Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

J.J. Watt loses Sack Lead...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: J.J. Watt loses Sack Lead... Reply with quote

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/JJ-Watt-loses-a-sack-no-longer-leads-league/f6eebc27-d961-4978-9daf-f1473fbe4efd

Not really big news but this does kind of [inappropriate/removed] me off that the ESB went back an entire 4 weeks to make this designation... I've seen several plays in which I felt Polamalu should have been credited a Sack instead of a TFL but because the QB was out of the pocket he got the TFL... He'll never reach the 20/20 club as a result. Sometimes I wonder about those guys at the ESB... Seriously, the Dolphins have designed runs for Tannehill? Me no think so.

#FireTomlin #FireHaley #FireLeBeau #FireColbert
BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: J.J. Watt loses Sack Lead... Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/JJ-Watt-loses-a-sack-no-longer-leads-league/f6eebc27-d961-4978-9daf-f1473fbe4efd

Not really big news but this does kind of [inappropriate/removed] me off that the ESB went back an entire 4 weeks to make this designation... I've seen several plays in which I felt Polamalu should have been credited a Sack instead of a TFL but because the QB was out of the pocket he got the TFL... He'll never reach the 20/20 club as a result. Sometimes I wonder about those guys at the ESB... Seriously, the Dolphins have designed runs for Tannehill? Me no think so.

Well if you watch the video, it was clearly a designed handoff to the RB but Tannehil got stepped on. Doesn't really bother me, the fact he gets credited for a sack in the first place is kind of a joke but it does seem silly to go back like this and change the stats. But hey, if they do it consistently then good for them.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Allen should have broke the sack record last year too.

Aaron Rodgers fumbled the ball on a designed pass, he rolled out to the left while reading the coverage and fumbled. he picked it up and Allen jumped on top of Rodgers, and he was the only defender in the area. Instead of giving Allen the sack, it was designated a "team" sack. What kind of crap is that.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, its silly.

Personally I think anytime a QB is tackled in the pocket behind the LOS it should be a sack, period.

Nacho Simulation Football League
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I agree, its silly.

Personally I think anytime a QB is tackled in the pocket behind the LOS it should be a sack, period.

Agreed.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
I agree, its silly.

Agreed.

I think anytime a QB is tackled behind the Los it should be a sack provided there are receivers Downfield and lineman blocking (not downfield) - what are the actual rules to determine the difference?
SWATcha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
I agree, its silly.

Agreed.

I think anytime a QB is tackled behind the Los it should be a sack provided there are receivers Downfield and lineman blocking (not downfield) - what are the actual rules to determine the difference?

Agreed. I think if the QB is behind the LoS, whether he's in the pocket or not, it should be a sack.

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an obvious running play, I'm surprised that it was credited as a sack to begin with. When a quarterback goes to hand the ball off out of the I-formation and trips on a lineman's feet, and the defensive end two-hand touches you on the ground, that's not a sack.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
It was an obvious running play, I'm surprised that it was credited as a sack to begin with. When a quarterback goes to hand the ball off out of the I-formation and trips on a lineman's feet, and the defensive end two-hand touches you on the ground, that's not a sack.

so you know for 100% fact it was not a PA pass? Doubt it.....
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I agree, its silly.

Agreed, kind of thought it was the rule anyways Confused

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really bother me at all.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: J.J. Watt loses Sack Lead... Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:

Well if you watch the video, it was clearly a designed handoff to the RB but Tannehil got stepped on. Doesn't really bother me, the fact he gets credited for a sack in the first place is kind of a joke but it does seem silly to go back like this and change the stats. But hey, if they do it consistently then good for them.

That's what I see as the important point, unfortunately it seems that everything is done at the whims of the person responsible.

^ Jamison on the sig.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
NateDawg wrote:

Look at the linemen and the receivers. Pretty sure receivers can't block downfield on a PA. The one receiver runs about 4 yards and then starts engaging his man in a block...
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
NateDawg wrote:

Watch the play for yourself: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000079268/article/jj-watt-loses-nfls-sack-lead-on-statistical-correction

Both receivers and all of the linemen were blocking on the play. Hartline and Bess really don't even look like they are running routes, and they started blocking without even looking back and realizing that their quarterback was on the ground.

Besides, it doesn't matter what I think, because I don't make the stats. If the statkeepers judge that the play is a designed running play, it's not a sack. Likewise, if a quarterback runs a quarterback sweep and gets tackled behind the line of scrimmage, that's not a sack. The stat-trackers are the ones who judge if a play is a designed run or pass. Here, they thought it was a designed run, to it's not a sack. It's really pretty simple.
cp0k2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
NateDawg wrote:

Well if you watch the video of the play, it looks like it's supposed to be a hand off all the way since the WRs are blocking and not running routes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: