Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

[RPM's] "Beast" Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: [RPM's] "Beast" Mock Reply with quote

~*Vikings finish the season 8-8 and miss out on the playoffs; which, given last yearís draft, could slot them anywhere from 13-19 in the draft. We will just cut it in half and say the Vikings end up with the 16th pick.*~

~*There are no major coaching changes, but Frazier is allowed to make a new hire. Jim Chaney is hired to work with Bill Musgrave and be the teamís passing game coordinator. Chaney has a long resume; most recently he was the offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Volunteers. Prior the that he was an offensive assistant with the Rams, and served as Purdueís offensive coordinator from 1997-2005; during that time period the Boilermakers led the Big 10 in passing 5 times, and total offense 3 times.*~

In House Moves

John Carlson - Cut
Michael Jenkins - Restructured deal (solid veteran receiver that can move the chains)
Charlie Johnson - Restructured deal (solid swing-type lineman)

Not Returning

Devin Aromashodu - WR
Joe Berger - C
Erin Henderson - LB
Jerome Simpson - WR

Free Agent Signings
Jasper Brinkley - LB
Jerome Felton - FB
AJ Jefferson - CB (RFA)
Phil Loadholt - RT
Marvin Mitchell - LB (Solid special teamer, able to play Mike and Will)
Jamarca Sanford - S
Geoff Schwartz - OL (Starting RG opening day)
Andrew Sendejo - S (RFA, Camp Body)
Marcus Sherels - CB (ERFA)
Kevin Williams - DT (letting him go would weaken an already weak group)

Jon Beason - LB (Cut by Panthers)
Greg Jennings - WR
Terrance Knighton - DT
Matt Moore - QB

The Draft

*1 - Cordarelle Patterson - WR - (Tennessee)
2(a) - TJ McDonald - S - (Southern Cal)
*2(b) - Larry Warford - G - (Kentucky)
**3 - Jordan Reed - TE - (Florida)
4(a) - Adrian Bushell - CB - (Louisville)
4(b) - Abry Jones - DT - (Georgia)
5 - Theo Riddick - RB - (Notre Dame)
6 - Kenneth Tate - LB - (Maryland)

* - Vikings send their first rounder to a team with a mid 20ís pick for their 1st and 2nd
** - Vikings send their third and early 6th rounder to a team to move up in the 3rd round

Gameday Active Roster

* = Free Agent New to Team
** = Draft Pick

QB - Christian Ponder - Matt Moore*
RB - Adrian Peterson - Toby Gerhart - Theo Riddick**
FB - Jerome Felton
TE - Kyle Rudolph - Rhett Ellison - Jordan Reed**
X - Cordarelle Patterson** - Michael Jenkins
Z - Greg Jennings*
R - Percy Harvin - Jarius Wright
OT - Matt Kalil - Phil Loadholt
OG - Larry Warford** - Geoff Schwartz
OC - John Sullivan
OL - Charlie Johnson - Brandon Fusco

DE - Jared Allen - Brian Robison
DT - Kevin Williams - Terrance Knighton*
DL - Everson Griffen - Fred Evans - Christian Ballard
WB - Marvin Mitchell
MB - Jon Beason*
SB - Chad Greenway
LB - Jasper Brinkley - Larry Dean - Audie Cole
RC - Chris Cook
LC - Josh Robinson
NC - Antoine Winfield
FS - TJ McDonald**
SS - Harrison Smith
DB - AJ Jefferson - Mistral Raymond - Jamarca Sanford - Marcus Sherels

SP - Blair Walsh - Chris Kluwe - Cullen Loeffler

INACTIVE - Joe Webb/McLeod Bethel Thompson (QB) - DeMarcus Love (OL) - Abry Jones** (DL), DíAundre Reed (DE), Kenneth Tate (LB), Adrian Bushell** (CB), Robert Blanton (DB)

PUP - Greg Childs (WR) -

Camp Cuts - Andrew Sendejo (S) - Brandon Burton (CB) - Letroy Guion (DT) - Mark Asper (OL) - Tyrone McKenzie (LB) - Stephen Burton (WR) - Matt Asiata (RB)

2013 Season Outlook

Offense
2013 will be Christian Ponderís last shot to try and prove he can be an effective QB in the NFL, but the Vikings canít just give him the job and not have a backup plan. In comes veteran QB Matt Moore. Moore is an effective game manager and thrives in play action situations. Adrian Peterson returns as the starting running back coming back from his best season ever. To make sure that Christian Ponder has every chance to succeed, and no excuses, the Vikings go out and vastly improve their receiving core in the offseason. They bring in veteran wide receiver Greg Jennings to be the teams starting flanker. Jennings with be 30 years old next year, but the veteran receiver is the type that can play into his 30ís as he relies on superb route running to create separation. After trading back in the first round the Vikings also selected Cordarelle Patterson. Patterson led the Vols with 10 total touchdowns this year, and was the most explosive player on the team. After DaíRick Rogers was kicked off the team, Patterson become the Vols starting split end and put up very good numbers. Heís a bit raw, but he has everything you look for in a number one wide receiver. With the latter of two second pick the Vikings select mammoth guard Larry Warford out of Kentucky. Warford is a mauler in the run game, a solid pass protector, and will start next to Matt Kalil from day one. The Vikes then traded up in the third round to secure the services of QB-turned-TE Jordan Reed from Florida. Heís a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses as has been studying under former Gator, now Patriot, Aaron Hernandez.

Defense
The Vikings had very specific needs entering the 2013 offseason and could have filled them all. They were able to add an elite piece to their defense in the form of Jon Beason. Beason had injury issues in 2011 and 2012. Under new management the Panthers asked Beason to renegotiate his two-year-old deal, and move outside due to rookie Luke Kuechlyís success, but that star linebacker refused both. Unable to afford trading him and taking a $12M cap hit the Panthers cut the three-time Pro Bowler allowing the Vikings to scoop him up. The Vikings also bring in embattled nose tackle Terrance Knighton. Knighton lost his starting spot early in 2012 and has had a history of not having his head in the game. The Vikes take a risk with Knighton, because, when he is on, heís one of the premier run stuffer 4-3 NTís. In the second round of the draft the Vikings added another playmaker to their secondary in the form of safety TJ McDonald from USC. The talented Trojan with an NFL pedigree slots in next to second year stud Harrison Smith after having a revolving door in that position last year. The Vikings also added a pair of defenders in the 4th round in defensive lineman Abry Jones and cornerback Adrian Bushell to provide the team options when Kevin Williams and Antoine Winfield finally hang up their cleats.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: [RPM's] "Beast" Mock Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
~*Vikings finish the season 8-8 and miss out on the playoffs; which, given last yearís draft, could slot them anywhere from 13-19 in the draft. We will just cut it in half and say the Vikings end up with the 16th pick.*~

~*There are no major coaching changes, but Frazier is allowed to make a new hire. Jim Chaney is hired to work with Bill Musgrave and be the teamís passing game coordinator. Chaney has a long resume; most recently he was the offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Volunteers. Prior the that he was an offensive assistant with the Rams, and served as Purdueís offensive coordinator from 1997-2005; during that time period the Boilermakers led the Big 10 in passing 5 times, and total offense 3 times.*~

In House Moves

John Carlson - Cut
Michael Jenkins - Restructured deal (solid veteran receiver that can move the chains)
Charlie Johnson - Restructured deal (solid swing-type lineman)

Not Returning

Devin Aromashodu - WR
Joe Berger - C
Erin Henderson - LB
Jerome Simpson - WR

Free Agent Signings
Jasper Brinkley - LB
Jerome Felton - FB
AJ Jefferson - CB (RFA)
Phil Loadholt - RT
Marvin Mitchell - LB (Solid special teamer, able to play Mike and Will)
Jamarca Sanford - S
Geoff Schwartz - OL (Starting RG opening day)
Andrew Sendejo - S (RFA, Camp Body)
Marcus Sherels - CB (ERFA)
Kevin Williams - DT (letting him go would weaken an already weak group)

Jon Beason - LB (Cut by Panthers)
Greg Jennings - WR
Terrance Knighton - DT
Matt Moore - QB

The Draft

*1 - Cordarelle Patterson - WR - (Tennessee)
2(a) - TJ McDonald - S - (Southern Cal)
*2(b) - Larry Warford - G - (Kentucky)
**3 - Jordan Reed - TE - (Florida)
4(a) - Adrian Bushell - CB - (Louisville)
4(b) - Abry Jones - DT - (Georgia)
5 - Theo Riddick - RB - (Notre Dame)
6 - Kenneth Tate - LB - (Maryland)

* - Vikings send their first rounder to a team with a mid 20ís pick for their 1st and 2nd
** - Vikings send their third and early 6th rounder to a team to move up in the 3rd round

Gameday Active Roster

* = Free Agent New to Team
** = Draft Pick

QB - Christian Ponder - Matt Moore*
RB - Adrian Peterson - Toby Gerhart - Theo Riddick**
FB - Jerome Felton
TE - Kyle Rudolph - Rhett Ellison - Jordan Reed**
X - Cordarelle Patterson** - Michael Jenkins
Z - Greg Jennings*
R - Percy Harvin - Jarius Wright
OT - Matt Kalil - Phil Loadholt
OG - Larry Warford** - Geoff Schwartz
OC - John Sullivan
OL - Charlie Johnson - Brandon Fusco

DE - Jared Allen - Brian Robison
DT - Kevin Williams - Terrance Knighton*
DL - Everson Griffen - Fred Evans - Christian Ballard
WB - Marvin Mitchell
MB - Jon Beason*
SB - Chad Greenway
LB - Jasper Brinkley - Larry Dean - Audie Cole
RC - Chris Cook
LC - Josh Robinson
NC - Antoine Winfield
FS - TJ McDonald**
SS - Harrison Smith
DB - AJ Jefferson - Mistral Raymond - Jamarca Sanford - Marcus Sherels

SP - Blair Walsh - Chris Kluwe - Cullen Loeffler

INACTIVE - Joe Webb/McLeod Bethel Thompson (QB) - DeMarcus Love (OL) - Abry Jones** (DL), DíAundre Reed (DE), Kenneth Tate (LB), Adrian Bushell** (CB), Robert Blanton (DB)

PUP - Greg Childs (WR) -

Camp Cuts - Andrew Sendejo (S) - Brandon Burton (CB) - Letroy Guion (DT) - Mark Asper (OL) - Tyrone McKenzie (LB) - Stephen Burton (WR) - Matt Asiata (RB)

2013 Season Outlook

Offense
2013 will be Christian Ponderís last shot to try and prove he can be an effective QB in the NFL, but the Vikings canít just give him the job and not have a backup plan. In comes veteran QB Matt Moore. Moore is an effective game manager and thrives in play action situations. Adrian Peterson returns as the starting running back coming back from his best season ever. To make sure that Christian Ponder has every chance to succeed, and no excuses, the Vikings go out and vastly improve their receiving core in the offseason. They bring in veteran wide receiver Greg Jennings to be the teams starting flanker. Jennings with be 30 years old next year, but the veteran receiver is the type that can play into his 30ís as he relies on superb route running to create separation. After trading back in the first round the Vikings also selected Cordarelle Patterson. Patterson led the Vols with 10 total touchdowns this year, and was the most explosive player on the team. After DaíRick Rogers was kicked off the team, Patterson become the Vols starting split end and put up very good numbers. Heís a bit raw, but he has everything you look for in a number one wide receiver. With the latter of two second pick the Vikings select mammoth guard Larry Warford out of Kentucky. Warford is a mauler in the run game, a solid pass protector, and will start next to Matt Kalil from day one. The Vikes then traded up in the third round to secure the services of QB-turned-TE Jordan Reed from Florida. Heís a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses as has been studying under former Gator, now Patriot, Aaron Hernandez.

Defense
The Vikings had very specific needs entering the 2013 offseason and could have filled them all. They were able to add an elite piece to their defense in the form of Jon Beason. Beason had injury issues in 2011 and 2012. Under new management the Panthers asked Beason to renegotiate his two-year-old deal, and move outside due to rookie Luke Kuechlyís success, but that star linebacker refused both. Unable to afford trading him and taking a $12M cap hit the Panthers cut the three-time Pro Bowler allowing the Vikings to scoop him up. The Vikings also bring in embattled nose tackle Terrance Knighton. Knighton lost his starting spot early in 2012 and has had a history of not having his head in the game. The Vikes take a risk with Knighton, because, when he is on, heís one of the premier run stuffer 4-3 NTís. In the second round of the draft the Vikings added another playmaker to their secondary in the form of safety TJ McDonald from USC. The talented Trojan with an NFL pedigree slots in next to second year stud Harrison Smith after having a revolving door in that position last year. The Vikings also added a pair of defenders in the 4th round in defensive lineman Abry Jones and cornerback Adrian Bushell to provide the team options when Kevin Williams and Antoine Winfield finally hang up their cleats.

Solid Mock!!! Do you really think Beason will get cut?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jumped over to the Panther's forum and they are saying it's a possibility. They have a lot of cap tied up in the LB position and Luke Kuechly has been amazing in the middle this year.

Both he and Beason play best when in the middle, Thomas Davis is a team favorite and has done a great job on the weak side this year while staying healthy. . Then they have James Anderson as their Sam and he's their steady eddy.

They don't see a way for all four linebackers to see enough playing time to warrant paying all of them with so many other needs on the team. Regardless they are going to take a cap hit if they cut or trade him.

I could easily see new management wanting him to restructure and him saying no. I do think they will try and trade him first though, but with only playing 5 games the past two years and his salary it would be a tough thing. If it were a trade I would offer something along the lines of a third rounder and a conditional 2014 2nd rounder based on games played.

2013 Cap Hits
Jon Beason - 9.5M
Thomas Davis - ~4M
James Anderson 4.4M
Luke Kuechly ~2.85M
Swaps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Vikingsnewcoach" Did you need to quote the ENTIRE post in your reply?

Also, very solid and well though out mock. I love the Beason pick up. I don't know if Jennings will come here, though. We'll have to show him a lot of money to come into a rebuilding situation with a questionable quarterback.

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ McDonald is nothing special and neither are his stats. Robert Lester 14INTS or Baccari Rambo 16INTS both better prospect. Vikings need a ball hawk and McDonald, 8INTS is not that. Lester in one year had the same amount of interceptions McDonald has had in his entire year. McDonald is another overhyped USC safety like Taylor Mays. Big with slow hips. I don't like picking up 29 year old Greg Jennings. He is more of a product of great QB play and it's very unrealistic the Vikings will get him. Jennings is going to be asking for a bunch of money he's not worth, if you're going to spend money just get Dwayne Bowe. Younger and a way better WR.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no way do we have enough cap space to sin Beason and Bowe. Jennings may be asking for a lot of money but as a 30 year old coming off and injury riddled season he's not going to get a huge payday. However, you could be correct that he wouldn't want to come to Minnesota.

The Vikings don't need a ball hawking safety the way we have our guys play the position. TJ McDonald has good physical tools and has played in a cover2 type defense at USC. I was debating between him and Kenny Vaccaro for the pick and decided that TJs experience in the cover2 defense was the deciding factor.
this providence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the above in not caring for McDonald as prospect.

Given the way you've addressed many areas on this team in this mock, I'd probably be looking at a player like Desmond Trufant in that range for that 2nd round pick as he would project to a more prototypical shut down corner opposite Cook, while Robison moves inside when Winfield inevitably moves on. And I probably wouldn't be opposed to taking a flier on Landry Jones or Tyler Bray either. But I'm likely in the minority given it's a valuable 2nd round pick and all...

Never the less, I like it outside of McDonald. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying to decide of a WR pick for this mock I watch as much as I could on all three Tennessee receivers and I absolutely hated every thing I saw out of Tyler Bray. Smile

Thank you guys for the comments McDonald. I've watched pretty much every game in his career and all I've seen is a guy that has a nose for the ball and is physical enough to matchup or jump with a tight end/taller receiver if you ask him too
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
When trying to decide of a WR pick for this mock I watch as much as I could on all three Tennessee receivers and I absolutely hated every thing I saw out of Tyler Bray. Smile

Thank you guys for the comments McDonald. I've watched pretty much every game in his career and all I've seen is a guy that has a nose for the ball and is physical enough to matchup or jump with a tight end/taller receiver if you ask him too

WR Da'Rick Rogers is my favorite out of the 3. Very rarely do you find guys with his speed/size ratio and toughness. Rogers doesnt like going down fter he first hit. his style of play is very similar to AP's, regarding toughness. Rogers and Peterson will give the offense as a whole a tough guy mentality. I like Patterson but he is just a bigger Percy Harvin. Our OC already had problem utilizing Percy another Percy-like player would probably make hs head explode. A prospect I really like if he declares is WR Brandon Coleman, from Rutgers. You should check him out. As far as safety I think we'll roll with the current roster. No additions in he draft or via FA. I really hope the Vikings drop OL Charlie Johnson and pick up OG Kraig Urbik from Buffalo to start a G. I really really like the addition of DT Terrance Knighton. I say we clean out all the WRs not named Percy, Jarius, or Jerome.

My ideal Vikings draft:
1st- ILB Alec Ogletree UGA
2nd- WR Da'Rick Rogers TTU
3rd- OLB Arthur Brown KSU
4th- WR Brandon Coleman RUT
4th- OT Kyle Long ORE
5th- CB Darius Slay MSU
6th- DE Dominique Easley UF
6th- RB Christian Thimpson FSU
skywindO2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Matt Moore as a veteran QB/insurance option. I'd rather see a DT earlier in the draft too.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
I say we clean out all the WRs not named Percy, Jarius, or Jerome.

Jerome should not be back next year. Michael Jenkins deserves to stay over him as long as he takes a pay cut.

I'm personally just not a fan of Rogers. On the field I like him better than Justin Hunter because of his physicality but he (to a lesser extent), Justin Hunter, and Keenan Allen like to body catch a lot.

Hunter and Allen also play a lot out of the slot from what I've seen. What I like most about Patterson is that he spent almost all his time at the X receiver spot.

He's also the most explosive out of the three scoring touchdowns on reverses, punts, and kicks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: