Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL to consider expanding the playoffs to 14 or 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it may be statistically impossible for a 6 win team to be in the top 8 in a conference
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good. I'd like this and 18 games seasons. Cool

Sig bet
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerspower wrote:
I'm speechless right now.....It's stupid to reward the mediocrity

I hate so much Goodell, who not stopped to want to change the game

I'm glad that many begin to realize that Goodell is an idiot and he thinks only about money
Lets get rid of the draft and salary cap then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plush wrote:
I believe it may be statistically impossible for a 6 win team to be in the top 8 in a conference

well that's just not true at all.

You could have a 1-win team win a division.
lionslicer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:
I'm speechless right now.....It's stupid to reward the mediocrity

I hate so much Goodell, who not stopped to want to change the game

I'm glad that many begin to realize that Goodell is an idiot and he thinks only about money
Lets get rid of the draft and salary cap then.

Nah, just the last 4 rounds.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConvenientTruth wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
I used to defend Goodell, but now it's pretty obvious that all he cares about is...

Literally his only job is to make money for his bosses. I'm not sure why this is news to anyone.

Because his job is TECHNICALLY suppose to be to run the ENTIRE league and have EVERYONES best interest at heart and to keep the integrity of the league in tact. This does NONE of that
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
ConvenientTruth wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
I used to defend Goodell, but now it's pretty obvious that all he cares about is...

Literally his only job is to make money for his bosses. I'm not sure why this is news to anyone.

Because his job is TECHNICALLY suppose to be to run the ENTIRE league and have EVERYONES best interest at heart and to keep the integrity of the league in tact. This does NONE of that
No his job is to do whatever the owners want then take the blame.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL is business first.

People need to accept this. I have.

So if 18 game seasons and 16 teams in the playoffs means more $$$, it shall be done.

But I agree that expansion in the league would be the best way to go and teams need to still have BYEs, even if it's only 1 team per conference.

So expand to 36 teams (4) and get 14 playoff teams, fine.
ddog619

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withmy89vision wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Jeez 16 teams. Brings to meaning to playoffs, they really dont mean anything. I think its ideal the way it is. 4 division champs / 2 wild cards. I dont mind change, but not this.

Agreed. This is one place where the NFL has it down as right as they can. Maybe some seeding issues, or issues with bad division winners taking a spot from a better team in a division that has been won by someone else 2008 Pats come to mind) but net/net, it's better than any other league.

Don't try to fix what ain't broke.

This. That is the reason why the NHL and NBA seasons are meaningless. You also lose the appeal to weeks 15-17 when everyone with marginal talent makes the playoffs.

NHL and NBA seasons aren't meaningless. So false. Sure over half the league makes the playofs but at least you got best teams winning. I can't say the same for NFL.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
ConvenientTruth wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

Since when? You are aware that a CEO's primary loyalty (as well as his secondary loyalty) lies with the parent company and the Board of Directors who appointed him. In this case the BoD is the owners. Thus Goodell's primary objective is the maximize the profits for ownership. If they want to do so at the expense of the sport as we know it or at the expense of "fans" then that's really not in his job description to question it. He's to act in their best interest, not "everybody's."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Imagine this scenario: your team goes 15-1, but instead of getting a bye week (which 1/2 seeds really deserve IMO) you have to prepare to play the 6/10 Also Rans who came third in a mediocre division.

So...you have to play a far inferior team and on the first snap your star QB goes down with a broken arm. Your goes in back-up loses a close game 24-21 and your season is over.

The Also-Rans go on to get their butts kicked 41-13 by the 12-4 Guys that your team beat by 10 points in the regular season.

Your QBs arms heals slowly and he's not back in time for the next season, your back-up gets you in an 0-4 hole that you don't quite get out of, missing the play-offs at 8-8 to the Also Rans who improved to 9-7.

Hellish idea.

You forgot the part where the team bus gets hit by lightning and everyone dies. Which is a shame because it's equally as likely.

....no it's not. Its far less likely. A good team suffering a season ruining injury in a mis-matched, ill-conceived game with the 16th best team in the league is perfectly feasible. I would be shocked if it didn't happen in the first 3 years of this plan being implemented (if it ever is).
ConvenientTruth

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
ConvenientTruth wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

Since when? You are aware that a CEO's primary loyalty (as well as his secondary loyalty) lies with the parent company and the Board of Directors who appointed him. In this case the BoD is the owners. Thus Goodell's primary objective is the maximize the profits for ownership. If they want to do so at the expense of the sport as we know it or at the expense of "fans" then that's really not in his job description to question it. He's to act in their best interest, not "everybody's."
I've been on this site for 6 years and it's still amazing to me that so few people on this site realize that FootballsFuture fans are not the fans the NFL cares about.

My mom couldn't tell the difference between Cover One and One Direction, but the NFL cares more about her than she does about me. She is a more important client to them and they will cater to her interests over mine.

Last edited by ConvenientTruth on Fri December 21, 2012 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
ConvenientTruth

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddog619 wrote:
Withmy89vision wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Jeez 16 teams. Brings to meaning to playoffs, they really dont mean anything. I think its ideal the way it is. 4 division champs / 2 wild cards. I dont mind change, but not this.

Agreed. This is one place where the NFL has it down as right as they can. Maybe some seeding issues, or issues with bad division winners taking a spot from a better team in a division that has been won by someone else 2008 Pats come to mind) but net/net, it's better than any other league.

Don't try to fix what ain't broke.

This. That is the reason why the NHL and NBA seasons are meaningless. You also lose the appeal to weeks 15-17 when everyone with marginal talent makes the playoffs.

NHL and NBA seasons aren't meaningless. So false. Sure over half the league makes the playofs but at least you got best teams winning. I can't say the same for NFL.
The last time a team seeded below 4 made the NBA's conference finals was 1999. The NBA regular season is more useless than the points on Whose Line is it Anyway? or [REMOVED].

Keep it clean.

Last edited by ConvenientTruth on Fri December 21, 2012 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Plush wrote:
well that's just not true at all.

You could have a 1-win team win a division.
Unless they tied a whole bunch with their divisional opponents, I do not believe so.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't read the thread but I think it's an awful idea and it waters down the playoffs.

Last edited by Vikefan79 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: