Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 16: Other Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGShabba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson is so slippery.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGShabba wrote:
Wilson is so slippery.
If he doesn't have a nickname yet, I suggest 'Frogger'.

But seriously, literally any other year, he'd run away with OROY.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why defenses are so intent on pressuring Wilson. Keep him in the pocket and he's a much worse QB. This should be defensive coordinating 101.

I really think that he's a good bet for a big regression after this year and teams figure out ways to exploit his shortcomings in the pocket.
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I have no idea why defenses are so intent on pressuring Wilson. Keep him in the pocket and he's a much worse QB. This should be defensive coordinating 101.

I really think that he's a good bet for a big regression after this year and teams figure out ways to exploit his shortcomings in the pocket.

Because the 49ers can't play defense any other way.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Yeah, it's one of the big reasons I don't buy into them being a truly elite unit. Statistically, they're great. But they have some very big and exploitable flaws in their game.
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Yeah, it's one of the big reasons I don't buy into them being a truly elite unit. Statistically, they're great. But they have some very big and exploitable flaws in their game.

Which only makes it more maddening that Josh McDaniels is still employed by the Patriots. I made the big mistake of believing that the Pats would have come out in that game with a lot of misdirection and delays, and screened, countered and draw-ed the 49ers defense to death. Instead, McDaniels has Brady taking five step drops every play, playing right into what the 49ers like to do. They're great when you play their style, you'll never beat them like that.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

Wilson's accuracy and pocket presence makes it a necessity. He's not a typical scrambling QB who has to use his legs to compensate for a lack of passing talent.
And his deep ball is deadly. Taking that away from him is a must.

#RunTheEast
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Wilson's accuracy and pocket presence makes it a necessity. He's not a typical scrambling QB who has to use his legs to compensate for a lack of passing talent.

Pressure's not the way to do it. Moving him off his spot is not going to stop him. You have to stay disciplined in your lanes, and make him throw through windows - that thing that all short quarterbacks struggle with.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Thing is, his biggest weakness is his height. Allowing him to get into situations with clear passing lanes and where he can just chuck the ball up and have his receivers make a nice play on the ball is playing into his hands.

I still don't see him as a long term success in the NFL but he's definitely performed better than I thought he would thus far, so who knows.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Which only makes it more maddening that Josh McDaniels is still employed by the Patriots. I made the big mistake of believing that the Pats would have come out in that game with a lot of misdirection and delays, and screened, countered and draw-ed the 49ers defense to death. Instead, McDaniels has Brady taking five step drops every play, playing right into what the 49ers like to do. They're great when you play their style, you'll never beat them like that.

Yeah, McDaniels might be the biggest weakness the Patriots have headed into the post-season. I really hope the rumors of him leaving are true but I fear that he's the heir apparent to Belichick in New England.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Thing is, his biggest weakness is his height. Allowing him to get into situations with clear passing lanes and where he can just chuck the ball up and have his receivers make a nice play on the ball is playing into his hands.

I still don't see him as a long term success in the NFL but he's definitely performed better than I thought he would thus far, so who knows.
How can you not, after what you've seen out of him? His accuracy [especially his deep accuracy] is incredible for a rookie and his anticipation and recognition of defenses are also very advanced. And he's not the kind of guy who'll get lazy and live off his early success like Michael Vick did. I see him as a 12+ year starter barring injury.

I had my doubts, too, after the performances earlier in the season, but it seems beating the Pats was a real breakthrough for him. He's playing with a ton of confidence right now and making it pay off.

#RunTheEast
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice play there Moss.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

How can you not, after what you've seen out of him? His accuracy [especially his deep accuracy] are incredible for a rookie and his anticipation and recognition of defenses are also very advanced. And he's not the kind of guy who'll get lazy and live off his early success like Michael Vick did. I see him as a 12+ year starter barring injury.

Projecting anyone off of one year, especially a guy who runs a lot as a long-term starter seems a bit much for me. But, as I said, I think teams will figure him out a bit and he will settle into a career as a mid-tier QB who has some good years but is mostly pretty mediocre.
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

How can you not, after what you've seen out of him? His accuracy [especially his deep accuracy] is incredible for a rookie and his anticipation and recognition of defenses are also very advanced. And he's not the kind of guy who'll get lazy and live off his early success like Michael Vick did. I see him as a 12+ year starter barring injury.

I had my doubts, too, after the performances earlier in the season, but it seems beating the Pats was a real breakthrough for him. He's playing with a ton of confidence right now and making it pay off.

League adjustments are the big thing. I'm on your side on this one, but I could envision a scenario where the film gets out there and teams figure out how to limit what he likes and force him into being a strict pocket passer, and he fails to rise to the challenge. Certainly not betting on that scenario unfolding, though.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't see myself betting against a QB who's both fundamentally sound AND extremely accurate. Rookie or not; mobile or not. Height could be a factor, but it never has been for Drew Brees, and I don't see why it would be for Wilson, who also has great vision and a very high release point.

#RunTheEast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: