Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 JETS OFFSEASON THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Matt Simms had half of the talent his father did

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
jetskid007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
We honestly don't know who is pulling the trigger on the draft picks. It could be Rex with the most influence for all we know.

BRADWAY, who I do like, WAS THE ONE JUMPING UP AND DOWN ON TABLES TO TRADE UP FOR SHONN GREENE.

It's clear that Rex has had the most influence in terms of 1st round picks since he's been with the Jets, but what seems to be the main problem is finding talent deep in drafts.

Lets be honest, the Jets past two drafts have looked quite promising. We still need to see what we have in Hill, but if we get a good vertical passing coordinator in house I feel confident. Ellis, Powell, and Kerley are certainly some nice pieces, and Wilkerson looks to be a future All-Pro.

The real problems have been the guaranteed contracts that made us all happy because of the low cap number, but never capitalized with that excess spending money and now hamper the team going forward. It's also the 2008, 2009 and 2010 drafts. Most teams are built with 4th-6th year players, and there weren't any difference makers obtained in those drafts. Keller, Greene, Slauson (and Sanchez) could all be on the outs, and Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse, and Joe McKnight haven't developed into the players they were expected to be.

Tannenbaum will succeed elsewhere. He's a smart guy that understands the value of collaboration, but he needs to learn how to make his own decisions and give his scouting department more of a voice.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Mangini demanded Tannenbaum to draft Vernon Gholston, Tannenbaum has been making all picks by himself. He did draft to meet a coaching style of a head coach well.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:
We honestly don't know who is pulling the trigger on the draft picks. It could be Rex with the most influence for all we know.

BRADWAY, who I do like, WAS THE ONE JUMPING UP AND DOWN ON TABLES TO TRADE UP FOR SHONN GREENE.

It's clear that Rex has had the most influence in terms of 1st round picks since he's been with the Jets, but what seems to be the main problem is finding talent deep in drafts.

Lets be honest, the Jets past two drafts have looked quite promising. We still need to see what we have in Hill, but if we get a good vertical passing coordinator in house I feel confident. Ellis, Powell, and Kerley are certainly some nice pieces, and Wilkerson looks to be a future All-Pro.

The real problems have been the guaranteed contracts that made us all happy because of the low cap number, but never capitalized with that excess spending money and now hamper the team going forward. It's also the 2008, 2009 and 2010 drafts. Most teams are built with 4th-6th year players, and there weren't any difference makers obtained in those drafts. Keller, Greene, Slauson (and Sanchez) could all be on the outs, and Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse, and Joe McKnight haven't developed into the players they were expected to be.

Tannenbaum will succeed elsewhere. He's a smart guy that understands the value of collaboration, but he needs to learn how to make his own decisions and give his scouting department more of a voice.

That's what I have been saying as well. I think Tanny has had four good drafts (2006, 2007, 2011, 2012) and three poor drafts (2008, 2009, 2010). Unfortunately, now is when those three draft classes are supposed to be making their biggest impact. The impact of a poor draft is usually felt 3-5 years down the road, which we are experiencing now.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:
Since Mangini demanded Tannenbaum to draft Vernon Gholston, Tannenbaum has been making all picks by himself. He did draft to meet a coaching style of a head coach well.

That's what we read, but what makes it true?

From everything that was reported, it was Rex who pushed for Sanchez. Same went for Wilkerson and Coples, and who do you think pushed for a corner after trading for Cromartie in 2010?

You are correct, Tannenbaum has been making all of the picks himself. However, he has made decisions based on the coaches influence rather then those of the scouts. This isn't terribly bad, but every exec says that drafting "for the coach" per say can become toxic. The Jets need a player evaluator who will make his own decisions based on his own evaluations in collaboration with those on his staff-the scouts, coaches, etc.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
quietjetsket wrote:

That's what we read, but what makes it true?

From everything that was reported, it was Rex who pushed for Sanchez. Same went for Wilkerson and Coples, and who do you think pushed for a corner after trading for Cromartie in 2010?

You are correct, Tannenbaum has been making all of the picks himself. However, he has made decisions based on the coaches influence rather then those of the scouts. This isn't terribly bad, but every exec says that drafting "for the coach" per say can become toxic. The Jets need a player evaluator who will make his own decisions based on his own evaluations in collaboration with those on his staff-the scouts, coaches, etc.

Tannenbaum was also behind the Sanchez pick. Rex looks to have been right about Wilkerson and Coples. I have a feeling that he was pushing for Demario Davis, who I really like.

Outside of Sanchez and John Conner, I don't think Rex was really pushing for any of the other offensive picks. We know he was not the one pushing for Stephen Hill.
KBS756

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex Ryan should have an input with our drafting and player selection but whoever our GM is should be able to understand that Rex's strength is defense and his input should matter far more there than on offense. We need a GM who can be a team player as well as assert himself on decisions when he needs to.

Hope whoever we end up with doesnt reach for a QB despite our huge need at the position I dont see a QB early to push for. Go with the best player available on their board which hopefully would be a pass rusher in the first
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Steinberg is reporting that the jets have had internal talks about getting vick. Let's hope the new GM isn't on the same page.
KBS756

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Jake Steinberg is reporting that the jets have had internal talks about getting vick. Let's hope the new GM isn't on the same page.

Doesnt mean they will do it, but given the QB situation we are in we need to have all options on the table A,B,C,D, and maybe even E if needed.
xenajets

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:

By this he must mean Woody and Rex as a new GM hasn't even been announced and I'm guessing we will be getting a new OC so they should have the most say in all this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenajets wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

By this he must mean Woody and Rex as a new GM hasn't even been announced and I'm guessing we will be getting a new OC so they should have the most say in all this.

Think the QB decision is going to be 95% decided between GM and OC just pray we manage to find some decent veteran to hold us over to a franchise QB being found.
xenajets

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
xenajets wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

Think the QB decision is going to be 95% decided between GM and OC just pray we manage to find some decent veteran to hold us over to a franchise QB being found.

Exactly. Lets hope this is the case. The only problem I had with us keeping Rex was him wanting to bring everyone back for one last go at a SB when everyone knows this team is not even close. If we got Vick it would look more like one last shot, I think if Vick stayed healthy and we get a few nice players in the draft and FA then we could go 9-7 and get a wild card. Problem with that is I don't think we could create much problems in the playoffs but we wouldn't be looking to build through the draft instead we would go all out the year after and end up with no depth and too many guaranteed contracts to mediocre players.

Last edited by xenajets on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I doubt we make a major move like that without getting the GM first. It's just talk for now, just like the Rivers rumor. But we all know the new GM will make a move for a new QB anyway. So I wouldn't be shocked if we called just to see what the asking price was for both QBs

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
jimbo1904

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JETS MEDIA BLACKOUT...

Stupid NY media (Cimini) whining about media availability because all is quiet. there is specualtion (links below) that Rex's position isnt safe or that there could be some huge changes going on. I am PRAYING that Woody went to Rex and the team after releaving Tanny and said 'enough with the circus'... i dont want anyone talking to the media until "insert date". yes i know they HAVE to by Friday, but maybe the point is Johnson is saying I dont want bad PR anymore. I am tired of being openly mocked on national TV (espn, MNF, TNF), etc. Might be a new era and Woody might be making a stand... OR maybe somethings up.

Either way, reading Cimini cry is great. They hate the jets and make a big deal out of nothing. I dont know why he writes for a team he hates anyway. He suxs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19735/silence-of-the-lambs

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19743/rex-woody-will-speak-tuesday
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:

I don't buy these internal discussions and stuff, the staff is on break until Monday and they don't even have a GM. No one knows who is staying or going.

And didn't Rex say once that Tannenbaum gives him 1 pick to make in the draft or something?

It doesn't matter anymore, the Jets look to be after a GM with experience in identifying talent, hopefully they get someone strong as GM who is a leader and knows football, knows talent, and can build this team back up.

Props to El Ramster on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: