Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colts Offseason Needs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Colts Offseason Needs Reply with quote

I know it is strange for a Bears fan to start a thread in the Colts forum, but as we meltdown I have started to watch more Colts games with my room mate who is a big fan.

It is tough not to get caught up in the magic that is happening.

What do you guys think are the offseason needs for the Colts heading into the offseason?

How active do you think they can afford to be in the fee agent market?
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me preface this by saying I don't think we will resign Dwight Freeney

Of the players with expiring contracts the top are:
DE/OLB Dwight Freeney
CB Jerraud Powers
P Pat McAfee
DE Fili Moala
WR Donnie Avery
DT Antonio Johnson
I personally believe we should let Powers walk, and make McAfee our #1 priority to resign

Top Needs
OLB
OG
SS
C
DE
CB
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oline and secondary should be biggest priorities. Possibly OLB if Freeney leaves.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
Oline and secondary should be biggest priorities. Possibly OLB if Freeney leaves.

Do you take the play of the following players to mean anything?

-Vaughn and Butler alleviate the pressing need for CB?

-Is Winny Justice a real RT candidate for the future?

Where does NT fit in? I am afraid that these matchups with the Texans are going to expose an inability to control the line of scrimmage.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about Winston Justice also being a free agent. When we traded for him we renegotiated his contract to allow him to be a free agent after 2012 in return to lower his base salary to $1.5 mill

I hope we resign Justice because we need to fix our interior OL before we replace him

I like Darius Butler but not as a starting CB, more in a nickle role. Cassius Vaughn has been verrrrrry inconsistent.

I think I already went through the NT discussion with you.

I agree about the line of scrimmage thing, Luck could really destroy the Texans secondary if he could have more time to allow the WRs to get downfield
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughn isn't inconsistent. He's just bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing much to improve their offense this past off-season I think the Colts need to improve their defense in the off-season this year.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
After doing much to improve their offense this past off-season I think the Colts need to improve their defense in the off-season this year.

Are the Colts in the position where they need to build to beat the texans?

It is like when the Texans where drafting pass rusher after pass rusher to compete with Peyton Manning.

I think the Colts need to build to stop the run.
Mooche

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The selection in the first round has to be a position in the secondary, or a selection along the interior of our offensive line.

I would love to see us grab an impact safety in the first round. I like Matt Elam out of Florida. Fiery, tough, and loves to come up in the box and make plays in the running game. Our play from our SS position has been pretty much absent all year. Zbikowski is absolutely terrible. Lefeged hasn't done much either.

We'll see as things shape up moving towards draft day, but I also do like some linemen from the Crimson Tide. Chance Warmack is a punishing run blocker, and is very agile for a big man. I would be ecstatic if the Colts could nab him, or his teammate Barret Jones who is extremely versatile and can translate to almost every position on the line in the NFL.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooche wrote:
The selection in the first round has to be a position in the secondary, or a selection along the interior of our offensive line.

I would love to see us grab an impact safety in the first round. I like Matt Elam out of Florida. Fiery, tough, and loves to come up in the box and make plays in the running game. Our play from our SS position has been pretty much absent all year. Zbikowski is absolutely terrible. Lefeged hasn't done much either.

We'll see as things shape up moving towards draft day, but I also do like some linemen from the Crimson Tide. Chance Warmack is a punishing run blocker, and is very agile for a big man. I would be ecstatic if the Colts could nab him, or his teammate Barret Jones who is extremely versatile and can translate to almost every position on the line in the NFL.

Would you be upset of they went NT in round 1?

A guy like Louis Nix could give them a cornerstone player to build the defense out from.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Big Offseason Questions Facing the Colts

1. Who do you replace Bruce Arians with if he gets a head coaching job?

With up to 10-11 openings in the league I would be shocked if Arians was not given a head coaching job somewhere in the NFL.

*My first choice would be anyone off of Green Bay's or New Orleans staffs. Tom Clements the QB Coach for the Packers would maintain the vertical passing game.

2. Where do you spend the money that is coming back into the cap after a ton of dead money this season?

The Colts have money to spend and they have probably realized that this is not a long term rebuild and that they can be competitive right now.

*The Colts are riding high on momentum and a good core of guys, but they lack true star players and I think this money could be used on STARS. Mike Wallace would be an example of a player that raises tha talent level of the team significantly and would provide a true outside deep threat who is only 26.

3. How do you put the teeth back into the defense as has been mentioned by coach Pagano?

It is clear that Dwight Freeney is not going to be back and outside of Redding I do not think anyone on the DL strikes fear into opponents. The Colts could use upgrades at a number of positions on defense.

*I think 1 free agent and the 1st round pick should be invested in the front 7 as the Colts need to compete with Houston and their good OL.

4. Are Cassius Vaugh, Darius Butler, Vontae Davis and Jeraud Powers, if he is re-signed, good enough at CB for this defense to be successful?

One position that has a number of interesting, but not consistent, players that could either make this a major need or a solid position.

*I would take a long hard look at a mid tier CB free agent to start next to Davis [Cary Williams] and move Butler to the NB position.

5. Can the Colts afford to upgrade the interior of the OL?

It is clear that No one on the interior OL is getting ready for the Pro Bowl and Joe Rietz cannot stay healthy.

*I think that the Colts look at mid-tier free agent pick ups that can compete and create depth outside of A.Q Shipley. The Colts can also add competition through later round picks.
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'd have to see who's on the market first. I'm not too infatuated with Arians so far, his playcalling has been rather weak, so there's a good chance whoever we hire will be an upgrade.

2. All on the secondary and the OL. Cassius Vaughn and Darius Butler shouldn't be starting week in and week out. We'll likely let go of Powers, so another CB besides Vontae Davis is a must. I don't know about Zbikowski's contract situation, but if we can improve there we should as well. Bethea needs a better supporting cast around him.

3. It's already in the process of happening. With the switch to the 3-4, we're parting with the small, fast, fly to the ball types, and we're switching them with bigger, stronger, more fearsome beastmen. God I'm wetting myself at the thought of all that cap money...

4. Vontae might be, as for the others, they should be nickel and dime CBs at best. Powers won't be resigned.

5. Yes, and hopefully we will.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Mooche wrote:

Would you be upset of they went NT in round 1?

A guy like Louis Nix could give them a cornerstone player to build the defense out from.

I wouldn't be terribly mad.

Let's look at a successful 34 defense in the Steelers. They have always had that interior nuisance for offenses in Casey Hampton. He would demand blocks inside, and this would allow for their linebackers to make plays all over the field. An unsung hero in the middle of our defense is absolutely vital.

However, I'm not ready to give up hope on Josh Chapman yet, from the Crimson Tide. He is coming over some injury concerns obviously, but man, that guy is strong and vicious at the point of attack. At Alabama he was in his natural position, and that was NT. If he can stay healthy, he translates perfectly into what the Colts are trying to do on defense.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
1. I'd have to see who's on the market first. I'm not too infatuated with Arians so far, his playcalling has been rather weak, so there's a good chance whoever we hire will be an upgrade.

2. All on the secondary and the OL. Cassius Vaughn and Darius Butler shouldn't be starting week in and week out. We'll likely let go of Powers, so another CB besides Vontae Davis is a must. I don't know about Zbikowski's contract situation, but if we can improve there we should as well. Bethea needs a better supporting cast around him.

3. It's already in the process of happening. With the switch to the 3-4, we're parting with the small, fast, fly to the ball types, and we're switching them with bigger, stronger, more fearsome beastmen. God I'm wetting myself at the thought of all that cap money...

4. Vontae might be, as for the others, they should be nickel and dime CBs at best. Powers won't be resigned.

5. Yes, and hopefully we will.

Can you imagine Dashon Goldson in the secondary?

I would take a long look at

S Dashon Goldson
OG Andy Levitre
OLB Anthony Spencer
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldson Shocked

Isn't he a FS though? We need a SS, we already gots Antoine Bethea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: