Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rex Ryan names Mark Sanchez starting QB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really should just give McElroy his shot. Of course, that would be certain doom for Rex Ryan & Tannenbaum, who invested so much in Sanchez already, so this decision should surprise no one.

Rex Ryan & Tannembaum are probably done after this year. Sanchez will stay on the team due to the guaranteed money on his contract next season, but probably won't start. Jets will look to find a veteran QB in free agency while building drafting a QB in the 2nd-3rd round to groom under whatever new regime is there (no one will be worth taking in the 1st round when they pick).

Michael Vick seems to come to mind as a possible Jet next year...

Nacho Simulation Football League
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
I believe he can turn things around and establish himself as a franchise quarterback.

Why do you say things like this? Laughing

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only they had Drew Stanton instead of Tebow. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ALL about the money.

They were dumb enough to give Sanchez the extension so they could free up more cap space in 2012, and now they'll have to live with the consequences - another year and a half (at least) of Sanchez as the starter. He's going to be the starting QB through the 2014 season, unless they draft a first round QB in the 2014 off-season.

When they make Pace a June 1st cut, and cut Bart Scott and Jason Smith, they'll free up ~29 million. But, even then they'll have less than 12 million to work with before further restructurings (assuming they carry over ~$5 million from this season) and significant holes.

They have great talent at essential positions, but they just had to give terrible contract extensions to S.Holmes, D.Harris and M.Sanchez that will force them to either bite the bullet, or renegotiate contracts and delay the rebuild. The Mark Sanchez deal could be a major reason why they will be unable to keep Revis in the 2014 off-season.

Note: Not trying to harp on Jets fans; I can just identify with their situation, and it's going to be tough sledding for the next 3+ years. I've said this before, but this is exactly what the Redskins were doing 5+ years ago, and it pains me to see another franchise do the same thing.

Blknite01's masterpiece
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if this offends any New York Jets fans, I really don't mean to insult any of you but the New York Jets organization is a complete joke and they need to clean house next season.

Seriously, incompetency is one thing but to continue to accept that incompetency is sheer ignorance of the fans that tune in every Sunday.

Simply put, the Jets are a joke and everybody in that front office deserves to be fired. Woody Johnson is a terrible owner, Mike T is a joke of a GM and Rex Ryan is an idiot.

I feel bad for the Jets fans. At this rate, they will never be able to compete with New England.

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
I apologize if this offends any New York Jets fans, I really don't mean to insult any of you but the New York Jets organization is a complete joke and they need to clean house next season.

Seriously, incompetency is one thing but to continue to accept that incompetency is sheer ignorance of the fans that tune in every Sunday.

Simply put, the Jets are a joke and everybody in that front office deserves to be fired. Woody Johnson is a terrible owner, Mike T is a joke of a GM and Rex Ryan is an idiot.

I feel bad for the Jets fans. At this rate, they will never be able to compete with New England.

Most Jets fans agree with you

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
green24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
When they make Pace a June 1st cut, and cut Bart Scott and Jason Smith, they'll free up ~29 million. But, even then they'll have less than 12 million to work with before further restructurings (assuming they carry over ~$5 million from this season) and significant holes.

They also get $8.1M in leftover cap room from last offseason and could gain ~$7M from cutting Eric Smith and Tim Tebow.
Nihc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they just want the better draft pick? Think
ukjets21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
If only they had Drew Stanton instead of Tebow. Laughing

I really think if this were the case Mark would have been benched much earlier and then would have either sorted himself out (though I'm not sure he can, by all accounts he sounds like a great worker and team mate) or been cast aside and become a backup somewhere, though because we had Tebow it ruined any chance of that.

Adopt a Jet: Sheldon Richardson

Tackles - 77
Sacks - 3.5
Forced Fumbles - 1
4 Carries - 4 Yards - 2 TDs
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
Maybe they just want the better draft pick? Think

My thoughts exactly. Rex waving the white flag if you ask me. He's to stubborn to admit he was wrong about Sanchez. In the end it's probably going to cost him his job. Which may not be a bad thing for the Jets organization.

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Sephyre_Aus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity do Jets fans want Rex gone?

The quarterback mess is pretty horrible, but I was under the impression he was doing _alright_ up until this year?
green24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephyre_Aus wrote:
Out of curiosity do Jets fans want Rex gone?

The quarterback mess is pretty horrible, but I was under the impression he was doing _alright_ up until this year?

I don't want him gone, but I want him to have no voice in the FO. His seat should be warm if he is retained.
Victor Cruz Pun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your're not the Jets head coach next season, don't wonder why Rex, I seriously think he cares more about Sanchez's feelings than his job at this point.

Thanks to GopherWrestler for the sig.
Victor Cruz Pun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
Title should read "Rex Ryan wants to be fired"

I don't understand this move at all. Sanchez is just terrible. He does absolutely nothing against the Cardinals for almost 3 quarters, then McElroy comes in and while he doesn't do anything special, he led one (really two) touchdown drives in just over a quarter. For whatever reason, the entire Jets team responded when Sanchez was benched.

This type of move is similar to when a parent grounds a kid for a week, and then let's them free after a day. You don't really learn anything. He's getting his job back after he was terrible and his replacement won the game.

I don't understand the logic behind the money argument. A GM/coach looks far more foolish when they lose than when they're "wrong". Who cares if they're wrong if you win games? Is it really that bad when a guy who makes less money wins you games? Winning is everything. You look like a genius when you win, and like an idiot when you lose.

That analogy is spot on, good post.

Thanks to GopherWrestler for the sig.
yankee0724

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Is Greg McElroy that bad?

Nope, Rex Ryan is just this bad of a coach.

UofMfan909 wrote:
also, yankee.. you usually have pretty good taste in things

#DIJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: