Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hall of Fame Semifinalists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
If LA isn't a first ballot HOF'er, I'd be shocked. Probably one of the Top 3 offensive lineman in the history of the game and he played 3 or 4 of the 5 spots at an All-Pro level

Top three is a stretch, but Allen and Ogden are two of the all time elites on the OL. This could be the best OL class ever (without looking up past classes), with Ogden, Allen, and Will Shields potentially all making it in. All three are worthy and on my top five posted earlier.

Is there a better Guard in the history of the NFL?
Obviously comparing interior offensive lineman through different eras is going to be HIGHLY subjective, but there are several guys who would be in the discussion:

Bruce Matthews
Randall McDaniel
Will Shields
Alan Faneca

I won't put guys from the 60's and before where their All Pro/Pro Bowl teams are going to be debateable.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
If LA isn't a first ballot HOF'er, I'd be shocked. Probably one of the Top 3 offensive lineman in the history of the game and he played 3 or 4 of the 5 spots at an All-Pro level

Top three is a stretch, but Allen and Ogden are two of the all time elites on the OL. This could be the best OL class ever (without looking up past classes), with Ogden, Allen, and Will Shields potentially all making it in. All three are worthy and on my top five posted earlier.

Obviously comparing interior offensive lineman through different eras is going to be HIGHLY subjective, but there are several guys who would be in the discussion:

Bruce Matthews
Randall McDaniel
Will Shields
Alan Faneca

I won't put guys from the 60's and before where their All Pro/Pro Bowl teams are going to be debateable.

I have Allen ahead of all of those with Matthews being hte closest and McDaniel right behind him. I'm surprised you didn't mention Hannah or Upshaw though.

Sig courtesy of mack.
mco65

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ please include Patriots John Hannah. Arguable the greatest Guard of all time.

Sad beat me to it MH
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Bruce Matthews
Randall McDaniel
Will Shields
Alan Faneca

I have Allen ahead of all of those with Matthews being hte closest and McDaniel right behind him. I'm surprised you didn't mention Hannah or Upshaw though.

Went off the top of my head, but I would have both Matthews and McDaniel ahead of Allen. Upshaw's prime was a bit before my time. Hannah would be ahead of Allen as well imo, but I can't be expected to remember every good guard from last 35ish years. Razz
Bobikus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, if I was voting and could pick 5 players + 1 non-player:

Larry Allen
Aeneas Williams
Cris Carter
Michael Strahan
Jerome Bettis
and Parcells

There's so much of a logjam going on here though that they should up the enshrinees per year up to like 8 players.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Like others have said, there's a bunch on his level. Hard to separate any of them. Matthews, Shields, Upshaw, Hannah, McDaniel, who were all mentioned, all have a strong case. I'm not sure I'd take any over Allen, though... huge fan of his, as I said he should be a lock for the first ballot (although Ogden > Allen, imo).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: