Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Free Agent wishlist...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
Well, to be fair AAA, injuries can derail any FQ signings, Porter just as much as Warren. Ty was a high risk/high rewards based upon our need at the position.

Yeah but Warren was seriously injured yet Elway still signed him with the thought that he was to be the savior of our DL. I still think, and go ahead and criticize me for this if you want, that there was a degree of New England influence (courtesy of Russell, Kidd and Xanders) at play there. It was a mistake. It didn't kill us but it was a bad move; there's no way to argue otherwise.

Porter is a young player in his prime from a similar defensive style who was not coming off a major injury and signed to one-year deal to compete with Harris, Carter, Bolden and Florence for the starting job opposite Champ. Warren was a older, past-his-prime player from a totally different defense who was signed to a big-money deal and expected to solidify the DT spot, not compete for a role. These are totally different scenarios.

As I've said before, Elway put all of his eggs in the Ty Warren basket and Warren dropped it, drove over it with his car and then an asteroid hit it. Elway brought in Tracy Porter to compete for a job, a job he did well until the seizure issues hit and other players stepped up and out-played what a healthy Porter did. And for signing Warren, which was a bad move when it was made let alone what happened after, Elway deserves an amount of criticism.

Cutler06 wrote:
What about any of these guys, all on IR ? Do they change/alter your wish lists ? How about your draft wish list ? Always kinda forgotten reserves....

DE Jeremy Beal,
C/G Philip Blake,
S Quinton Carter,
RB Marion Fannin
DE Jason Hunter

Yeah, looking at those names it goes to speak even more about how fantastic our depth is. Honestly I had forgotten about those guys. Just another reason why we should look at targeting 3-4 impact players in the draft rather than worry about adding more depth.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Broncos are in win now mode with the Broncos having a small window with Manning, they should and will go get a high priced free agent. I will give you my girlfriend if they don't.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the Broncos are in win now mode with the Broncos having a small window with Manning, they should and will go get a high priced free agent. I will give you my girlfriend if they don't.

They absolutely will not. Elway knows that you win by building through the draft. He isnt the type to sign outside guys to big contracts. Now, Peyton is an obvious exception. But, I just dont see us spending big.

Now, a guy I have been wondering about is Richard Seymour. He will be cut this off season, is declining so wont demand huge bucks and will definatley prefer to play for a contender like Denver. And he would get to stick it to Oakland and New England quite often if he played for this team. I think he could be a huge upgrade, and count revitalize his career here. I would hope we look to him for a one, maybe two, year deal.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

They absolutely will not. Elway knows that you win by building through the draft. He isnt the type to sign outside guys to big contracts. Now, Peyton is an obvious exception. But, I just dont see us spending big.

Now, a guy I have been wondering about is Richard Seymour. He will be cut this off season, is declining so wont demand huge bucks and will definatley prefer to play for a contender like Denver. And he would get to stick it to Oakland and New England quite often if he played for this team. I think he could be a huge upgrade, and count revitalize his career here. I would hope we look to him for a one, maybe two, year deal.

+1
Seymour would be an upgrade over Bannan. We would not need to sign him to a huge contract. A two year deal would probably get it done. Let Bannan go. Keep Unrein, Vickerson, Seymour and Wolfe. Rotation set with Siliga and Jackson adding depth.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:
Well, to be fair AAA, injuries can derail any FQ signings, Porter just as much as Warren. Ty was a high risk/high rewards based upon our need at the position.

Yeah but Warren was seriously injured yet Elway still signed him with the thought that he was to be the savior of our DL. I still think, and go ahead and criticize me for this if you want, that there was a degree of New England influence (courtesy of Russell, Kidd and Xanders) at play there. It was a mistake. It didn't kill us but it was a bad move; there's no way to argue otherwise.

Porter is a young player in his prime from a similar defensive style who was not coming off a major injury and signed to one-year deal to compete with Harris, Carter, Bolden and Florence for the starting job opposite Champ. Warren was a older, past-his-prime player from a totally different defense who was signed to a big-money deal and expected to solidify the DT spot, not compete for a role. These are totally different scenarios.

As I've said before, Elway put all of his eggs in the Ty Warren basket and Warren dropped it, drove over it with his car and then an asteroid hit it. Elway brought in Tracy Porter to compete for a job, a job he did well until the seizure issues hit and other players stepped up and out-played what a healthy Porter did. And for signing Warren, which was a bad move when it was made let alone what happened after, Elway deserves an amount of criticism.

Cutler06 wrote:
What about any of these guys, all on IR ? Do they change/alter your wish lists ? How about your draft wish list ? Always kinda forgotten reserves....

DE Jeremy Beal,
C/G Philip Blake,
S Quinton Carter,
RB Marion Fannin
DE Jason Hunter

Yeah, looking at those names it goes to speak even more about how fantastic our depth is. Honestly I had forgotten about those guys. Just another reason why we should look at targeting 3-4 impact players in the draft rather than worry about adding more depth.

Totally agree with Warren, it was a high-risk/high reward that didn't pan out. However, I do like a GM who is willing to take a small few of those risks.

Also, the 3-4 impact player are EXACTLY the mode we're in right now, win-now. I'd bet that was part of the conversation Elway and Peyton had that helped persuade PFM to come here.

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things.

-Richard Seymour is a BUM. And he gets way to many penalties for my liking. He's getting old and I would much rather grow our own guys at DT. Something we've never done since I've been alive.

-Neither Chris Harris or Tony Carter have had a better game than Tracy Porter did against Pittsburgh. He may have been funked against Houston but so was everybody else in that game. I'm convinced with Chris Harris but I'm not yet convinced witth Carter or Bolden.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Cutler06

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
2 things.

-Richard Seymour is a BUM. And he gets way to many penalties for my liking. He's getting old and I would much rather grow our own guys at DT. Something we've never done since I've been alive.

-Neither Chris Harris or Tony Carter have had a better game than Tracy Porter did against Pittsburgh. He may have been funked against Houston but so was everybody else in that game. I'm convinced with Chris Harris but I'm not yet convinced witth Carter or Bolden.

Seymour is likely at the same stage Ty Warren was, and while I like the RS of yesteryear, he's not that player anymore...No Way on him in a Broncos uni...

I would not be hatin' if the Broncos resigned Porter though he'd have to have medical clearance and provision in the contract. $4M was a lot to pay for what we didn't get this year

Jakuvious wrote:
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:
2 things.

Seymour is likely at the same stage Ty Warren was, and while I like the RS of yesteryear, he's not that player anymore...No Way on him in a Broncos uni...

I would not be hatin' if the Broncos resigned Porter though he'd have to have medical clearance and provision in the contract. $4M was a lot to pay for what we didn't get this year
Agreed I'd like to resign Porter but he'll have to accept a smaller contract.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter is an above average corner. I would say top tier if not for the health concerns. He is definitely an elite #2 corner.

However, the reality is that if there is one player you can bet the farm will be gone as a free agent, Porter is it. We have too many guys with contracts coming due. Regardless of whether you rate Porter above Harris/Carter or not, the fact is we have done very well without him. Hence, his 4 million dollar salary will most definitely be applied elsewhere.
I can only see Porter coming back for near the Vet minimum and I am pretty sure another team will give him much more.
Next season we will go with Champ, Harris, Carter, Bolden and another mid round draftee.
SenorClean2k0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Reggie Bush?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SenorClean2k0 wrote:
What about Reggie Bush?
That wouldn't be a bad option if you ask me, but I think he will command more money than the FO will be comfortable with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN reports thar Chris Johnson may be cut by the Titans. I know he isn't Fox's bruiser type back, but what would you guys think on him ?

Jakuvious wrote:
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
ESPN reports thar Chris Johnson may be cut by the Titans. I know he isn't Fox's bruiser type back, but what would you guys think on him ?

One the one hand: yes, definately. On the other hand no: a more expensive version of Hillman.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offense could use another playmaker. I would not be opposed to shellin out a little money for a burner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the Titans would be jumping the getting gun getting rid of Johnson now. If you ask me, that team needs to look real hard at tape of the Pistol in Washing this season, of the Falcons with Vick and Dunn, and of the Broncos offense with Jake Plummer and get a power back and transition to a fulltime zone blocking team. It wouldn't be a bad idea to look at tape of some of Andy Reed's teams as well as Gruden's Tampa teams with Michael Pittman as the third down back, because I think passes to the running back are the one thing missing from that Shanahan scheme that I think would make the defense have to account for more. With Pistol I like those plays even more because it's easier to miss the tailback when he's lined up behind the QB. I would use CJ as a receiver fairly often and not to mention Darius Reynaud would be a good fit there as well.

For me, if I had a solid power back who can block, I would love to put Jake Locker in the Pistol with Chris Johnson behind him(either at the snap or from motion, because using CJ as a receiver is a smart plan) and the power back in position as the lead blocker or as a hand-off man. Jake Locker can run too so he can be a running threat as well. But I would give Johnson a chance to play in a stable scheme where they run about 90% zone and see how he performs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: