Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Payton's deal with Saints voided
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what to think...now I feel like the NFL is going to far. I do want to believe he will just re-sign with the team. But what is the purpose of this? Goodell suspended him, is he just trying to flex his muscles with this? Makes no sense to me. This is what will truly make Saints fans feel like the NFL is out to get the Saints.

I have supported every punishment the NFL has dished out, as they were deserved. But this has no purpose in my eyes unless they are trying to damage the team.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
Art_Vandalay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Dallas speculation, I remember about 2 years ago Jerry Jones was on the set of ESPN or NFLN and the analysts were speculating about Jerry bringing Cowher or Gruden out of retirement. Jerry said "How many Super Bowl winning coaches have ever went to another team and won another Super Bowl?" He kept reiterating that he wouldn't bring in a Super Bowl winning coach.

My guess is that Payton will resign with the Saints.

Last edited by Art_Vandalay on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
blkwdw13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL didn't void the contract just because, there was a clause in the contract that they didn't want to approve because the league believed that any such language in Payton's contract would set a bad precedent for other coaching contracts. But I guess not many read the article.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 years 100 million to be the Lions offensive coordinator. Please. Laughing
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
coleman51 wrote:
So... how does this work? Was this per request?

If Sean Payton can just sign a brand new deal with the Saints, which in theory would be essentially the same thing he signed in 2011, what did Goodell accomplish?

Any new deal signed by Payton would probably be less than what the original deal was, I would imagine. Payton is somewhat damaged goods right now, so I think Goodell just essentially wiped out the deal he got based on the super bowl win. If they are going that far, they may as well just take away the Saints super bowl win from the record books as well.

Laughing Laughing

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
simonwayne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
I have no idea what to think...now I feel like the NFL is going to far. I do want to believe he will just re-sign with the team. But what is the purpose of this? Goodell suspended him, is he just trying to flex his muscles with this? Makes no sense to me. This is what will truly make Saints fans feel like the NFL is out to get the Saints.

I have supported every punishment the NFL has dished out, as they were deserved. But this has no purpose in my eyes unless they are trying to damage the team.

Well, if Payton was a bad HC you'd be fine with this, right? The league isn't going to decide who is a bad HC and who isn't, but if a HC allows something like the bountygate scandal to happen while running things, it isn't good for the franchise, and the ownership surely isn't going to be happy about it. If he was a bad HC who did this, you'd want him gone without having to pay the rest of his contract.

I guess the best thing to do would have been to make it where they can fire Payton without having to pay the rest of his contract. Good HC, or Bad HC, the team wins there.

Didn't read the article though, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you need to read the article, this has nothing to do with bounty gate. The NFL didn't like one of the clauses in the contract which basically stated that if Mickey Loomis was suspended or fired, Sean Payton can leave right then and there. The NFL thought it set a bad precedent and they denied the extension.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Jeebs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:

Read the article before making unsubstantiated assumptions. This has nothing to do with the bounty program that went on under Payton's regime. It has to do with the wording of the contract, particularly the clause regarding the GM.

This isn't a new issue either. This was discussed when the contract was announced in 2011.

Quote:
At issue in the contract was one specific clause that would have enabled Payton to walk away from the deal if general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended, fired or left the New Orleans organization, sources said.

The league believed that any such language in Payton's contract would set a bad precedent for other coaching contracts and rejected the deal well before Loomis was suspended for the first eight games this season for his part in the bounty scandal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Some of you need to read the article, this has nothing to do with bounty gate. The NFL didn't like one of the clauses in the contract which basically stated that if Mickey Loomis was suspended or fired, Sean Payton can leave right then and there. The NFL thought it set a bad precedent and they denied the extension.

It has everything to do with it. Why was Loomis suspended again? Payton is getting his contract voided directly from the consequences of the bounty gate scandal.

Payton probably isnt going anywhere, i just wonder if the Saints will be willing to offer the same contract or more from a monetary standpoint. It might even send a terrible message that the team/ownership is fine having head coach who allowed this to happen on Payton's watch by giving him an equivalent contract.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

It has everything to do with it. Why was Loomis suspended again? Payton is getting his contract voided directly from the consequences of the bounty gate scandal.

Payton probably isnt going anywhere, i just wonder if the Saints will be willing to offer the same contract or more from a monetary standpoint. It might even send a terrible message that the team/ownership is fine having head coach who allowed this to happen on Payton's watch by giving him an equivalent contract.

But didn't the rejection of the contract extension come before the scandal broke and Loomis was suspended? This might be just getting around in the media but I am wondering if the contract extension rejection has been something that has already happened.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

This was brought up by the league in 2011. It was brought up way before the NFL suspended Loomis and Payton.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
justo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was just wondering yesterday if the Saints keep him through this rebuilding process because he wasn't really the coach in the down times. Sucks for him. Maybe goes to college or becomes an OC. I can't see him being and NFL HC next year if he's not with the Saints.

BTW isn't this scary that the NFL is using this power now?
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
wow_junky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wasn't this sorted in 2011?
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright people, take off the tin foil hats and read the entire article...
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Wow, I was just wondering yesterday if the Saints keep him through this rebuilding process because he wasn't really the coach in the down times. Sucks for him. Maybe goes to college or becomes an OC. I can't see him being and NFL HC next year if he's not with the Saints.

BTW isn't this scary that the NFL is using this power now?

So much to address in this post...
1. The Saints aren't in a rebuilding process Laughing
2. The Saints didn't fire Sean Payton, their was a clause in his contract that the NFL thought set a bad precedent so they voided it
3. You actually think a top 3 NFL HC would have a hard time finding another coaching gig if the Saints didn't want him back?
4. After watching the dismantling of this team solely because of Paytons absence, you really think they aren't counting down the days until he's back?

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: