Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Monte Kiffin to resign from USC, pursue NFL opportunities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mco65

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the AD Pat Hayden telling Lane, fire your dad or I will fire you. Wink
floppyflaps

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bucs defense was still good when he left Tampa, it was the main reason that they won the divison in 2007, and had a chance to win the division/make the playoffs in 2008. It was only bad in the last 4 games after he announced that he was leaving.

Just like some good college coaches can't succeed in the NFL, some NFL coaches can't succeed in college. It's a different game and different kind of coaching involved.

You don't get 10+ years of a top 10 defense by being a bad defensive coordinator. He didn't even use the Tampa 2 that much during the last few years that he was in the NFL. He didn't have that much talent left either on those teams. None of those players are still starting in the NFL other than Ronde Barber.

Honestly I think that Kiffin can come back and be a top defensive coordinator in this league.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruden and Kiffin!

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers would be a good fit for him, that's for sure. Titans and Bills would also be a good fit.

They have the personnel for a cover 2. I'm having problems finding another good fit.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiffin was a Dungy hire though, and didn't he have a bust up with Gruden at some point? Right before they left?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
Kiffin was a Dungy hire though, and didn't he have a bust up with Gruden at some point? Right before they left?

Yes, in 2008, Kiffin wanted to announce leaving to coach with his son mid-season, but Gruden wouldn't allow it because he thought it would create a distraction. Kiffin became a lame-duck coach and the defense under-performed as the team lost 4 straight and missed the playoffs. First 9-3 team to do that ever.

I don't know the full story, but some say before the season, Gruden and Kiffin were having some problems with each other, which could explain why the events unfolded like they did. I highly doubt they'll agree to coach with each other.
BillSabre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gotta be the Bills.... Wilson, Nix and Gailey need someone they can relate to. Breaking News: Ralph Wilson stadium is being renamed Geriatrics Field and will be giving out flu shots to the elderly on Mondays.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Who got that sack? Cameron Jordan? Jordan Cameron? Michael Jordan? Cam Cameron? IM SO CONFUSED!
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should have just stayed with Lane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiffin is the man and I would love to see him get a personal spot in Tampa.
5nick5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floppyflaps wrote:
The Bucs defense was still good when he left Tampa, it was the main reason that they won the divison in 2007, and had a chance to win the division/make the playoffs in 2008. It was only bad in the last 4 games after he announced that he was leaving.

Just like some good college coaches can't succeed in the NFL, some NFL coaches can't succeed in college. It's a different game and different kind of coaching involved.

You don't get 10+ years of a top 10 defense by being a bad defensive coordinator. He didn't even use the Tampa 2 that much during the last few years that he was in the NFL. He didn't have that much talent left either on those teams. None of those players are still starting in the NFL other than Ronde Barber.

Honestly I think that Kiffin can come back and be a top defensive coordinator in this league.

Seriously, his defense was a consistent top-10 defense until those last 4 games in 2008 when he and every player knew he was leaving. And the college game is much different than the NFL game. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bucs take him back.

Thanks to BGG on the sig.

Adopt a Buc: Alterraun Verner
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5nick5 wrote:
floppyflaps wrote:

Seriously, his defense was a consistent top-10 defense until those last 4 games in 2008 when he and every player knew he was leaving. And the college game is much different than the NFL game. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bucs take him back.

You do realize he had potentially 3 HOF players and without a doubt two (Sapp/Brooks) while coaching those TB defenses right? I'm not kocking what he did as a DC but lets not act like he was coaching a bunch of scrubs either.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 12 Gm/ 71 Rec/ 1088 Yds/ 9 TD/ 15.3 YPC/
Malik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
floppyflaps wrote:

You do realize he had potentially 3 HOF players and without a doubt two (Sapp/Brooks) while coaching those TB defenses right? I'm not kocking what he did as a DC but lets not act like he was coaching a bunch of scrubs either.

Five all-pro players including Ronde Barber and Simeon Rice.
sayheykid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
floppyflaps wrote:

None of them were All-Pros or Hall of Famers when Kiffin installed the Tampa two. In fact all of them had pretty major question marks. Brooks was way too small, Sapp was a head-case, Lynch was a reckless head-hunter, Ronde was way too small and way too slow. Never doubt the effect Monte had on that defense and on defenses around the league. Also, a lot of players from that team will flat out tell you that towards the tail-end of the glory years when Gruden was trying his darndest to rip that locker room apart Monte was the only thing that kept it together.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayheykid wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
floppyflaps wrote:

None of them were All-Pros or Hall of Famers when Kiffin installed the Tampa two. In fact all of them had pretty major question marks. Brooks was way too small, Sapp was a head-case, Lynch was a reckless head-hunter, Ronde was way too small and way too slow. Never doubt the effect Monte had on that defense and on defenses around the league. Also, a lot of players from that team will flat out tell you that towards the tail-end of the glory years when Gruden was trying his darndest to rip that locker room apart Monte was the only thing that kept it together.

Never said he wasn't responsible for any of their success but to think none of those players you listed wouldn't have had any success playing for another team is straight crazy. Big difference in talent working with Sapp. Brooks, Lynch and Barber then say making Mike Patterson, Casey Mathews, Kurt Coleman and Joselo Hanson future All Pro's and HOF. Let be honest.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 12 Gm/ 71 Rec/ 1088 Yds/ 9 TD/ 15.3 YPC/
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiffin could return to the Vikings and coach the DBs or LBs. I like Alan Williams as the DC. His cover 2 scheme is a dying scheme, I think the Bears and Vikings are probably the only remaining teams who run similarl versions of his original scheme.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: