Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagh wrote:
pipe dream.....but....Jake Long?

He'd cost even more than Beatty, so I don't think that will happen. It would be nice though.

I'm curious to see if the Giants finally cave and draft some offensive line prospects early in this draft.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagh wrote:
pipe dream.....but....Jake Long?

Jake Long would be a much better fit in a Power Blocking system like the Giants, but there isn't a chance we would get him because there will be at least 1 team shelling out. Maybe Kyle Long lol?

I think the Giants should use a high pick on an OL, but with the current crop, its unlikely to be BPA unless maybe Lane Johnson.

This is an OL that I think the Giants should look at Round 4 or so. A beast of an athlete who just needs some polish.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=510001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I would pay Jake Long a couple of million extra over Beatty. Let Beatty and Boothe go and draft Barrett Jones in the first and put him in at Lg this year and next year slide him over to center.
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Boothe played like the average starting guard in the league. Deserves to be a starter. And he has the versatility to play center. He will be our starting LG next season.

We have much bigger holes at more important positions. Unless its the case of too much value to pass up (only one I have seen potentially that could be this is Warmack), I don't want a G round one.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some first round prospects I can see us looking at:

Barkevious Mingo- raw talent that if he falls, the giants will take a serious look
What I dont kike about him is the amount of stars on the LSUs defense could have boosted his stock.

Lane Johnson - although on a mediocre offensive line, the kid was a quarterback, tight end and defensive end before coming a tackle. Stands 6-6 and weighs 303 pounds. Moving up draft boards quickly. Only played right tackle for one year then left for his last year. My comparison to him is a tyron smith

Ezekiel ansah- this kid screams JPP. The ceiling cannot be seen for him. Never started a game until this year. At defensive end, he produced over 60 tackles, 13 for loss and 4.5 sacks. He wont be getting to the quarterback as much as Jpp but his run game is stout

I know many of us want a linebacker. But weve all wanted a first round linebacker since 2002. Look for them to build the trenches in the first 3 rounds with a secondary player thrown in there

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:

Barkevious Mingo- raw talent that if he falls, the giants will take a serious look
What I dont kike about him is the amount of stars on the LSUs defense could have boosted his stock.

Lane Johnson - although on a mediocre offensive line, the kid was a quarterback, tight end and defensive end before coming a tackle. Stands 6-6 and weighs 303 pounds. Moving up draft boards quickly. Only played right tackle for one year then left for his last year. My comparison to him is a tyron smith

Ezekiel ansah- this kid screams JPP. The ceiling cannot be seen for him. Never started a game until this year. At defensive end, he produced over 60 tackles, 13 for loss and 4.5 sacks. He wont be getting to the quarterback as much as Jpp but his run game is stout

I know many of us want a linebacker. But weve all wanted a first round linebacker since 2002. Look for them to build the trenches in the first 3 rounds with a secondary player thrown in there

I've seen Aaron Maybin comparisons to Mingo, and I can't disagree. I hope and believe he'll picked before us because if he falls, he will be BPA and the pick. He could go to Cleveland who is a 3-4 now and not get past Dallas who now runs a Tampa 2 4-3.

I would be really happy with Ansah or Johnson. I could see Ansah rising fast.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the measurements for the Senior Bowl OTs. Johnson has massive arms (35") for controlling speed rushers. As did Fisher (34") and Fluker (36").

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2013weighinOL.php

Biggest dissapointment that the Giants might have looked at in Round 2 is Oday Aboushi. I liked him until I saw 32 7/8" inch arms. Can't see him being a LT in the league. Those are OG arm lenght.

I know it isn't a be all and end all, but Arm Length is a trait I look at for potential LTs. Gives them the ability to regain controll of speed rushers if they lose a bit off the snap. And the NFC East has speed rushers at RE with Cole and Ware.

Last edited by fracdaddy14 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:

Just a friendly request from your mod (not something you have to do obviously, or anyone for that matter) but could you put positions for those of us who know nothing about college prospects? Very Happy Because, you know, I'm lazy and others may be too. Also this has nothing to do with me being a mod, just throwing my weight around.

On another note I wonder if there's some reluctance in the Giants FO to draft a LB in the 1st because of the immediate comparisons that would be made to another LB we took in the 1st...not that it'd be a fair comparison but it'd be made by some for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

Just a friendly request from your mod (not something you have to do obviously, or anyone for that matter) but could you put positions for those of us who know nothing about college prospects? Very Happy Because, you know, I'm lazy and others may be too. Also this has nothing to do with me being a mod, just throwing my weight around.

On another note I wonder if there's some reluctance in the Giants FO to draft a LB in the 1st because of the immediate comparisons that would be made to another LB we took in the 1st...not that it'd be a fair comparison but it'd be made by some for sure.

Oday Aboushi - OT from Virginia
Ezekiel Ansah - DE from BYU
Eric Fisher - OT from Central Michigan
D.J. Fluker - OT from Alabama
Lane Johnson - OT from Oklahoma
Kyle Long - OT from Oregon
Barkevious Mingo - DE from LSU
Manelik Watson - OT from Florida State

That's all of for page 9 I think.
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I would pay Jake Long a couple of million extra over Beatty. Let Beatty and Boothe go and draft Barrett Jones in the first and put him in at Lg this year and next year slide him over to center.

And I guess our aging 29th ranked defense will just fix itself? I'd be sick if we didn't go defense first round unless somehow Joeckel and Warmack fell to us. We went basically all offense last years draft. We need LBs DESPERATELY, Rivers and Boley are probably both getting cut.. Blackburn probably could get cut too, we need another starting CB because Webster was the worst starting CB last year and needs to go, and you don't know how T2 will return coming off an injury the past 2 years. Plus, he could get hurt again and Prince is injury prone too. And maybe a saftey depending on who's getting cut and if Rolle is going to be playing corner. We also need defensive tackles, because Canty may get cut unless he gets a pay cut, Austin hasn't been close to effective, Bernard's probably getting cut. So, offensive line is not a top priority, Eli Manning was the least sacked QB last year, and i'd be pissed if we spent one on a tackle. Defense needs to be fixed ASAP
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
Byrdman wrote:

And I guess our aging 29th ranked defense will just fix itself? I'd be sick if we didn't go defense first round unless somehow Joeckel and Warmack fell to us. We went basically all offense last years draft. We need LBs DESPERATELY, Rivers and Boley are probably both getting cut.. Blackburn probably could get cut too, we need another starting CB because Webster was the worst starting CB last year and needs to go, and you don't know how T2 will return coming off an injury the past 2 years. Plus, he could get hurt again and Prince is injury prone too. And maybe a saftey depending on who's getting cut and if Rolle is going to be playing corner. We also need defensive tackles, because Canty may get cut unless he gets a pay cut, Austin hasn't been close to effective, Bernard's probably getting cut. So, offensive line is not a top priority, Eli Manning was the least sacked QB last year, and i'd be pissed if we spent one on a tackle. Defense needs to be fixed ASAP

I agree. We really do need another young CB to develop.

How would you guys feel about Trufant in the 1st? He might or might not be there for us in the 2nd. 1st might be a little to high though.

No way does Warmack fall that far. But then again DeCastro did so there is always a slight ray of hope.
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think thats its so crazy to think we can get Long. He had an off year last year and this class of OT is pretty good.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggsam49 wrote:
I thought Boothe played like the average starting guard in the league. Deserves to be a starter. And he has the versatility to play center. He will be our starting LG next season.

We have much bigger holes at more important positions. Unless its the case of too much value to pass up (only one I have seen potentially that could be this is Warmack), I don't want a G round one.

Agree. Boothe can play center though, so moving him to center and getting a guard would not be out of the question.

^Stone85 on the sig^
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
Byrdman wrote:

We need to spend money or a draft pick on an OT. Yea Manning was the least sacked QB but...if we let Beatty walk that'll change.

I know we all agree on the CB thing but here are some stats on Websters...lovely season.

Quote:
988 yards he allowed in coverage (third highest of all cornerbacks), eight touchdowns he gave up (second highest) and 1.72 yards allowed per snap in coverage (seventh highest).

Yea. I also don't think much effort will be put into LB's. It never is. DL and DB's are where our bread and butter lie with the D. Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Byrdman wrote:

I agree. We really do need another young CB to develop.

How would you guys feel about Trufant in the 1st? He might or might not be there for us in the 2nd. 1st might be a little to high though.

No way does Warmack fall that far. But then again DeCastro did so there is always a slight ray of hope.

Trufant in the first is a large reach I think. If we are getting any corner in the 1st it will be Millner, Rhodes, Banks, or Poyer. Right now alot of people have Banks and Millner gone by 19. Out of Rhodes and Poyer, I would select Poyer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: