Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jake Long
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
codybill69

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Jake Long Reply with quote

How do you feel about signing Jake Long and moving Smith back to RT next yr?
thesickness89

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2nd favorite Wolverine Evar.

#FIREHOKE2014
JWingate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jake Long Reply with quote

codybill69 wrote:
How do you feel about signing Jake Long and moving Smith back to RT next yr?

Jake Long will not leave Miami. If we did sign him thought I would actually make Long our RT.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably pee my pants and squeal like a girl

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks.

1. Not worth the money he will command.

2. He is not as good as the media and name suggests.

3. That would force Free to move inside.

4. It will screw with Smiths development. Last year he made the jump from CFB to NFL. This year we asked him to switch sides. Next year you want him to switch sides again? OLine requires growth and continuity.

5. Remember we are still strung up for 5M next year as well.

6. I actually like Smith's potential, and I would rather him be given time to develop rather than sedate fans irrational sense of wanting instant gratification.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
No thanks.

4. It will screw with Smiths development. Last year he made the jump from CFB to NFL. This year we asked him to switch sides. Next year you want him to switch sides again? OLine requires growth and continuity.

6. I actually like Smith's potential, and I would rather him be given time to develop rather than sedate fans irrational sense of wanting instant gratification.

Do I think it has a snowballs chance in hell of happening? No. It's strictly wishful thinking.

However, to play devils advocate...

1. Romo would disagree. The OL is due for a serious investment after going without.

2. He's better than anything we've got and it would be nice to have bookends who hold their own one on one.

3. I don't see the problem yet. Free is better suited at guard in my opinion. A move inside would seriously upgrade the guard position.

4. Not at all. Smith is very comfortable at RT. Smith wouldn't be too far away from being an elite RT.

5. True. But, apparently, we can roll over the $5m that we are under the cap this year to next year. Thus, it balances out. And with the new tv deals, the cap is only going to grow over the next 10 years.

6. Why not have 2 great tackles while the team could be really close to competing at high level. Everybody seems to recognize the window with the current group of vets is closing. Why not give them the chance to make some cowboys history of their own? If a team is only a few pieces away from competing, what's wrong with instant gratification?

Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman, I also have the misfortune of having to suffer watching the Dolphins each and every week. Long is not as good as advertised. And what he will command would be a grossly disgusting figure based on the results he will yield. It's bad management. So while it is worth investing assets into the OL, it is not worth drunkenly throwing money at a picture of a Ferrari and realizing you get a Honda.

You gotta allocate the resources correctly. Long is one step forward and two steps back, IMO.

EDIT: I should note - I am not bashing Long in the sense of saying he sucks. What I am saying is that he does not meet the hype that surrounds him and as a result is not worth the price tag it will cost to get him.

In Redball I Trust!

Last edited by Texas_OutLaw7 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
JWingate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
No thanks.

Do I think it has a snowballs chance in hell of happening? No. It's strictly wishful thinking.

However, to play devils advocate...

1. Romo would disagree. The OL is due for a serious investment after going without.

2. He's better than anything we've got and it would be nice to have bookends who hold their own one on one.

3. I don't see the problem yet. Free is better suited at guard in my opinion. A move inside would seriously upgrade the guard position.

4. Not at all. Smith is very comfortable at RT. Smith wouldn't be too far away from being an elite RT.

5. True. But, apparently, we can roll over the $5m that we are under the cap this year to next year. Thus, it balances out. And with the new tv deals, the cap is only going to grow over the next 10 years.

6. Why not have 2 great tackles while the team could be really close to competing at high level. Everybody seems to recognize the window with the current group of vets is closing. Why not give them the chance to make some cowboys history of their own? If a team is only a few pieces away from competing, what's wrong with instant gratification?

I believe that Tyron Smith has more potential at LT than Jake Long ever will be at LT. That is why if I was to sign him it would be to play RT because Long is better suited for RT anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman, I also have the misfortune of having to suffer watching the Dolphins each and every week. Long is not as good as advertised. And what he will command would be a grossly disgusting figure based on the results he will yield. It's bad management. So while it is worth investing assets into the OL, it is not worth drunkenly throwing money at a picture of a Ferrari and realizing you get a Honda.

You gotta allocate the resources correctly. Long is one step forward and two steps back, IMO.

EDIT: I should note - I am not bashing Long in the sense of saying he sucks. What I am saying is that he does not meet the hype that surrounds him and as a result is not worth the price tag it will cost to get him.

Well since this is hypothetical, lets say that we signed him to a front loaded contract and released him in 3 years after we are through with Romo. Would you do it then? It would allow us to grow our OL for the future as well.

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:

Well since this is hypothetical, lets say that we signed him to a front loaded contract and released him in 3 years after we are through with Romo. Would you do it then? It would allow us to grow our OL for the future as well.

Not really, no. Even if he were to agree to a deal like that - which I don't think he would since I feel like he is going to command Highest-Ever-Tackle money, I view it more as a band aide rather than addressing the real issue. Honestly my sentiments stem from the fact I simply don't like Long. Putting him at RT would intrigue me. But then it's cost vs value. I do think Long can do a much better job at RT. But it would essentially forfeit any other moves we would make because of this. I just don't see it yielding a high return.

In Redball I Trust!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go ahead and add another comment here... I'm strongly leaning toward the front office giving up hope on drafting OL and only signing FAs to play on the OL. Is that typically the best way to build a football team? No. But, as has been demonstrated fairly conclusively over the years is that the front office cannot be trusted to recognize college talent at any of the OL positions. And, by the time a young offensive lineman is ready to contribute, his rookie contract is up and he needs to be re-signed to a bigger contract anyway. The point is... Why not have other teams invest their time and resources into developing young offensive linemen (something the cowboys are not good at anyways) and then sniper them when their rookie contract expire?

Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
I'll go ahead and add another comment here... I'm strongly leaning toward the front office giving up hope on drafting OL and only signing FAs to play on the OL. Is that typically the best way to build a football team? No. But, as has been demonstrated fairly conclusively over the years is that the front office cannot be trusted to recognize college talent at any of the OL positions. And, by the time a young offensive lineman is ready to contribute, his rookie contract is up and he needs to be re-signed to a bigger contract anyway. The point is... Why not have other teams invest their time and resources into developing young offensive linemen (something the cowboys are not good at anyways) and then sniper them when their rookie contract expire?

And I would have no issue with it if I actually liked Long. Laughing

Also, understand my frame of mind. I am still kicking over rocks on the whole, 'new breed of OL needed' mentality. And I feel that Long lacks the lateral quickness to be truly effective going forward.

In Redball I Trust!
be WARE94

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please no......jake long isn't a jason peters game changing type tackle.....just no.....we have many more needs......i really want to stick to building through the draft
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be WARE94 wrote:
please no......jake long isn't a jason peters game changing type tackle.....just no.....we have many more needs......i really want to stick to building through the draft

We don't need a game changing OT, per se. We just need a guy who can hold his own well enough, not continually make mistakes, and be relatively penalty free. Long has been that for most of his career. Has he been a world beater? Not by any means, no. But, he's a heck of a lot better than what we currently have. So if we could get him for a reasonable price, I wouldn't be against it.

And I completely understand where T_O7 is coming from. No team wants to place itself in a position where it gives a player a contract which greatly exceeds the value of his performance on the field.

So T_O7, if (and it's huge "if") we could sign Long for a reasonable price (which I agree is highly unlikely), would you still be against bringing him in? If so, why?

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in the land of make believe Long decided he didn't want the highest paid contract ever - that he adored the Star so much - that he doesn't take a contract for the highest ever, or top 3 or top 5.

If he accepts he may or may not be our LT.

Then sure. He has value as a player.

I just don't think he is as good as many think he is - nor does he warrant the amount he will receive. You remove expectations and price tag and game on.

In Redball I Trust!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: