Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Opinions on a couple of pending Arizona Free Agents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Opinions on a couple of pending Arizona Free Agents Reply with quote

What can you guys tell me about the following pending free agents?

Quentin Groves
Nick Eason
Paris Lenon
Greg Toler
Rashad Johnson

Obviously I am not looking at them as impact players but more as potential depth/rotational free agents.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a couple of pending Arizona Free Agents Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:

Quentin Groves
Nick Eason
Paris Lenon
Greg Toler
Rashad Johnson

Obviously I am not looking at them as impact players but more as potential depth/rotational free agents.

1 - ST'er and Situational pass rusher who has been forced to start, is an explosive player, but still pretty raw despite his time in the league. I would love to keep him around as depth.

2 - Older guy, very experienced in this style of a 34. Has played both end spots and the nose for us. IS capable of playing very well in short stints, is the 6th man in our DL rotation, though is the #2 nose.

3 - Heady player who has many flaws to his game. Calls the defense, is an incredibly hard worker, misses too many tackles, liability in the run game and struggles at time for consistency in pass coverage.

4 - Outside corner with plenty of flaws. Athletic and older after coming into the league at 25. Still has an abundance of technique issues that lead to him struggling to stay with his man in man coverage when asked to do that and tends to lack awareness in zone coverage. Not a great player on special teams either.

5 - Big hitter who has come on in leaps and bounds in coverage this season. Would love for Rashad to be back here. He has played a lot in combination with James Sanders as a spell guy for Adrian Wilson. Have not seen him blow coverages yet (Though not a huge snap count), seems to have finally clicked in the pro game after being a 3rd round pick from Alabama.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a couple of pending Arizona Free Agents Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

Quentin Groves
Nick Eason
Paris Lenon
Greg Toler
Rashad Johnson

1 - ST'er and Situational pass rusher who has been forced to start, is an explosive player, but still pretty raw despite his time in the league. I would love to keep him around as depth.

2 - Older guy, very experienced in this style of a 34. Has played both end spots and the nose for us. IS capable of playing very well in short stints, is the 6th man in our DL rotation, though is the #2 nose.

3 - Heady player who has many flaws to his game. Calls the defense, is an incredibly hard worker, misses too many tackles, liability in the run game and struggles at time for consistency in pass coverage.

4 - Outside corner with plenty of flaws. Athletic and older after coming into the league at 25. Still has an abundance of technique issues that lead to him struggling to stay with his man in man coverage when asked to do that and tends to lack awareness in zone coverage. Not a great player on special teams either.

5 - Big hitter who has come on in leaps and bounds in coverage this season. Would love for Rashad to be back here. He has played a lot in combination with James Sanders as a spell guy for Adrian Wilson. Have not seen him blow coverages yet (Though not a huge snap count), seems to have finally clicked in the pro game after being a 3rd round pick from Alabama.

Excellent feedback! It is much appreciated.

I see Groves as a quality rotational player that could provide some pass rush in defensive packages that use him in a limited role as primarily a pass rusher. We deperately need some depth behind Justin Houston and Tamba Hali and I wouldn't mind giving either player a breather here and there by having Groves come in.

We are likely going to let Glenn Dorsey walk and it is hard to imagine Tyson Jackson playing in 2013 under his current contract (just over $17.2 million cap charge). Ropati Pitoitua is a free agent (whom I would like to bring back if the price is right). Allen Bailey hasn't developed much to this point. Shaun Smith is a Crennel favorite, but doesn't offer much when on the field. Jerrell Powe is Dontari Poe's primary backup at nose tackle. Anthony Toribio is a RFA, who I would like to see back. I see Eason as a versatile veteran depth player and possibly a much better version of Shaun Smith.

With Kendrick Lewis missing time with injuries last year and this year, I think we need to bring in some competition and at a minimum some good depth. We don't have much in the way of depth as Abram Elam has struggled. We do have a developmental safety in Tysyn Hartman, but he is far from a sure thing. Johnson could provide us with legitimate competition for Lewis.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khodder pretty much nailed it all.

I sure wouldn't mind having Grosves back next year, even though we likely need to add another front line OLB.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Khodder pretty much nailed it all.

I sure wouldn't mind having Grosves back next year, even though we likely need to add another front line OLB.

I would say it's nearly critical to bring him back with Schofield coming off another injury.

Acho is the only sure thing for next year. Groves may be undisciplined at times, but he's aggresive and can get after the QB.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Groves back next year as well. He is a solid backup.

Justo on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: