Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Choice time: Williams or Stewart?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which RB would you rather hang on to?
DeAngelo Williams
55%
 55%  [ 22 ]
Jonathan Stewart
45%
 45%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 40

TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever would cost less to cut and free up more space.

But if it's just on ability, give me Stewart.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough for me to say, since Williams is one of my favorite Panthers of all time, but I'll take Stewart.

The age-difference is just too skewed in Stewart's favor. Stewart is every bit as capable of catching the ball out of the backfield and turning those screen plays into long gains and scores. He's harder to bring down, rarely getting stuffed in the backfield, which happens to Williams quite a bit. That's not really Williams' fault because it's often the offensive lines fault and the defender is in his face as soon as he gets the handoff, but when it happens to Stewart, he's more capable of escaping.

The only argument I'd see for Williams is that he is more capable of being a gamebreaker. It isn't that he's more explosive or much faster than Stewart, because they're not too far apart in terms of those attributes. But Williams is more of a threat to break long gains because his vision is better. The problem there is that the vision doesn't help him find a hole when the offensive line can't open one for him. So Stewart's bulk and leg drive allow him to pick up more yards in situations where the offensive line play is suspect.

And since our line isn't the best (here's to hoping they can at least take a step in the right direction/fix it), Stewart's a better fit for us. That being said, I'd choose Williams if he were 27 or 28 instead of 30, because Tolbert does provide us with a bigger, tougher runner. But he's not, so I'd go with Stewart.

As far as whether we are able to find a trading partner, I'm not so sure we will. I wonder if the new GM would decide to cut one of them to free up cap space if he's unable to make a trade. We are really hurting for cap space, so we're going to have to make some tough personnel decisions that we wouldn't otherwise make if not for the monetary situation.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
atown703

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWilly and Tolbert combo the best.. if only Stewart could stay healthy for one season

PSN id - Kemikalmbalinsce
Panthers27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atown703 wrote:
DWilly and Tolbert combo the best.. if only Stewart could stay healthy for one season

He has played in 16 games in every season but two, this season and in 2010 when he missed 2 games...you people need to research this stuff!
Panthers11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atown703 wrote:

He does, a lot.

Stewart is the clear answer here.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
rjkilla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll go with Tolbert and a late round pick. there's no reason to spend this much money when you can find serviceable RBs everywhere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without researching it, I'm willing to bet that Stewart has appeared on the injury report more than Williams has. He may have been active for games, but has been limited a lot more.

It's a tough decision for sure. We can all agree that Williams is more explosive, but I'd take Stew for the fact that he can get those short yardage situations a lot more consistantly that Williams, who is caught running east and west a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
Whoever would cost less to cut and free up more space.

But if it's just on ability, give me Stewart.

i actually completely agree with the first part of this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we have too much money tied up in the backfield period, especially that the fact that we don't have a feature back. I wouldn't mind paying Stewart or Williams the money they are getting if they were a true feature back getting 20-30 touches a game. The guys got paid because they are fan favorites, not because they were a feature back or one produced more than another, this is a problem.

We know both can produce if given the right play calls and the touches. Williams is going to give you that home run hitter type back, while Stewart is a grinder that's going to always get you positive yards.

If it's up to me, we would get rid of Stewart this year based on his age and the number on his contract, which makes his trade value higher. I would expect we could get anywhere from a 2nd to a 3rd for him and would be an immediate fit as someone's primary back. Teams like Packers, Dolphins, Steelers, Jets, Colts, and Broncos are all teams with questionable running games. A Jonathan Stewart would be an immediate improvement to what they already have there. This would also give the Panthers the most immediate cap relief; as I do not think that teams will buy into the contract that we gave Deangelo, regardless if he can still go with the best of them or not purely based on age and the horrendous terms of the contract.

With the pick we acquire for Stewart, I would look to find his cheaper replacement. Prospects like Giovanni Bernard, Andre Ellington, Eddy Lacy, and Montee Ball are all guys that would be available between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then again, we could always postpone finding the future RB to the 2014 draft and let Williams/Tolbert carry the load with a guy like Armand Smith being the 3rd guy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
I wonder if a new regime might consider letting go of both. Really depends on how the contracts really break down (in terms of penalty to cut, etc), but I could see that as a possibility. With how much Cam is used in the running game, and Tolbert's great situational value, I think its possible.

Cam is used so much in the run game because of Chud. A new regime means no Chud, which likely mean more work for our RB's so I don't think getting rid of both is too likely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I think that we have too much money tied up in the backfield period, especially that the fact that we don't have a feature back. I wouldn't mind paying Stewart or Williams the money they are getting if they were a true feature back getting 20-30 touches a game. The guys got paid because they are fan favorites, not because they were a feature back or one produced more than another, this is a problem.

We know both can produce if given the right play calls and the touches. Williams is going to give you that home run hitter type back, while Stewart is a grinder that's going to always get you positive yards.

If it's up to me, we would get rid of Stewart this year based on his age and the number on his contract, which makes his trade value higher. I would expect we could get anywhere from a 2nd to a 3rd for him and would be an immediate fit as someone's primary back. Teams like Packers, Dolphins, Steelers, Jets, Colts, and Broncos are all teams with questionable running games. A Jonathan Stewart would be an immediate improvement to what they already have there. This would also give the Panthers the most immediate cap relief; as I do not think that teams will buy into the contract that we gave Deangelo, regardless if he can still go with the best of them or not purely based on age and the horrendous terms of the contract.

With the pick we acquire for Stewart, I would look to find his cheaper replacement. Prospects like Giovanni Bernard, Andre Ellington, Eddy Lacy, and Montee Ball are all guys that would be available between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then again, we could always postpone finding the future RB to the 2014 draft and let Williams/Tolbert carry the load with a guy like Armand Smith being the 3rd guy.

I think Armand Smith might actually be a pretty decent RB. I love both guys a lot.

If it was just between the two of them I'd probably take Stewart. But considering our situation and Stew's trade value. I'd probably take Williams/Tolbert. But I actually think both will be retained.

I'd the targets we'll see cut could be J. Anderson, Hangartner, Sherrod Martin, and Clausen. A lot of people think Gamble is expendable but he's one of the top CB's in the game and we need a guy like him to bring along J. Norman, and J. Thomas. Munnerlyn is probably going to be gone imo.

Gross and Beason must be restructured. I'd like to see us keep both Ron and Dwan Edwards. But I'd pick Dwan over Ron. Unless we could restructure one of those guys is probably gone.
BringinDaPain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
boondock wrote:

I think Armand Smith might actually be a pretty decent RB. I love both guys a lot.

If it was just between the two of them I'd probably take Stewart. But considering our situation and Stew's trade value. I'd probably take Williams/Tolbert. But I actually think both will be retained.

I'd the targets we'll see cut could be J. Anderson, Hangartner, Sherrod Martin, and Clausen. A lot of people think Gamble is expendable but he's one of the top CB's in the game and we need a guy like him to bring along J. Norman, and J. Thomas. Munnerlyn is probably going to be gone imo.

Gross and Beason must be restructured. I'd like to see us keep both Ron and Dwan Edwards. But I'd pick Dwan over Ron. Unless we could restructure one of those guys is probably gone.

Anderson's contract is very friendly in my book so why cut him? As for Martin, how can you cut a FA? Yea, I would like to cut Clausen too but who would be Cam's backup? DA only signed a 1 yr deal last yr, so we would have to draft or get someone in FA.
Totally agree about Beason either he restructures or cut bait.

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
Rays_Peeps34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, if DWill restructures, I can see him staying. Stew and Tolbert will both stay, I want Deangelo too stay, I just think he needs too restructure, he seems like a reasonable enough guy too want too do that for the team.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its simple.

get rid of one.
zero reason to find a replacement.
dont eliminate cam in the run game, thats plain stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
its simple.

get rid of one.
zero reason to find a replacement.
dont eliminate cam in the run game, thats plain stupid.

We can't afford to continue running Cam like we do, at some point we have to find a replacement for him. Cam's useful career will not be as long if we continue to run him the way we do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: