Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Race to #1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: The Race to #1 Reply with quote

So here we sit at 2-12, tied with the Chiefs.

After the win by the Raiders over the Chiefs, we have all but locked up a top two pick. For all intents and purposes, we will either finish with the #1 or #2 pick, with any other outcome almost impossible. This, barring a shocking upset against the Patriots next week.

Chiefs final two games
vs Indianapolis Colts
@ Denver Broncos

Chiefs opponents total record (all 16 games)
112-112 - .500 Strength of Schedule

Jaguars final two games
vs New England Patriots
@ Tennessee Titans

Jaguars opponents total record (all 16 games)
120-104 - .535 Strength of Schedule (if Jets win)
121-103 - .540 Strength of Schedule (if Titans win)

Because of the strength of schedule, the Chiefs would be winning the first round pick if things are to be how they are right now.

Most of us already understand what this means for us. To get the #1 pick, we will either have to lose out and have the Chiefs win a game, or we need the teams on our schedule to start losing games so that we end up with a lower Strength of Schedule. Seeing that we will need to make up either 4 or 4.5 (dependent on the results on Monday Night) each of the next two weeks, this might not be too likely.

So it would seem that the most likely scenario that would net us a first round pick is going to have to involve the Chiefs winning one of their next two games. This is where it gets tricky. As we can see, the Chiefs have two playoff teams. So all hope might be lost.

The only scenarios that are truly likely to net us the first pick
Currently, the Broncos hold a one game lead over the Patriots for the #2 seed, however the Patriots hold the tiebreaker against the Broncos if they finish with a similar record.

The Broncos play the Browns next week before playing to the Chiefs. If the Browns were to beat the Broncos, that would put the Patriots back in the #2 seed, where winning out would net them a Bye. Conversely, if the Patriots were to lose to the Dolphins in Week 17, and the Broncos beat the Browns in week 16, the Broncos would earn the #2 seed.

Both of these instances would be independent of the results of the Chiefs/Broncos game. Note: With the Broncos beating the Ravens today, they locked up a top 3 seed.

Lucky for us, in Week 17, the Patriots and Dolphins play at 1PM, and the Broncos/Chiefs game is at 4:15pm, meaning that if either of the above outcomes were to play out, the Broncos may find themselves with nothing to play for come game time. As we know, Peyton Manning has a history of sitting in week 17 when everything is locked up, so it is not wholly unlikely that we could see a backup Broncos team facing the Chiefs with the stake of the #1 pick on the line. In fact, if the Broncos were to find themselves in a situation where they had nothing to play for, you might just see them *cough*throw the game*cough* to screw over a division rival.

So go Chiefs and Browns! or Chiefs and Dolphins! Question Question Question

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a race, i think we need some:

I saw it in a movie once. It will probably work i think...

Maybe...
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if...

Chiefs trade:

#1 overall pick

Jaguars trade:

#2 overall pick
QB Blaine Gabbert
DL Tyson Alualu (would fit well at 5T and would replace Glenn Dorsey who is leaving in FA and wasn't a good fit at 5T to begin with)

Is that anywhere near probable/fair/whatever the word should be or do I just need to go to sleep?

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Mr. V

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
What if...

Chiefs trade:

#1 overall pick

Jaguars trade:

#2 overall pick
QB Blaine Gabbert
DL Tyson Alualu (would fit well at 5T and would replace Glenn Dorsey who is leaving in FA and wasn't a good fit at 5T to begin with)

Is that anywhere near probable/fair/whatever the word should be or do I just need to go to sleep?

I'd be fine with that. What's the cap hit for trading Alualu?

I don't think we should trade for the 1st overall pick though. It doesn't matter what QB the Jags and Chiefs select, all of these QBs will only excel in certain offensive schemes/philosophies imo. The coaches will need to adapt to what the QB does best instead of getting the QB to do what the coaches believe is the only way to win.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically there is no hope... Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And CBS just screwed us out of the chance we had at the first pick. They moved the Pats/Fins game to 4:25, so there is no way the Broncos rest their starters.

- Best since day one -
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs SOS - .508 122-118
Jaguars SOS - .537 129-111

We made up 2 games on SOS, but it wasn't enough to get halfway there. Getting the #1 based on SOS isn't likely (it's probably impossible) at all at this point.

- Best since day one -
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Chiefs SOS - .508 122-118
Jaguars SOS - .537 129-111

We made up 2 games on SOS, but it wasn't enough to get halfway there. Getting the #1 based on SOS isn't likely (it's probably impossible) at all at this point.

Doing the math right now (so unofficial obvs), only way we get #1 is if we lose to Tennessee and Kansas City beats Denver.

Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't care much at this point. I'm more concerned with whether or not we go full-desperate and draft Geno Smith. I'm not sure how much it matters #1 or #2, as much as it depends on what both teams do at the draft.
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
I honestly don't care much at this point. I'm more concerned with whether or not we go full-desperate and draft Geno Smith. I'm not sure how much it matters #1 or #2, as much as it depends on what both teams do at the draft.
The only thing it really matters is that it takes the uncertainty of what KC is going to do and how that will affect us out of the mix.

- Best since day one -
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
The only thing it really matters is that it takes the uncertainty of what KC is going to do and how that will affect us out of the mix.

Watch them pass on Geno for Wilson and then us pass on Geno for Tebow

Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Tugboat wrote:

Watch them pass on Geno for Wilson and then us pass on Geno for Tebow

As long as that means we give nothing up to acquire 'The Tebow', i wouldn't even be mad.'
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt that KC loses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000116754/article/2013-nfl-draft-order-if-the-season-ended-today

JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Denver, sit Peyton!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: