Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL paid for brain injuries, denied link to football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Why isn't it required for all players to wear special concussion helmets? That's what I want to know.

Whoever makes those rules doesn't care about player safety as much as the NFL acts like it does.
I mean, they have extra protective helmets. Why not give these players the best helmets available? I mean, I see some players with some outdated helmets that my friggin high school has upgraded on twice already.

R.I.P. Stylish
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Why isn't it required for all players to wear special concussion helmets? That's what I want to know.

Whoever makes those rules doesn't care about player safety as much as the NFL acts like it does.
I mean, they have extra protective helmets. Why not give these players the best helmets available? I mean, I see some players with some outdated helmets that my friggin high school has upgraded on twice already.

IIRC they're available to players, but the players make the final call.

They just need to make them mandatory IMO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:

There is no such thing yet as a concussion helmet.
There are helmets out there that reduce the risk of head injuries such as skull fractures and although the new "concussion" helmets reduce the impact forces to the brain that has not translated into differences in the rate or severity of concussions.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

There are helmets out there that reduce the risk of head injuries such as skull fractures and although the new "concussion" helmets reduce the impact forces to the brain that has not translated into differences in the rate or severity of concussions.

Link?

Last time this came up someone posted an article that was talking about how 1 type of helmet has greatly reduced concussions. Has that changed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Keleth wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Link?

Last time this came up someone posted an article that was talking about how 1 type of helmet has greatly reduced concussions. Has that changed?

Oops meant to include them in the original post
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/2391239-419/helmet-nfl-concussion-concussions-helmets.html
http://youthsportsblog.childrenscolorado.org/concussion/do-high-tech-helmets-prevent-concussions/

When you think that a concussion is caused by the brain being shaken often hitting the skull then no helmet is going to stop that.
There are also plenty more articles out there if you google them.

Also everyone is all over the NFL about this and rightly so but does anyone else like me think the NFLPA should take action against Brian Urlacher for these comments..
http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2012/11/16/chicago-bears-brian-urlacher-would-lie-to-hide-a-concussion/
On the one hand you have the NFLPA trying (supposedly) to protect its members from concussions and on the other hand you have one of its members saying he would lie if he had a concussion so he could continue playing.He's not exactly helping the retirees case there.
Some people are obviously going to think he is brave and tough but basically he is just plain stupid,we're not talking something that may leave him in pain or having to use a stick for the rest of his life but something that could leave him in a vegetative state.
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Keleth wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Link?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/2391239-419/helmet-nfl-concussion-concussions-helmets.html
http://youthsportsblog.childrenscolorado.org/concussion/do-high-tech-helmets-prevent-concussions/

When you think that a concussion is caused by the brain being shaken often hitting the skull then no helmet is going to stop that.

Also everyone is all over the NFL about this and rightly so but does anyone else like me think the NFLPA should take action against Brian Urlacher for these comments..
http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2012/11/16/chicago-bears-brian-urlacher-would-lie-to-hide-a-concussion/
On the one hand you have the NFLPA trying (supposedly) to protect its members from concussions and on the other hand you have one of its members saying he would lie if he had a concussion so he could continue playing.He's not exactly helping the retirees case there.
Some people are obviously going to think he is brave and tough but basically he is just plain stupid,we're not talking something that may leave him in pain or having to use a stick for the rest of his life but something that could leave him in a vegetative state.

This is the main issue. The only way to eliminate concussions is to prevent hits to the head entirely. It's really that simple. If the NFL truly cared about the safety of human beings, they would shut down entirely.

I'm not saying that I want that, nor that it should happen; I just think they should stop trying to BS everyone.
justo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Looks at shoulder pads, jerseys, ect. The problem isn't so much the NFL. It's the culture of "speed kills" and the suppliers creating items fitting that culture. Equipment is now engineered for speed, not safety. Hopefully this will change soon. I know a couple guys that work south of me in state that paint helmets nation wide. Pretty much all these special helmets (like the Redskins leather ones, Oregon's helmets, TCU's chrome sparkle helmet, all the Pro Combat ones) are painted there and they are saying that a change in the helmet industry is coming soon. I don't think it's going to be as drastic as the people suggesting face masks be taken off.
justo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
They just need to make them mandatory IMO
Which they can do. They just made players use leg padding for 2013 IIRC.
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't know that playing football would cause brain damage, you might have had brain damage to begin with. Sorry, but if you blame the NFL for your choosing to participate in a collision sport, then that is absurd. I'm not justifying the NFL lying about the results of concussions in the long term. But good grief. You make a choice to play the game. Nobody forced you to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
Keleth wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Keleth wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Link?

This is the main issue. The only way to eliminate concussions is to prevent hits to the head entirely. It's really that simple. If the NFL truly cared about the safety of human beings, they would shut down entirely.

I'm not saying that I want that, nor that it should happen; I just think they should stop trying to BS everyone.

Nope the only way to eliminate concussions is to prevent hits not just hits to the head.
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think former players are/were being a bit native if they honestly believed "the league's top medical experts for years consistently denied any link between the sport and long-term brain damage."

Really? A sport where you crash into 250+ pound men on a regular basis is going to have no long term effects on your brain? Even if you wear a helmet, it's obvious that you can still get your skull rattled pretty good or your "bell rung" as many players have experienced.

I'm not saying some weren't that stupid, but they can't all be that naive. Wink

God, family, and the Green Bay Packers; in that order.
iPwn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Because while the helmets reduce impact forces, no data suggests that they actually reduce concussion rates.

Plus when players feel safer, they're more likely to make riskier plays, raising their risk.

EDIT: Oops, I see it's already been linked to.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
If you didn't know that playing football would cause brain damage, you might have had brain damage to begin with. Sorry, but if you blame the NFL for your choosing to participate in a collision sport, then that is absurd. I'm not justifying the NFL lying about the results of concussions in the long term. But good grief. You make a choice to play the game. Nobody forced you to do it.

I agree with this 100%.

This would be like someone working as a lumberjack and then being shocked when they find out it might be dangerous. (maybe a poor analogy but I tried Laughing ).

With a game as brutal as this, you have to realize there would be long term consequences.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
NateDawg wrote:

I agree with this 100%.

This would be like someone working as a lumberjack and then being shocked when they find out it might be dangerous. (maybe a poor analogy but I tried Laughing ).

With a game as brutal as this, you have to realize there would be long term consequences.

But if your employer is telling you over and over again that you won't have a tree fall on your leg and break it so don't worry about it, then it's on them when it actually happens.

Last edited by tylerdouglass on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Keleth wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Link?

Interesting, I know they don't have a concussion proof helmet, but I had no idea they didn't even have a concussion reducing helmet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: