Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Lions Salary Cap (updated 1/23/13)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tytalton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KVB would be the toughest decision out of that group....I'd like to keep him but man - 9 mil is tough
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:

I think re-signing Houston and Delmas will probably be the top priority.

This has to happen IMO. If not, our secondary would go downhill reeeaally fast. I would expect the Franchise Tag to be used on one of them to be honest (probably Houston).
iLovetheLions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
There's several vets I can see gone:

Peterman
Burleson
KVB
Durant
C Williams

I think re-signing Houston and Delmas will probably be the top priority. Would expect Stafford and/or Suh's deal to be extended to lessen this years cap hit.

i be more on board to extend stafford, but hes not really going to be extended for less money so the cap would basically be neutral, the problem with Suh is hes not a 20 million a year player, and since he currently makes that when it comes time to resign him it going to be tough to be like well i know you make 20 now but how bout you take 10-12 cause thats what your worth

Sllim Pickens wrote:
There should be a thread for UM fans and GB fans to sit and talk about how amazing their teams are with each other.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost $10,000,000 for Backus/Raiola next year? I truly hope neither is back. Burleson and Vanden Bosch might be gone as well.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximillion wrote:
We can get rid of burleson, one of raiola or peterman, corey and kvb and we are in good shape. We have to go secondary in the draft , i believe. I dont know why you would want Gholston, he has 1 sack in 8 games this year. He has no burst what so ever

You could be right. I haven't been able to watch much college ball outside of my team this year, but I was highly impressed with him last year. Not quite draft research time for me yet, I guess. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnel changes this offseason are going to be hugely dependent on how the rest of the season plays out, win-wise. This has been a very frustrating and strange year with a lot of fluke losses (IMO), but if the Lions end up with a losing record I expect that you'll see more cuts than if they end up .500 or above. If they're in the playoff hunt, you might see more along the lines of simply tweaking the starters in the offseason, whereas if they have higher picks, I could see them cutting some of the more expensive players.

I know everyone wants Raiola to be gone, but it's not going to happen - the Lions' brass has had going on 10 years to get rid of him and he's still here. It's also important that you don't underrate how important consistency is to the offensive line - especially when you have a guy like Raiola whose understanding of the game plays a huge role in how solid of a pass-blocking unit they've been the past few years with their mediocre (perhaps overpaid?) line talent. If the Lions didn't like him he wouldn't still be here.

Sadly, I think the same can be said about KVB and Burleson; they provide veteran leadership and again, if the Lions are a playoff team or close, the brass is going to bring them back. KVB is obviously much more iffy because his contract is SO extreme, but if the team feels it can make good with the guys they have, they might continue to overpay for that veteran experience and the attitude those guys bring.

Actually, I think the guy they're most likely to part with is Backus because they have Reiff behind him, but that's only if they don't bring back Gosder. Who would you rather have next year - Backus/Reiff or Reiff/Cherilus? That's a tough call, actually.

So in some ways, I think the best thing that can happen to the Lions (in the long run) at this point is for them to continue on the losing end of this insane season. They're good, but they're not good enough to go much farther than past the first round of the playoffs, even if they get in. If they finish something like 5-11, I think Mayhew is more likely to dump KVB and Burleson and make more wholesale changes.

But the crazy thing about this season is that the Lions aren't losing because of a lack of talent or even a lack of offensive/defensive coaching. You can clearly point to very specific "strange bounces" type of events as the reasons for their losses. If Bell doesn't bash the football on Urlacher's head and/or Logan doesn't try to catch the punt with his shoulder, the Lions beat Chicago in Chicago (or at least go to overtime again). They win that, and if you take away the four return touchdowns to Tennessee and Minnesota, then the Lions are 4-1 right now. Their defense is playing above their heads. Their offense is sputtering, but that's not Linehan's fault - he can't make Stafford stop throwing the ball over receivers' heads and/or make the receivers catch the balls he puts in their palms. The game plans are there, but the execution is way off. This team is playoff-capable, but a poor record because of these crazy bounces may mask the good play and result in a very different team next year.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDray,

Lions also have Bill Nagy under contract next year.

Also, I'm a Spartan and have watched Gholston's play and lack of development over the last several years. Wouldn't draft him!
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be unfathomable for the Lions to cut Suh next year? He is such a burden on our cap number. I don't think we could trade him at that price either.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
Would it be unfathomable for the Lions to cut Suh next year? He is such a burden on our cap number. I don't think we could trade him at that price either.

Considering it would be only 6 million savings on the cap hit for 2013, there's no way in hell, and that's putting it lightly. That and he's a hell of a football player.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
Wat

R.I.P. Stylish
qball8001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this [inappropriate/removed] gets my heart racing, god I love the Lions.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:

There's no way they'd cut him unless he gets some catastrophic injury, or he goes out and does something extremely illegal with long term consequences.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for the mockers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a masterpiece DrRay Applause

The fact that the Lions have merely $1.5M tied up into our ENTIRE secondary going into the off-season, speaks volumes of Mayhew's negligence in building a complete team.

It's his lust for WR's and RB's that has led us to this point.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
The fact that the Lions have merely $1.5M tied up into our ENTIRE secondary going into the off-season, speaks volumes of Mayhew's negligence in building a complete team.

It's his lust for WR's and RB's that has led us to this point.

Mayhew has invested a 2nd round pick, two 3rd round picks, a 5th round pick, a 6th round pick, and acquired Houston and Alphonso Smith via trade since becoming the GM. The secondary wasn't ignored.

Thank goodness Mayhew understands injuries and the importance of drafting BPA: his moves have made us a competitive football team.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: