Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Weapons needed..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:
I like Austin's game but I'm not sure where he fits. To me he looks like a 3rd down back. He isn't a true field stretcher, at least from the five games I ahve seen (need to still watch LSU in 2011). Austin at best is an explosive slot receiver.

He's a mismatch nightmare for opponents....Slot, backfield, outside, returner....I get the feeling wherever he ends up he's going to contribute in a very dynamic way.

As far as draft....I get the feeling he goes in the second round....

If he goes any higher it is a mistake. I would pick him in the middle of the second round probably.

The Dolphins second pick in the second round....hell yeah!

Jennings/Bowe, 1st Round DE, 2nd round TE/OG, 2nd Round Austin....and a bunch of other good stuff to happen in the off-season...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judson49 wrote:
Shame it'll be Jeff Ireland tanking those draft picks

I wholeheartedly disagree.
Ireland can't possibly know more about the West Coast Off & what the Phins need than J. Philbin.

They wouldn't have hired him otherwise.

As for "Weapons needed" ... it has to be TE at the top of my list.
To me the TE has more value than any of the WRs in that system.
Yes we do need another quality WR but I am against it in the 1st rnd & before drafting another LT or RT.

Other than J. Nelson none of the GB WRs are 1st rndrs. They've been drafting & putting guys similar to Hartline (X 3) on the field throughout a gm for a long time at a very high success rate.

Combine that with a good QB & a No Huddle Off & all of a sudden your Deff woes are minimized.

I wonder if we could land this guy by using on of our 2nd rnd pks to move back up to the mid to late 1st rnd...???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZubB3r93vCM

sug
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordy nelson was a 2nd round pick as well
SUG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Jordy nelson was a 2nd round pick as well

Thank you, I stand corrected. Smile

sug
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavon will not make it to the second round. He is projected as the third best wr in the draft. Miami should sign bowe and draft tavon. Miami's offense becomes instantly more explosive. I am even ok if Miami chooses to scout deductively. Meaning use a player's shuttle and 40 times to look at game tape. Hopefully their times translate to the field. Miami need to become speed snobs. They should say "this guy is not fast enough to play receiver for us". We are at that point.

Last edited by ovaw8lover on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
carlos2104

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Tavon will not make it to the second round. He is projected as the third best wr in the draft. Miami should sign bowe and draft tavon. Miami's offense becomes instantly more explosive. I am even ok if Miami scout seductively,meaning use a player's shuttle and 40 times to look at game tape. Hopefully their times translate to the field. Miami need to become speed snobs. They should say "this guy is not fast enough to play receiver for us".
I agree to an extent, but the Raiders....the Raiders. Ford, Heyward-Bey, and Moore are all decent receivers, but I don't know man.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Tavon will not make it to the second round. He is projected as the third best wr in the draft. Miami should sign bowe and draft tavon. Miami's offense becomes instantly more explosive. I am even ok if Miami scout seductively,meaning use a player's shuttle and 40 times to look at game tape. Hopefully their times translate to the field. Miami need to become speed snobs. They should say "this guy is not fast enough to play receiver for us".

The NFL has become too obsessed with the "physical specimen". It's one of the main reason we see so many UDFA and late round picks become successful in the NFL and there are so many that get picked in the 1st 2 rounds that end up mediocre or not playing.

Austin a footballer....watch those films....see the passion he has. The guy loves what he is doing. You take that desire along with his speed and the ability to break ankles and you are going to have a guy that will succeed in the NFL. His height is what will be seen as a draw back, but it shouldn't. In the end if you would be willing to take the guy top 5 if he was 6' then you should have no problem taking him the 1st round at his size.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos2104 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
I agree to an extent, but the Raiders....the Raiders. Ford, Heyward-Bey, and Moore are all decent receivers, but I don't know man.

Heyward-Bey is not the sort of receiver I would target. He is track speed. I know Heyward-Bey because he is a fellow terp. I would covet guys like Jacoby Ford. His issue is remaining healthy. No one can forecast health and injury. Moore is not that fast but he is ok. I am not saying only focus on speed. Speed is 1 of 3 criteria (speed, quickness, game tape).

When Heyward Bey was drafted, even all the Maryland coaches were shocked. They thought he was going in the third round because he did not run the route tree. He only ran post and seams in college.
carlos2104

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
carlos2104 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

Heyward-Bey is not the sort of receiver I would target. He is track speed. I know Heyward-Bey because he is a fellow terp. I would covet guys like Jacoby Ford. His issue is remaining healthy. No one can forecast health and injury. Moore is not that fast but he is ok. I am not saying only focus on speed. Speed is 1 of 3 criteria (speed, quickness, game tape).

When Heyward Bey was drafted, even all the Maryland coaches were shocked. They thought he was going in the third round because he did not run the route tree. He only ran post and seams in college.
I can't argue with that. I'll take quickness over speed, but you're right we do need some speed. Hartline is described as "deceptively fast" but we all know what that translates to. I really hoped Gates would have panned out. Or Ginn.
Russ57

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a "reliable WR" over those other traits. I want to know he is going to be lined up for every game. I want to know he is going to run the routes as he should and break them off when it is called for. I want to know he is going to fight for the ball, prevent interceptions, and not drop balls. I want to know he is going to fight for extra yards, won't fumble or be stripped, and be a willing blocker when required.

I want enough speed to be a threat, especially after the catch. I want enough power to break a tackle. I want to see us move towards more quick slants and WR screens. I want yards after the catch.

Finding good info on YAC is hard but I find it interesting to note that GB beats all other teams with 3 in the top 13.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos2104 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
carlos2104 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

I can't argue with that. I'll take quickness over speed, but you're right we do need some speed. Hartline is described as "deceptively fast" but we all know what that translates to. I really hoped Gates would have panned out. Or Ginn.

Well, everyone here will tell you I have never been a Ginn fan. He is just really soft and lacks quickness. Good straight line speed but that is it. Quickness + speed is what Miami needs at WR. But I am sure they will also target size.
carlos2104

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
carlos2104 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
carlos2104 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

Well, everyone here will tell you I have never been a Ginn fan. He is just really soft and lacks quickness. Good straight line speed but that is it. Quickness + speed is what Miami needs at WR. But I am sure they will also target size.
Oh I remember. and you were 100% right. After Cam drafted him, I tried to get on board. He had really long strides and couldn't change direction. If Bess had 4.4-4.35 speed, he'd be in my eyes.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can say we need to ignore size all we want but understans this the very best WR in this game are all very big WR who can play on the outside.

Vincent jackson
calvin johnson
roddy white
julio jones
demaryius thomas
andre johnson
larry fitz
brandon marshal
dwayne bowe
AJ green

I like Austin alot but not in round 1 he is 5-9 170 if we had a big fast outside guy then i would love austin in bess spot. We would still have redzone problems and someone who cant get deep on the outside. Even victor cruz is 6-0 200 and has hakeem nicks on the outside. Everything i read and see is Austin is more quick then fast he wont get deep like desean jackson.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
We can say we need to ignore size all we want but understans this the very best WR in this game are all very big WR who can play on the outside.

Vincent jackson
calvin johnson
roddy white
julio jones
demaryius thomas
andre johnson
larry fitz
brandon marshal
dwayne bowe
AJ green

I like Austin alot but not in round 1 he is 5-9 170 if we had a big fast outside guy then i would love austin in bess spot. We would still have redzone problems and someone who cant get deep on the outside. Even victor cruz is 6-0 200 and has hakeem nicks on the outside. Everything i read and see is Austin is more quick then fast he wont get deep like desean jackson.

"This offense doesn't need a #1. " - most posters last off-season.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

Vincent jackson
calvin johnson
roddy white
julio jones
demaryius thomas
andre johnson
larry fitz
brandon marshal
dwayne bowe
AJ green

"This offense doesn't need a #1. " - most posters last off-season.
LOL I dont really get caught up in 1 2 or 3 but i do know we need a outside big threat who can score in the redzone beat the top off and run a 7 yard hard slant at will. If we are talking WR in round 1 I hope its Keenen allen 6-3 205 who can line up inside or outside run after catch and score in redzone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: