Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Formadible Championship capable group if healthy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Formadible Championship capable group if healthy Reply with quote

Here is why I think if healthy, we have one of the top defenses in the NFL and can be just as good as anybody else.

Vince Wilfork - he is to me the very best defensive tackle in the NFL and can play both defensive end and defensive tackle, making game changing plays just about every single Sunday. That alone can do so much more for others on the defensive line, especially creating for others.
Chandler Jones - when he was healthy, before his injury he was in the runnings for Defensive player of the year. He has that Jason Pierre-Paul athletic big body with speed that draws double teams. He still impacts plays without even getting to the quarterback. As soon as he is fully healthy, I'm sure that will start wreaking havoc again.

Kyle Love - underrated, nice against the run and can play inside and out.

Rob Ninkovich - can easily make the probowl with 8 sacks and 2 forced fumbles on the year. A poor man's Mike Vrabel that can still play outside linebacker and can rush the passer just about as good as anybody and during the biggest moments. Remember, he was making his mark when Chandler Jones was healthy on the other side.

Rotation of Jermaine Cunningham, and Trevor Scott. Both guys come in, play any position on the defensive side of the ball other than defensive back and do their job. Could start on any other team easily.

Jerod Mayo - top 5 linebacker, perhaps the best MLB in the AFC that can play both inside, outside and time blitzes really well. A tackling machine and great leader.

Brandon Spikes - best linebacker in NFL playing the run IMO, and very instinctive in regards to getting the ball particulary in coverage. For lack of speed he makes up in versatility, animal strength to shed blocks and instincts. Probowl caliber talent.

Dont'a Hightower - finally getting it as the game slows down for him. Starting to be a playmaker after a rocky start.

Aqib Talib - solid corner in run support and one of the best in coverage in the NFL. Made a difference once arrived, Enough said. Very sound tackler as well and physical.

Alphonzo Dennard - fearless rookie with talent and techniques of a seasoned veteran. One of the best young corners in the league already. Kept Andre Johnson in check for the entire Monday Night game.

Devin McCourty - a playmaker and one of the best at his position. Only issue was he can't play everybodies role in the secondary, but finally has enough help. A mainstay and difference maker at Free Safety it looks like. Like his rookie year, he still makes plays with the best of them.

Patrick Chung - believe it or not, has the potential still in my eyes to be one of the best, and definitely one of the best in hitting, tackling and playing around the line of scrimmage. Just remember the game vs Miami in 2010 Monday Night and the game previously against the Jacguars.. Just a matter of him staying healthy. And he is better in coverage, way better than what people realize.

Steve Gregory - above average in coverage, and has speed to cover slot receivers. Just not as good of a tackler as Chung, and doesn't have that talent potential that Chung has.

Tavon Wilson - 4 INTs as a rookie and can play corner.. Fast learning that is still learning but pretty Good.

Like I said before, with the talent I just mentioned above there can be alot of damage done to opposing teams on the defensive side of the ball as long as everyone stays healthy. Because the players and the talent are definitely there. Especially with the amount of guys you can move around.
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gregory a I think he has use on this team he's not good. Honestly I think its a leadership type/communication thing.

I still think trevor scott sucks and hope we only rotate cunningham in.

ChungI dislike and glad he'll be gone and hopefully Reed will be here.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is.......optimistic
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
I like Gregory a I think he has use on this team he's not good. Honestly I think its a leadership type/communication thing.

Ed Reed? ... you're joking, right? He will never leave the Ravens, just like Urlacher will retire before he leaves the Bears.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want Reed, and while I admit it might just be my Raven-hate talking, I don't understand what he offers other than a name. Every Ravens fan on this forum is calling his pro-bowl selection a joke. (And I agree from the little I've seen). All he can do is get INTs these days...and McCourty can do that and isn't one injury away from calling it a career.

EDIT: I also think you're too generous to Love. He is sometimes good against the run...and sometimes a flabby ragdoll against the run. Given playing next to one of the best run stopping DTs in the league, and with two solid tackling LBs behind him to cover his mistakes, his run stopping ability should generously be called average.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big (and only IMO) reason to sign Reed is he brings a knowledge and leadership that the Pats sorely lack in their secondary.

As an on-field talent, I don't see much reason to pine for him at this point.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
The big (and only IMO) reason to sign Reed is he brings a knowledge and leadership that the Pats sorely lack in their secondary.

And that experience will not be worth the money it will take to drag him out of Baltimore/retirement.
Donut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
Donut wrote:

Ed Reed? ... you're joking, right? He will never leave the Ravens, just like Urlacher will retire before he leaves the Bears.

Anything can happen. People would've said the same about Manning, LT, and Jason Taylor.
Belichick is in love w/ Ed Reed. Always a chance in FA he leaves for a real shot at a ring.
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Honestly that's all Gregory has been able to offer and Reed would upgrade. McCourty needs to get the point where he is a good communicating.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got this, we play Pats ball & we cannot be defeated. We are impregnable .
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"
HOVA333

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
Donut wrote:

Anything can happen. People would've said the same about Manning, LT, and Jason Taylor.
Belichick is in love w/ Ed Reed. Always a chance in FA he leaves for a real shot at a ring.
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Honestly that's all Gregory has been able to offer and Reed would upgrade. McCourty needs to get the point where he is a good communicating.

Could not agree more.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: