Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shad Khan: "It's sad and embarrassing."
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Shad Khan: "It's sad and embarrassing." Reply with quote

Didn't see it talked about, here is the run down:
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/11/5/3607156/jaguars-news-fire-gene-smith-shad-khan

Quote:
"The fans have done their part, now we have to do our part," Khan continued.

Quote:
Khan simply said that the Jaguars must finish the season and you can't rush to judgement, and when the season is done you evaluate where the Jaguars are at.

"The fans have done everything. We asked them to be All In, they're All In," Khan said. "It's very obvious as a player, coach or fan, this is not a good thing."

"If I was in their shoes (fans) I'd be saying the same thing," Khan told All-Access hosts Jeff Lageman and Bren Martineau when he was asked what fans say to him in public, venting their frustrations. "You have to think about the actions, reactions, and what the end game is."

Quote:
According to Mark Long of the AP, Khan also made mention that despite reports of the Jaguars having the most cap space in the NFL, they're actually $17 million over the cap right now and have the sixth largest payroll in the league.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/11/7/3615126/jaguars-news-fire-gene-smith-shad-khan-transcript

If you read the different blurbs from other people dealing with the Jaguars, it sounds like Shad is going to overhaul the entire FO and Coaching staff...giving his New GM options to hire the coach and make the decision on QB.

#JDI
Mr. V

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shad Khan: "It's sad and embarrassing." Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
If you read the different blurbs from other people dealing with the Jaguars, it sounds like Shad is going to overhaul the entire FO and Coaching staff...giving his New GM options to hire the coach and make the decision on QB.

I'd be sad if that wasn't the case.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shad didn't want to knee-jerk, but this has got to stop.
Quote:
The #Jaguars have now been outscored 153-44 at EverBank Field this year.

#JDI
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This, by almost all accounts, is the worst team in franchise history. Even the 1995 expansion team wasn't even this bad. By Week 10 of the 1995 season, the Jaguars had three wins and had lost just three games by more than a touchdown. The 1995 offense was near the bottom in the league on offense, but the 2012 Jaguars are dead last in total offense and points and the defense isn't far behind.

This team just does not have the talent to compete with even the mediocre teams in the NFL in a week in and week out basis. This team, that Gene Smith has built, has a handful of players that are even worth keeping going forward. It needs a massive overhaul at plenty of key positions and the entire front offense needs to be gutted.

#JDI
Mr. V

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of saying Robinson got benched, this article is dead on: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8609918/jacksonville-done-much-help-itself

Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
Outside of saying Robinson got benched, this article is dead on: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8609918/jacksonville-done-much-help-itself

I got halfway through the article. It is far from "dead on"

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Mr. V

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

What do you not agree with?

Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

Comparing the NFL draft to a fantasy football draft and pretending to know what team's boards look like. So basically all of what I read before I gave up on the article.

Edit: Like I'm sure he makes valid points (probably kind of hard not to with a 1-8 team), but it has a very asinine atmosphere attached to it.

Mr. V

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Mr. V wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

Comparing the NFL draft to a fantasy football draft and pretending to know what team's boards look like. So basically all of what I read before I gave up on the article.

Edit: Like I'm sure he makes valid points (probably kind of hard not to with a 1-8 team), but it has a very asinine atmosphere attached to it.

True, but it's tough to say that Gene Smith has maximized the value of each pick.

iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing with Anger and likening him to Fantasy Football was ridiculous. The observation about Alualu being drafter there are false, as three of the next 4 teams drafting said that was their pick. While Robinson has been injured, he's played very well while healthy, something that was completely glossed over in favor of the more negative "benched for Cecil Shorts," all while ignoring that Shorts has been great and needed to be worked into the offense more. He also took to a footnote to mock players like Cox and Shorts being drafted because they went to small schools, despite the fact that they were clearly quality picks. Mocking Scobee's contract is laughable too, and they passed it off with a footnote at the bottom that well that read as "he's played well since midseason of 2010, but it's still a bad deal anyway because we say so."

Sure they got some things right. It's hard not to when bashing a bad team, but they whiffed on a lot just to puff up the story.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Mr. V wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

True, but it's tough to say that Gene Smith has maximized the value of each pick.
What team could you say has?

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Mr. V wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Mr. V wrote:

There is a bit of an asinine atmosphere to it, some factual inconsistencies, and a few of the points are made in an obtuse way, but once you dig through that...it's not terrible.

It's basically just pointing out what at least a few of us have been saying around here. Gene Smith might be a competent talent evaluator in some respects, but he seems to really struggle in finding and judging value. Between the FA misadventures, the constant trading up in the draft, and the questionable high picks, 'overspending' picks on small school guys, overemphasis of less premium positions...Gene doesn't seem to deliver excellent value with any regularity.

And in that, it's more insightful than a lot of articles i've read.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't take it seriously when I have to filter so much of it.

It sounds like he is basically just saying "mistakes have been made" which is kind of an obvious thing to say when a team is 1-8.

As far as Gene Smith is concerned, I think he's probably gone after this year. In all, his tenure as GM here was a failure simply because the records did not end up as what they needed to be (stating the obvious, but I'm doing it in a small amount of words so dealz wid it yo). I think he can be successful elsewhere (obviously in a smaller role) and it wouldn't surprise me if he was given a title close to or equivalent to GM sometime in the future (though many times GMs don't get more chances and it is obviously in question whether he can be "that" guy) simply because it's obvious, regardless of what has transpired here, that he knows football and he has a solid philosophy. If nothing else though, like I just said, he's a quality guy to have inside an organization and near a GM's ear.

I just hope the new GM doesn't blow things up simply because this team doesn't need blown up. Gene was successful in one regard: he has gotten us on base (ie: a lot of guys worth keeping on an NFL roster; this isn't like the 2008 team). We need someone (regardless if it's Gene or the new GM) to start batting people in. Hopefully Gabbert becomes an RBI king. Who knows though? While I'm on the subject though, that's another concern for me. What do we do if Gabbert re-injurying his torn labrum and us falling to 1-8 is enough to land him on IR or negate a quality evaluation the rest of the season?

Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
I think he can be successful elsewhere (obviously in a smaller role) and it wouldn't surprise me if he was given a title close to or equivalent to GM sometime in the future (though many times GMs don't get more chances and it is obviously in question whether he can be "that" guy) simply because it's obvious, regardless of what has transpired here, that he knows football and he has a solid philosophy. If nothing else though, like I just said, he's a quality guy to have inside an organization and near a GM's ear.

On the first bolded, i disagree. He has a clear philosophy as a talent evaluator and does obviously know football, yes. But it seems more a 'scouts philosophy' than that of a true GM and team-builder. His philosophy doesn't seem to emphasize finding value where it lies. It's more of that 'bang the table' sort of mentality. There's a pretty strong pattern that has emerged in the way he operates as a GM, and that management philosophy doesn't strike me as 'solid', when it's led to where this Jaguars team is at right now.

But the second bolded i completely agree with. He seems to be a quality football guy and in a world without egos and the like, i'd be plenty happy to keep him on in a lesser, advisory sort of role. He does some things quite well and i'm sure will find a position atop a scouting department somewhere or in some sort of advisory role (and will probably be quite good at it). But as i think the article was trying to get at...Gene's shortcomings seem to be more in terms of his 'management philosophy' than his 'talent evaluation philosophy'.

Quote:
I just hope the new GM doesn't blow things up simply because this team doesn't need blown up. Gene was successful in one regard: he has gotten us on base (ie: a lot of guys worth keeping on an NFL roster; this isn't like the 2008 team). We need someone (regardless if it's Gene or the new GM) to start batting people in. Hopefully Gabbert becomes an RBI king. Who knows though? While I'm on the subject though, that's another concern for me. What do we do if Gabbert re-injurying his torn labrum and us falling to 1-8 is enough to land him on IR or negate a quality evaluation the rest of the season?

Also completely agree with this characterization. We have support pieces all over the place, but we need the keystone pieces at a lot of positions to make it all work.

As for Gabbert if he lands on IR? For me, it wouldn't really change anything at this point. It would suck a lot, yeah. But i'd still move forward, give Gabbert another year to show us he can be 'the guy', draft a mid-round developmental guy to sit and maybe push a bit. Let it play out fully. However, for a new GM thinking about coming in and drafting a fresh QB straight out the gate...that could really complicate things i guess.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most all of that is very fair.

Sent this to Sabo, figured I might as well put it here:

The thing is I'm not so much in full support of Gene, so much as I'm against the notion that he's done a horrible job. There's some good pieces here, quite a few of them. The thing is, whoever is GM next year has to hit some home runs. We are full of the base hits, but we don't have enough of the home runs. For instance, I feel like if we add one top 10 WR, the group becomes a top 10 group overall. The same for the O-line. The defense, I feel the same way, it's only 1-2 guys away.

I fully understand that the team isn't where it should be. It's not close. It has some glaring holes, but I feel that otherwise, they're built well. It's not good enough and if he has to go, as I've said all along, I'm okay with that. I just think people are taking much too much frustration out on him and making it seem like the job he's done has been much, much worse than it has been.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: