Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars trade WR Mike Thomas to the Lions for 5th round pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Frank-O wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
Even if we give you the fact that he hasn't been hot b/c of QB play- you are saying that he quit on the team and that is OK b/c that team sucks.

You seriously think that going to THE DETROIT LIONS is going to help with this attitude? Gimme a break. You can't homer out of this one.

No need to homer out of it. Detroit is easily better team. He will have studs around d him on offense he has never had.

A stud

Calvin Johnson.

Stafford is the best QB he will ever have had. Garrard ceiling is Staffords floor in talent

Come on now...this is a little silly, don't you think?

Stafford is certainly a better QB at this point, but let's not pretend Matt is an elite QB or that Blaines is the worst ever with no hope of improvement.

Because ya know...Garrard and Gabbert are the same people.
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
Not even close to worse than Logan.
I posted this earlier. I guess I'll post it again.

Thomas is 38th in the league in league in punt return average (7.0), whereas Logan is 20th (9.2). And Thomas doesn't return kicks.

That's certainly at least statistically worse.

Sometimes its not all about statistics. I've manage to catch a couple Lions games in the last couple weeks and Logan literally has a fumble in each one. He had multiple fumbles against the Bears and almost lost his fumble against the Eagles when they played.

So I would guess the Lions are more than willing to have a 2 yards less per return rather than be guaranteed a fumble per game like what Logan was giving them.
He has three fumbles this year and has lost 1. That's hardly a fumble every game.

I would like you to watch the Seattle vs Detroit game. Then come back in here and tell me how good Logan is.
iPwn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
iPwn wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

Thomas is 38th in the league in league in punt return average (7.0), whereas Logan is 20th (9.2). And Thomas doesn't return kicks.

Sometimes its not all about statistics. I've manage to catch a couple Lions games in the last couple weeks and Logan literally has a fumble in each one. He had multiple fumbles against the Bears and almost lost his fumble against the Eagles when they played.

So I would guess the Lions are more than willing to have a 2 yards less per return rather than be guaranteed a fumble per game like what Logan was giving them.
He has three fumbles this year and has lost 1. That's hardly a fumble every game.

I would like you to watch the Seattle vs Detroit game. Then come back in here and tell me how good Logan is.

Mind pointing out where I claimed that he was good?

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Blink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetSpirit,

Sorry, I thought he had to be talking about Gabbert.

If he truely meant Garrard then his statement is even more lulz worthy.
coors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas IMO hasn't lived up to what people thought he would be coming out of Arizona.. but then again he wasn't drafted until the 4th round for a reason.. Most people thought that because of his great speed (I think he ran close to a 4.3 flat in the 40 during the combine) and his small size yet very quick and shifty would make him a perfect slot type receiver. I can definitely say that I have not seen very many Jags games since Thomas had entered the league out of that '09 class, but I'm pretty sure he never lived up to any of his hype/potential.. Like I said I am definitely not very knowledgeable when it comes to the Jags for the most part.. so I for sure could be wrong I guess.. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
iPwn wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

Mind pointing out where I claimed that he was good?

I never said you did, but you're acting like he's a much better player than Thomas. Which is easy to assume while just looking at stats. Watch a game and you'll see why we're happy with replacing him.
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
I never said you did, but you're acting like he's a much better player than Thomas. Which is easy to assume while just looking at stats. Watch a game and you'll see why we're happy with replacing him.
And while you may be happy with replacing him, it doesn't mean that Thomas is better. If you watched him, you'd realize it. There's a reason we signed a player off of the street to replace him.

- Best since day one -
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
And while you may be happy with replacing him, it doesn't mean that Thomas is better. If you watched him, you'd realize it. There's a reason we signed a player off of the street to replace him.

I'd much rather replace a mediocre special teams player with a mediocre player who can play both offense and special teams. Logan is a waste of a roster space.
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

I'd much rather replace a mediocre special teams player with a mediocre player who can play both offense and special teams. Logan is a waste of a roster space.
"Can play offense" is being very kind to Thomas. Wink

I hope he works out for you. But based on what I've seen of him the last year, it's not likely.

- Best since day one -
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

"Can play offense" is being very kind to Thomas. :wink:

I hope he works out for you. But based on what I've seen of him the last year, it's not likely.

In comparison to Logan he can play offense lol. I'm not expecting much out of him, nor should I seeing as he'll be our 4th string WR lol.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Arrow 5th round pick used

PSN: bench515lbs
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

Based on what? Seriously all the stats in the world show he played good WHEN he had a decent QB.

I am not sure anything can be drawn from having Gabbert at QB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

Based on what? Seriously all the stats in the world show he played good WHEN he had a decent QB.

But he has shown stats that say he still did okay before he got paid.

Mike Thomas admitted in the off-season that he stopped trying last year.

Even aside from that, he isn't that great. I think he can be solid in Detroit (I think it was one of those cases where a change of scenery was needed), but that is only as a slot WR and maybe occasional #2. Even then, he isn't that fast in pads and isn't that elusive. Gabbert wasn't his issue. Shorts seems to be doing just fine with Gabbert at the helm.

He can be a solid player for the Lions, but don't expect it at PR. Even when he was doing "decent" there, he took a lot of ballsy risks (one of which resulted in his lone return touchdown, but also resulted in numerous muffs and should-be muffs). The reason he has been our primary returner the last four years is because we haven't had anyone else work out/stay healthy and he has been the default.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

But he has shown stats that say he still did okay before he got paid.

Mike Thomas admitted in the off-season that he stopped trying last year.

Even aside from that, he isn't that great. I think he can be solid in Detroit (I think it was one of those cases where a change of scenery was needed), but that is only as a slot WR and maybe occasional #2. Even then, he isn't that fast in pads and isn't that elusive. Gabbert wasn't his issue. Shorts seems to be doing just fine with Gabbert at the helm.

He can be a solid player for the Lions, but don't expect it at PR. Even when he was doing "decent" there, he took a lot of ballsy risks (one of which resulted in his lone return touchdown, but also resulted in numerous muffs and should-be muffs). The reason he has been our primary returner the last four years is because we haven't had anyone else work out/stay healthy and he has been the default.

I am not a fan of the signing. Simply think there are weak arguments in here about him sucking. Think it has to do with him giving up like you said which I stated many times. Also it has to do with QB play no matter how badly you all want to say otherwise. The numbers do not lie.

Thomas/Garrard>>>>>>>>>>>Thomas/Gabbert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes the mistake of putting all the blame on Gabbert though. It's not his fault if 2011 and 2012 Mike Thomas struggles to get separation or catch the ball compared to 2010 Mike Thomas.

2011 Mike Thomas also had numbers more comparable to 2009 rookie Mike Thomas than 2010 Mike Thomas.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: