Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans TE Jared Cook asks to be traded
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the Seahawks would pull the trigger on this. I'd give up a 3rd if that's what it took (as long as a contract extension came with it). Cook is one of the few great athletes in the league at the TE position and would rarely come off the field in Bevell's 2 TE offense. We've been using Moore as an inline TE, a slot receiver, and even an outside mismatch receiver. Cook would be perfect.
Tooki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook would also be perfect for Russell Wilson (a nice tall target).
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time TD made his move for our future TE now. 3rd round pick this year 5th round pick next year for Cook. I would love to see 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB sets of White, Julio, Gonzo, Cook, and Quizz on the field at the same time.

Gonzo is gone next year i think and Cook is a guy who is actually more talented than any TE in the draft this year to me and can be had for a better value.
adam9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FalconFan13 wrote:
It's time TD made his move for our future TE now. 3rd round pick this year 5th round pick next year for Cook. I would love to see 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB sets of White, Julio, Gonzo, Cook, and Quizz on the field at the same time.

Gonzo is gone next year i think and Cook is a guy who is actually more talented than any TE in the draft this year to me and can be had for a better value.

I said something similar to the first paragraph in the Falcons forum. Don't think Thomas makes this happen though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julio, Roddy, and Cook would be scary.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Heck...Julio, Roddy and Gonzo are scary enough.

I do wonder, however - would Cook want to stick around in Atlanta? Seems like his main gripe is that he's not getting on the field RIGHT NOW. You can't bench Gonzo when he's in the midst of one of his best seasons as a pro, so if Cook would be in Atlanta, how would his gripe be satisfied? He'd still be on the bench over there, and he'd have to commit to years in Atlanta before getting his start over there. He'd just as easily walk away from Atlanta in his FA season.

I don't see it happening and having a happy ending, to be honest. If Cook was traded to Atlanta, he'd be nearly as upset as he is now (yeah, he's on a winner with the Falcons, but what else changes? Not like he's going to steal snaps from Gonzo, with the season he's having).

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
adam9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Heck...Julio, Roddy and Gonzo are scary enough.

I do wonder, however - would Cook want to stick around in Atlanta? Seems like his main gripe is that he's not getting on the field RIGHT NOW. You can't bench Gonzo when he's in the midst of one of his best seasons as a pro, so if Cook would be in Atlanta, how would his gripe be satisfied? He'd still be on the bench over there, and he'd have to commit to years in Atlanta before getting his start over there. He'd just as easily walk away from Atlanta in his FA season.

I don't see it happening and having a happy ending, to be honest. If Cook was traded to Atlanta, he'd be nearly as upset as he is now (yeah, he's on a winner with the Falcons, but what else changes? Not like he's going to steal snaps from Gonzo, with the season he's having).

If we used two TE sets more we could get him some serious playing time. Our #3 WR Harry Douglas is dinged up right now and Matty Ice loves targeting TEs. He throws to whose open no matter who. One game we had some injuries to our back up TEs and we used backup C Joe Hawley as a blocking TE and as the play broke down he just ran a yard or two down field. That game Matt targeted him 2-3 times in his less than 10 snaps because he was open. Needless to say Hawley still has 0 career NFL receptions (he dropped them all).

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
If we used two TE sets more we could get him some serious playing time. Our #3 WR Harry Douglas is dinged up right now and Matty Ice loves targeting TEs.

Can you say greater than 50% of your offensive snaps? Looks like Cook is looking for that sort of time. If you can, this holds merit. If not...well...

Quote:
He throws to whose open no matter who. One game we had some injuries to our back up TEs and we used backup C Joe Hawley as a blocking TE and as the play broke down he just ran a yard or two down field. That game Matt targeted him 2-3 times in his less than 10 snaps because he was open. Needless to say Hawley still has 0 career NFL receptions (he dropped them all).

Here's one thing worthy of note; Looks like you use your #2 TE as a blocker more than anything, correct? If there is a weakness to Cook's game, it's that he's a below average blocker...as others have said, he's less of a TE and more of an oversized WR in that respect. Guy does his best work when he's running plays within a route tree, and not just blocking and releasing when a play breaks down, as you outlined above.

Think like how New England uses their two TEs. Rob Gronkowski is a "traditional" TE, someone who is asked to block, release, run routes, get open, etc. Aaron Hernandez, however? Much like Cook, he's an oversized WR - and New England has tailored their offense to that, lining up Hernandez like a slot WR, tight to the line like a stand up TE, offset in the backfield, etc...same with how the Texans use TE Owen Daniels and TE/FB James Casey. Daniels plays the traditional TE, Casey is moved around all over the place (and also takes on the role of lead blocker in the run game as well).

If you can really say your offense utilizes a TE in that respect, then this could very well be a fit. Anyone who has an offense like that Pats or Texans would be an IDEAL landing spot for Cook. (Had Hernandez's ankle injury been worse than expected, I could very well see New England being an interested bidder, actually). This isn't an offense you draw up after you make a trade, it's something you need to have in place prior to the trade. To be honest, Jared Cook is less of a traditional TE, more of an H-Back type. If you have a section of your offense that has that in place and you rely on it heavily, the trade makes sense. If your offense is heavy three wide, or traditional pro-set style, it might not work as well as you'd like.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as he isn't traded to Green Bay i'll be happy.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
The Third Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He would fit perfectly in the Patriots offense. Razz

*Actual time may vary.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third Rider wrote:
He would fit perfectly in the Patriots offense. Razz

Acquire all the tight ends!
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes not getting traded....

CalhounLambeau on the sig!

Adopt-A-Titan:
-Nate "The Great" Washington
Rec: 12 Yds: 160 TD: 0
-Ryan Succop
FG: 9/11 Long: 47
adam9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
If we used two TE sets more we could get him some serious playing time. Our #3 WR Harry Douglas is dinged up right now and Matty Ice loves targeting TEs.

Can you say greater than 50% of your offensive snaps? Looks like Cook is looking for that sort of time. If you can, this holds merit. If not...well...

Quote:
He throws to whose open no matter who. One game we had some injuries to our back up TEs and we used backup C Joe Hawley as a blocking TE and as the play broke down he just ran a yard or two down field. That game Matt targeted him 2-3 times in his less than 10 snaps because he was open. Needless to say Hawley still has 0 career NFL receptions (he dropped them all).

Here's one thing worthy of note; Looks like you use your #2 TE as a blocker more than anything, correct? If there is a weakness to Cook's game, it's that he's a below average blocker...as others have said, he's less of a TE and more of an oversized WR in that respect. Guy does his best work when he's running plays within a route tree, and not just blocking and releasing when a play breaks down, as you outlined above.

Think like how New England uses their two TEs. Rob Gronkowski is a "traditional" TE, someone who is asked to block, release, run routes, get open, etc. Aaron Hernandez, however? Much like Cook, he's an oversized WR - and New England has tailored their offense to that, lining up Hernandez like a slot WR, tight to the line like a stand up TE, offset in the backfield, etc...same with how the Texans use TE Owen Daniels and TE/FB James Casey. Daniels plays the traditional TE, Casey is moved around all over the place (and also takes on the role of lead blocker in the run game as well).

If you can really say your offense utilizes a TE in that respect, then this could very well be a fit. Anyone who has an offense like that Pats or Texans would be an IDEAL landing spot for Cook. (Had Hernandez's ankle injury been worse than expected, I could very well see New England being an interested bidder, actually). This isn't an offense you draw up after you make a trade, it's something you need to have in place prior to the trade. To be honest, Jared Cook is less of a traditional TE, more of an H-Back type. If you have a section of your offense that has that in place and you rely on it heavily, the trade makes sense. If your offense is heavy three wide, or traditional pro-set style, it might not work as well as you'd like.

He could definitely fit scheme wise in our offense but I'm not sure we could get him on the field enough to make him happy. I'm not sure though, the one thing we can offer is the opportunity for him to get the first shot at heiring Tony's throne. The thing is the way Tony is playing he is statistically still a top TE in the league, which might cause him to rethink staying.

I think why we ultimately don't get him is because we won't go after him though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't know how much sense it would make given the direction of the team, I would love to see Cook in a Jets uniform. He and Dustin Keller would form a great TE duo.
SUG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he would be "the guy" for Tanneyhil in our West Coast Offense, no question.
I'm not complaining about Fasano's versatility at all but it's clear he is slow as molasses.

This West Coast Off is new to Mia & some of us do appreciate the value that is a Playmaker at the TE position.
Every good WC Off has "that guy" featured.

sug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: