Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Anything (Non-Lions) Thread: Can't Stop FTW Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if Joe gets the Pistons in a position to win he can entice a free agent, if that's what he wants to do.

As a city Detroit is making slow steady progress. There are super star athletes from the other major sports.

Who really knows but I don't think Detroit is considered the same way it was in the past.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
DetroitWhat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
I think if Joe gets the Pistons in a position to win he can entice a free agent, if that's what he wants to do.

As a city Detroit is making slow steady progress. There are super star athletes from the other major sports.

Who really knows but I don't think Detroit is considered the same way it was in the past.

Yeah but we drafted stafford and calvin. Theres no way in hell lebron was thinking of coming here. Nba is different. The stars want to go to warm cities.
DetroitWhat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
DetroitWhat wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
I love Calderon

I love this trade as well. Calderon is a poor mans steve nash and may be better than nash at this point. Guy is a guaranteed 10 assists 10 points a game. He can really make your offense better. Poor defender but thats why we have drummond.

Hes probably gone if his contract is done at the end of the season but this frees us up to sign some players. Problem is we are never going to sign an elite talent. Cause no stars want to come to detroit.

Look for more ben gordon charlie V type of signing and more mediocrity for the years to come.
People used to say that about the Tigers, but money talks and it spoke Pudge's language.

We can land a star via trade as well fellas, there's more than one way to get'er done.

The problem though is in basketball lebron makes the same money whichever team he goes. Where as in baseball you can always bid more.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitWhat wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Yeah but we drafted stafford and calvin. Theres no way in hell lebron was thinking of coming here. Nba is different. The stars want to go to warm cities.

You may be right but I think Lebron went to Miami to try and win. It just happened to also be warm. Besides nothing stops today's players from living where they want. Players can spend the offseason at home, seasons rent an apartment in Detroit and schedule permitting fly home.

Honestly, I haven't followed the NBA very closely in a number of years so you may be right. However I've always believed free agents look for money, a team poised to compete for a championship followed by location.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
DetroitWhat wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
I love Calderon

I love this trade as well. Calderon is a poor mans steve nash and may be better than nash at this point. Guy is a guaranteed 10 assists 10 points a game. He can really make your offense better. Poor defender but thats why we have drummond.

Hes probably gone if his contract is done at the end of the season but this frees us up to sign some players. Problem is we are never going to sign an elite talent. Cause no stars want to come to detroit.

Look for more ben gordon charlie V type of signing and more mediocrity for the years to come.
People used to say that about the Tigers, but money talks and it spoke Pudge's language.

We can land a star via trade as well fellas, there's more than one way to get'er done.

I have this feeling too. It's a great trade. Jose Calderon is now the best distrubtor on the team. His defense is pretty bad, but he spreads the ball around nicely. Maybe they can play a duo of Calderon/Bynum and Let Stuckey/Knight play off the ball at 2. If the Calderon flops which, can be expected then we move on if he's semi-successful and more productive then lets say Bynum maybe we resign Calderon/draft a PG early? Idk, the money available alone with Monroe/Drummond duo on the team still is pretty nice.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing what we can do in the offseason. Having a lot of cap allows is plenty of trade options as well as free agent options since we don't have to equal cap space on trades. I think it's a solid move, and I hope we can use the resources right this offseason.

Also, I know Tay wasn't part of the future, but I'm sort of sad to see him go. I'm glad he gets to go to Memphis though and not Toronto.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the move in theory. Ultimately how Joe is able to use the available cap and who he acquires is what really counts.

Last time we had an abundance of cap it lead to Gordon and Charlie V. Seems to me this is Joe's final shot. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to add the "superstar" level player that this franchise needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope none of you guys ran into problems on I-75 today with that fatal car crash.

Very sad situation.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitWhat wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Has more to do with the market versus the weather. The other cities have a larger market for the NBA

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
DetroitWhat wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Has more to do with the market versus the weather. The other cities have a larger market for the NBA

I'm not a huge NBA guy so I might be full of it but there's also the issue of max contracts. A superstar will make the same no matter where he goes, so what incentive is there to come to Detroit?

Bigger market also means more publicity and thus more potential endorsement opportunities.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
DetroitWhat wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

I'm not a huge NBA guy so I might be full of it but there's also the issue of max contracts. A superstar will make the same no matter where he goes, so what incentive is there to come to Detroit?

Bigger market also means more publicity and thus more potential endorsement opportunities.

Yea you are spot on. LA, NY, Miami, Chicago even a larger market.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I can't listen to this song enough lately.

http://youtu.be/-sKDd9uOW-0

Sig bet
DetroitWhat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose Calderon is expected to play tonight for Pistons and start at PG, Knight moves to SG and Singler moves to SF

SWEET! maybe this means we resign calderon? doubt it
1King

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitWhat wrote:
Jose Calderon is expected to play tonight for Pistons and start at PG, Knight moves to SG and Singler moves to SF

Very possible. I'm more intrigued to see if this means we are looking to move Knight to SG full time.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitWhat wrote:

I'd love it if we do resign him. Him and Bynum at PG would be nice.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 63 of 100

Jump to: