Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Troy Brown, Deion Branch, David Givens and David Patten
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
So it was basically the Robert Edwards injury?

Edwards tore all 4 major ligaments and suffered fairly significant nerve damage. He didn't break anything. It was the nerve problems that really killed his career. Givens's problem in terms of coming back was the bone behind the knee.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
mattyl13 wrote:
What was the reason for Givens not making it back? I always thought he tore an ACL.. something they regularly come back from.

Quote:
As he exploded out of his cut, the inner workings of his left knee had the equivalent of a three-car highway pileup. The anterior cruciate ligament was torn. So was the meniscus - medial and lateral. The femur behind the kneecap broke off and shattered, as the knee shifted in directions it wasn't designed to go.

Four doctors turned him away for surgery because of the severity of the injury, and by the time Givens traveled to Birmingham, Ala., to see noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews, the words he was hearing were scary.

"He performed the surgery and basically told me that he hadn't seen such an extensive injury from a wide receiver," recalled Givens, who now has artificial bone plugs in his knee and leg. "He let me know that it was going to be very, very tough to come back from, and that it could be a process of three or four surgeries, or it just may take some time. That was very tough to hear."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/11/30/rerouted_receiver/?page=full

Ok. That's just about the most horrible sports injury I've heard of. Knocking Mariani off the top spot. Poor guy. Feel bad for including him in the post-Pat bust list now. Had no idea it was that bad.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 76 Yards: 1093 TDs: 11
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
mattyl13 wrote:
What was the reason for Givens not making it back? I always thought he tore an ACL.. something they regularly come back from.

Quote:
As he exploded out of his cut, the inner workings of his left knee had the equivalent of a three-car highway pileup. The anterior cruciate ligament was torn. So was the meniscus - medial and lateral. The femur behind the kneecap broke off and shattered, as the knee shifted in directions it wasn't designed to go.

Four doctors turned him away for surgery because of the severity of the injury, and by the time Givens traveled to Birmingham, Ala., to see noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews, the words he was hearing were scary.

"He performed the surgery and basically told me that he hadn't seen such an extensive injury from a wide receiver," recalled Givens, who now has artificial bone plugs in his knee and leg. "He let me know that it was going to be very, very tough to come back from, and that it could be a process of three or four surgeries, or it just may take some time. That was very tough to hear."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/11/30/rerouted_receiver/?page=full

Ok. That's just about the most horrible sports injury I've heard of. Knocking Mariani off the top spot. Poor guy. Feel bad for including him in the post-Pat bust list now. Had no idea it was that bad.

I'd say the worst leg injury:

Quote:
On September 5, 1994, during a Monday Night Football contest and the Raiders' opening game of the season at the San Francisco 49ers, McCallum's career ended prematurely when 49ers linebacker Ken Norton Jr. twisted him to the ground. As Norton and McCallum went down, McCallum's left cleat stuck in the ground, forcing his knee into a horrible dislocation. Norton lay pinned underneath a motionless McCallum for a couple of minutes while athletic trainers attended to McCallum.

McCallum suffered a complete hyperextension of his left knee, almost to a right angle. He suffered a ruptured artery in his left knee, and tore three ligaments, tore the calf and hamstring from the bone, and suffered nerve damage in the knee. He initially thought he'd only face a lengthy rehab, but McCallum's surgeon told him that there was no chance of him ever being medically cleared to play again. The surgeon said that he normally didn't see leg injuries this severe except in car accidents. Had the surgery not gone as planned, there was a chance his left leg would have been amputated

If you haven't seen it (it's gruesome):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT4kAKB2CT8
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bit of a trivial tangent: Anyone else find it weird that all 3 guys in NFL history named Napoleon were Raiders?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
BP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Givens was and still is one of the most underrated Patriots receivers IMO. Had he not bust his knee and stayed with the Patriots I'm pretty sure he would've eclipsed 1000 yards more than a few times. I'm pretty sure no other receiver has given Brady more confidence to throw him the ball and he'll come down with it. Those two had chemistry working on their side and they lit it up at the most inopportune times for the opposing defense. The stat that tells it all is he had a touchdown in all but his first playoff game (7/8). Remarkable post-season performer and I definitely thought he was as go-to in the clutch during their last two Super Bowl runs as Deion Branch was and equally as Troy Brown was in the first title run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: