Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL to consider expanding the playoffs to 14 or 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the great Deion Sanders once sang...."Must be the mooooneyyyy!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJWSm13LBh8

Last edited by FirstDownFaulk on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerspower wrote:
I'm speechless right now.....It's stupid to reward the mediocrity

I hate so much Goodell, who not stopped to want to change the game

I'm glad that many begin to realize that Goodell is an idiot and he thinks only about money

It's so hard to get a read on you.

English not a first language?

Poor language skills?

Posting from phone?

10 years old?

I can't quite pinpoint it.

I'm not trying to insult you, i'm honestly just curious.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

I'm glad that many begin to realize that Goodell is an idiot and he thinks only about money

Poor language skills?

Posting from phone?

10 years old?

english is not my first language

Ok,back on the thread,please

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

Poor language skills?

Posting from phone?

10 years old?

I've been wondering the same thing and I was pretty close to being the "Richard" and pose the question....

Not that it matters, but I've always been curious...

nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

Poor language skills?

Posting from phone?

10 years old?

I've been wondering the same thing and I was pretty close to being the "Richard" and pose the question....

Not that it matters, but I've always been curious...

Me too

I've just been curious.

No dis meant.

back to the thread...

Steelers, read my post form last page. Goodell just doesn't just throw these ideas out randomly. He's not just concerned about the NFL making money.

He is concerned with following the wishes of his bosses, the NFL owners. They ARE concerned with the NFL making money.

You wanna hate on someone, hate on the Owners. It's their doing with the new rules, fines, new ideas, etc...

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
mco65

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expanding the NFL playoffs is actually over due. I know most of you probably don't remember but when the NFL expanded the playoffs from 10-12 teams in 1989, I heard the same arguments about watering down the playoffs and making more regular season games meaningless. Now, 20 years later those arguments seem silly as its the greatest format of all time.. I also remember when the NFL expanded from 8 - 10 teams in 1978 and you guessed it.. I heard the same arguments. too many teams, blah blah blah.. I don't remember when the NFL expanded from 4-8 in 1966 (actually this was 2-4 for the NFL and 2-4 for the AFL) I am not that old..

I don't have a problem with the NFL going from 12-16 teams. Sure you are gonna get a few teams in that have 8-8 records or a 7-9 record every year but that doesn't mean they are really bad teams.. You certainly NOT watering down the regular season.. more teams will have more games mean something at the end of the season by adding those 4 teams.. as it is now, more than half the league is simply playing out the schedule by week 14.. that wont be the case if they add 2 teams per conference.

Adding 2 playoff teams per conference and getting rid of the bye weeks for the top 2 seeds is a best idea, IMO.. The top seeds will be playing the 8th seed and theoretically this is simply a tune up and most fans would certainly love to see their favorite team win a playoff game...

Look at it this way.. assuming the Falcons get the top seed in the NFC, would Falcons fans rather wait a week to play the 4th, 5th or 6th seed or would they rather play that 1st weekend vs the 8th seed??? I know what Falcons fans from 2010 would say..
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Expanding the NFL playoffs is actually over due. I know most of you probably don't remember but when the NFL expanded the playoffs from 10-12 teams in 1989, I heard the same arguments about watering down the playoffs and making more regular season games meaningless. Now, 20 years later those arguments seem silly as its the greatest format of all time.. I also remember when the NFL expanded from 8 - 10 teams in 1978 and you guessed it.. I heard the same arguments. too many teams, blah blah blah.. I don't remember when the NFL expanded from 4-8 in 1966 (actually this was 2-4 for the NFL and 2-4 for the AFL) I am not that old..

I don't have a problem with the NFL going from 12-16 teams. Sure you are gonna get a few teams in that have 8-8 records or a 7-9 record every year but that doesn't mean they are really bad teams.. You certainly NOT watering down the regular season.. more teams will have more games mean something at the end of the season by adding those 4 teams.. as it is now, more than half the league is simply playing out the schedule by week 14.. that wont be the case if they add 2 teams per conference.

Adding 2 playoff teams per conference and getting rid of the bye weeks for the top 2 seeds is a best idea, IMO.. The top seeds will be playing the 8th seed and theoretically this is simply a tune up and most fans would certainly love to see their favorite team win a playoff game...

Look at it this way.. assuming the Falcons get the top seed in the NFC, would Falcons fans rather wait a week to play the 4th, 5th or 6th seed or would they rather play that 1st weekend vs the 8th seed??? I know what Falcons fans from 2010 would say..

Not agreeing or disagreeing with any of the points you made, but in regards to the bolded. Why the hell would any team not want a bye week? So they can say they got a win in the playoffs? That's just a horrible example to use as justification, imo. Because outside of getting a win, you're still ultimately going to be playing the 4th or 5th seed the following week (if you win), but this time you're going to be doing it without having rested your players for a week. Also, you risk injury playing that opening game, so what happens when your team is now both tired and injured going into that matchup with the 4th or 5th seed? Just a really bad example to use.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Plush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reward mediocrity? Seems people need a reality check. A solid team misses the playoffs every year, in both conferences. Your record isn always a good indicator of your talent or competitiveness, not every team plays each other. I also dislike the saying "you are what your record says you are". That's ridiculous, there are two near-perfect teams from the last 5 years that failed to win a championship...one got manhandled in the first round.

If these teams are mediocre, handle Your business and coast to the next round

I like the 14 team idea. Only one out of the vikings redskins cowboys and bucs will make the playoffs this year. Don't tell me these aren't competitive teams
lionslicer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 teams? Go up to 24, make it easier on themselves when making the schedule.

8 division winners get a bye week, 16 wild card teams.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate it. Simple as that.

Kempes on the custom sig!
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adding another wild card wouldn't be that big of a difference.

2 extra playoff games each year.
2 teams get byes rather than 4.

Still will almost always get teams at 9-7 or better for the final spot.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine this scenario: your team goes 15-1, but instead of getting a bye week (which 1/2 seeds really deserve IMO) you have to prepare to play the 6/10 Also Rans who came third in a mediocre division.

So...you have to play a far inferior team and on the first snap your star QB goes down with a broken arm. Your goes in back-up loses a close game 24-21 and your season is over.

The Also-Rans go on to get their butts kicked 41-13 by the 12-4 Guys that your team beat by 10 points in the regular season.

Your QBs arms heals slowly and he's not back in time for the next season, your back-up gets you in an 0-4 hole that you don't quite get out of, missing the play-offs at 8-8 to the Also Rans who improved to 9-7.

Hellish idea.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 58 Yards: 812 TDs: 9
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how it would breakdown going back a few years:
2 more teams: Eagles/Cowboys/Bears/Cardinals @ 8-8, Titans @ 9-7
4 more teams: one of above, Jets/Chargers/Raiders @ 8-8

2 more teams: Bucs/Giants @ 10-6, Chargers @ 9-7
4 more teams: Bucs/Giants, Raiders/Jags @ 8-8

2 more teams: Falcons @ 9-7, Texans/Steelers @ 9-7
4 more teams: Giants/Panthers/49ers @ 8-8, Texans/Steelers

2 more teams: Cowboys/Bears/Bucs @ 9-7, Patriots @ 11-5
4 more teams: Cowboys/Bears/Bucs, Jets @ 9-7

2 more teams: Eagles/Vikings/Cardinals @ 8-8, Browns @ 10-6
4 more teams: E/V/C, Texans @ 8-8

I wouldn't really have any issue with it. Would prefer they still let the best team in each conference have a bye, however. Expanding it to 14 teams will still almost always have teams @9-7 or better. And 9-7 teams win Super Bowls.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Imagine this scenario: your team goes 15-1, but instead of getting a bye week (which 1/2 seeds really deserve IMO) you have to prepare to play the 6/10 Also Rans who came third in a mediocre division.

So...you have to play a far inferior team and on the first snap your star QB goes down with a broken arm. Your goes in back-up loses a close game 24-21 and your season is over.

The Also-Rans go on to get their butts kicked 41-13 by the 12-4 Guys that your team beat by 10 points in the regular season.

Your QBs arms heals slowly and he's not back in time for the next season, your back-up gets you in an 0-4 hole that you don't quite get out of, missing the play-offs at 8-8 to the Also Rans who improved to 9-7.

Hellish idea.

You forgot the part where the team bus gets hit by lightning and everyone dies. Which is a shame because it's equally as likely.
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, anyone posting that this is all about money, etc. needs to slap themselves. The NFL is a business and it's Goodell's job to make it as financially successful as possible and entertaining any and all ideas to make more profit should not be a surprise to anyone.

Second, I'm not outright opposed to adding two wild card teams to each conference, but if this were to ever happen any talk of an 18-game regular season should die and vice-versa.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: