nicely for a bye which is very important. But there are huge problems with this team which if they go unsolved are going to lead to the most disappointing year since 2002.

They're 3-3, the same record as the Jets, Bills and Dolphins. That's just nauseating at this point in the season, given the Pats schedule so far.


it's ok to say pats are avg. we are friggin avg for sure. but the way he said it was just wrong. i mean you can see how he despises the Pats.


Yeah, it's weird. He got the last laugh by beating the Pats in the 2006 AFCCG (which ended the era of the Patriots being clutch or "winners" in that sense and ushered in the half decade+ of epic chokes). I'd guess maybe it's a personal grudge with Belichick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 22782
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think Seattle deserves SOME credit. They did have the leagues #1 defense. We havent really lost to any bad teams, and all the losses have been last minute. We clearly have flaws, but we are also clearly an above average team, regardless if we are .500 atm.
_________________
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15860
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshall Faulk effect?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rabbisson


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 28841
Location: Stam#PoWwW
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



Also, I disagree with mcmurtry. The Patriots definitely aren't as good as they have been in the past, but they are slightly better than average IMO. Any time you lose three games by a total of four points, especially when one of them was the result of awful officiating, I think you've proven to be better than average.

This team still reminds me a bit of the 2010 Green Bay Packers. Let's hope that we can continue improving.
_________________

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 49305
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got self-righteousness down to a science. I guess that's one of the perks of having been a do-nothing coach. You get to quietly walk away without making a single controversial move and then criticize more active coaches who are clearly your betters from your comfy perch in the analysts' booth whenever they make a move that doesn't pay off.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
Status: Emergent
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 49305
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:


Also, I disagree with mcmurtry. The Patriots definitely aren't as good as they have been in the past, but they are slightly better than average IMO. Any time you lose three games by a total of four points, especially when one of them was the result of awful officiating, I think you've proven to be better than average.

This team still reminds me a bit of the 2010 Green Bay Packers. Let's hope that we can continue improving.
that Packers team had Charles Woodson and Nick Collins in its secondary.That's the critical difference.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
Status: Emergent
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 11197
Location: Deadpulse on the Sig
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
rabbisson wrote:


Also, I disagree with mcmurtry. The Patriots definitely aren't as good as they have been in the past, but they are slightly better than average IMO. Any time you lose three games by a total of four points, especially when one of them was the result of awful officiating, I think you've proven to be better than average.

This team still reminds me a bit of the 2010 Green Bay Packers. Let's hope that we can continue improving.
that Packers team had Charles Woodson and Nick Collins in its secondary.That's the critical difference.


and en ever improving Tramon Williams...

Damnit, I really want a competent player in our Secondary.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
terbo559


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 3219
Location: California
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong about Dungy's comment. We probably have the best offense, but poor defense and lack of consistency makes the team just average. Our record shows it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25296
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
Any time you lose three games by a total of four points, especially when one of them was the result of awful officiating, I think you've proven to be better than average.


People like saying this "lose three games by a total of four points" but losses are losses. These losses are coming in situations where the Pats have the lead late in the game (or in the Arizona case, have the ability to win).

Given how many games this team has choked away (7 games lost since 2009 where they had the lead with 5 or fewer minutes), I wouldn't be so cavalier about dismissing these losses. It's not like they're dropping the occasional back and forth shootout to the early-mid 2000's Colts. These are games where the team's fundamental and IMO fatal flaws are popping up and it's been such a recurring theme that simply passing it off as "well they could have easily won those games" is silly.

Of course they could have won those games. But their recent history, dating back to SB42 is almost entirely filled with games they could have or should have won (excluding the 2008 non-Brady season). That is who this team is. And I don't see any reason to think it will stop being the case.

This is a team that isn't going to get blown out often when healthy. Maybe a team like Houston or Green Bay could (not necessarily would) but that's the exception. So most of their losses are going to be close and this team's incompetence in the 4th quarter isn't something that should be glossed over.

Honestly, I'd (in a way) feel better if this team was losing by more points or because of a different problem. That it's been the same problem plaguing this team for years tells me that the coaching staff doesn't know how to fix it and/or the current personnel simply isn't able to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Troy Brown


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 24538
Location: Newport, Rhode Island
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with McMurtry a thousand percent. How confident does anyone feel at the end of games anymore? It's awful.
_________________
MAYBE YOUR BEST COURSE WOULD BE TO TREAD LIGHTLY

ELRammy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 11197
Location: Deadpulse on the Sig
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
I agree with McMurtry a thousand percent. How confident does anyone feel at the end of games anymore? It's awful.


I didn't even feel confident with a 21 point margin vs Denver. We only won that game because MacGahee forgot how to play the position of RB.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group