Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Payton's deal with Saints voided
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky_b27

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see him in Philly next year, but there is little chance of that happening.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think people really understand the ramifications, per Payton's suspension he can't have any contact w/ NFL personnel so he can't negotiate a new contract right now. That means the day his suspension is lifted, he's a FA and Jerry Jones will back up the armored car full of money to Payton's house in Dallas and ask how much he needs. Unlike players, there is no salary cap for coaches, Benson will have to be willing to go as high as Jerry is, and I'm not sure any owner in the league is willing to go as high as Jerry is. This could be very interesting after the year is over.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
I don't think people really understand the ramifications, per Payton's suspension he can't have any contact w/ NFL personnel so he can't negotiate a new contract right now. That means the day his suspension is lifted, he's a FA and Jerry Jones will back up the armored car full of money to Payton's house in Dallas and ask how much he needs. Unlike players, there is no salary cap for coaches, Benson will have to be willing to go as high as Jerry is, and I'm not sure any owner in the league is willing to go as high as Jerry is. This could be very interesting after the year is over.

Even if Jerry opts to back the Brinks truck up to Sean Payton's front door, there is little evidence to convince me that he would create any marked improvement on this team; not because he lacks the ability, but because of Jerry's inability to perform the basic functions of a GM and because of his history of udnermining and emasculating every head coach who has ever worked for him. The Cowboys' players are never held accountable for anything because Jerry makes it impossible for a coach to do so, thus undermining his authority, and the results show each and every week on the field.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Even if Jerry opts to back the Brinks truck up to Sean Payton's front door, there is little evidence to convince me that he would create any marked improvement on this team; not because he lacks the ability, but because of Jerry's inability to perform the basic functions of a GM and because of his history of udnermining and emasculating every head coach who has ever worked for him. The Cowboys' players are never held accountable for anything because Jerry makes it impossible for a coach to do so, thus undermining his authority, and the results show each and every week on the field.
There have been 2 coaches that, for at least a time, Jerry has been willing to take the back seat to. Of course I'm speaking of Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. My guess would be that Payton would make 3.

General_Bean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

There have been 2 coaches that, for at least a time, Jerry has been willing to take the back seat to. Of course I'm speaking of Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. My guess would be that Payton would make 3.

Ironically, only 2 successful coaches in his term of ownership. (Parcells not so much in the postseason, but playing at a high level) One could say early on Phillips, but I think Parcells could've gotten them to the same record.

I wouldn't blame Payton if he decided to want to leave NO. It's a team in disarray, and on life support through the offense. It'll take a couple years to reform the defense and Brees may only have a couple more solid years left. I wouldn't call Dallas a Superbowl contender, but the Defense is close to be solidified (I think Ryan is doing a good job). They just need a better offensive mind there, and I feel that is Payton.
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sean Payton leaves, I'm starting a protest in New Orleans and its not going to end until Goodell isn't commissioner anymore.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
justo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
If Sean Payton leaves, I'm starting a protest in New Orleans and its not going to end until Goodell isn't commissioner anymore.

He will laugh and you will die of exhaustion. Goodell is perfect for the league owners. Commishes have changed over the years. They used to be a non bias mediator between the players and owners until the owners figured out they pay his salary so they should have one that represents them. Goodell is doing his job with amazing marks. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Why?? b/c the NFL committee responsible for approving/rejecting contracts didnt approve the contract before the bounty situation and b/c it could never be worked out was forced to void the extension? Yep that's Roger Goddell's fault.

footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he doesn't, however I see him headed to Dallas. A top ~12 QB, solid offensive weapons, and a pretty good defense.

While it would be nice to see him stick with Brees, this is a rather convenient 'out' and it would be wise to distance himself from the bounty situation.
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Why?? b/c the NFL committee responsible for approving/rejecting contracts didnt approve the contract before the bounty situation and b/c it could never be worked out was forced to void the extension? Yep that's Roger Goddell's fault.

Goodell approved this contract extension...now all of a sudden its not acceptable? And to top it all off, we don't even get to negotiate with Sean Payton because he's suspended, we just get to watch him become a free agent. Thats absolute BS.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He will laugh and you will die of exhaustion. Goodell is perfect for the league owners. Commishes have changed over the years. They used to be a non bias mediator between the players and owners until the owners figured out they pay his salary so they should have one that represents them. Goodell is doing his job with amazing marks. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Hate the teller.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Goodell approved this contract extension...now all of a sudden its not acceptable? And to top it all off, we don't even get to negotiate with Sean Payton because he's suspended, we just get to watch him become a free agent. Thats absolute BS.
No the extension was never approved, read the article. The NFL told the Saints and Payton last year that the extension wasn't approved but never got a revised contract, and Goddell doesn't approve or reject anything, the NFL contract committee does that.

Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time seeing him go anywhere else and I know a lot of talk is going on about where he'd go, but what I don't see much talk about is who would replace him? That would be quite the shoes to fill and you can't help but wonder if Saints become the "aints" again. Even with Brees on the roster.

Something to think about anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Why did the NFL void the contract?

Think it was because there was something that said he could leave the team if Loomis was fired/suspended?
If it was a bad contract back in 2011 then why wasn't it voided back then? If the Saints never got in trouble this contract wouldn't be voided but now it is. It's kind of shady.

The article clearly stated why. It also stated it was voided sometime in the last year in the very first sentence.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

No the extension was never approved, read the article. The NFL told the Saints and Payton last year that the extension wasn't approved but never got a revised contract, and Goddell doesn't approve or reject anything, the NFL contract committee does that.
To add to this, the Saints and Peyton could do all the negotiating they wanted to if they weren't running an illegal bounty program in their organization. This is on the Saints and Peyton. NOT Goodell.

Kempes on the custom sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: